Encouraged to host longer stays?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Encouraged to host longer stays?

I just got this message on my account "We have noticed that guests in your area are looking for longer stays close to home. Consider updating your length of stay. Help out your community. Get started here."

We use our cottage as a weekend place and have no interest in longer-term guests. It seems ironic if everyone is being told to stay put that Airbnb wants them to stay put in the place that realistically we would go to ourselves if one of us got sick and really needed to be away from others. I now have the option of approving longer stays than my 7 night limit. I won't be doing that. Not all of our guests have cancelled.  How is this helping out my community?

Is anyone else seeing this message or is this something just in my market?

44 Replies 44
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wish you every luck @Laura2592  I was just sharing my experience as someone who works for my health service who has seen first hand the impact of the spread of this virus and as a host.

It is not about shaming but helping everyone to be aware of best practice when it comes to containing the virus. We all have to make decisions which we feel comfortable with.

We are only a few weeks behind Iran and Italy with expediential increases in the virus and number of deaths expected  in Europe and North America.

In some parts of the UK self catering and B&B places have been ordered to shut down because of the high numbers flocking to them and the risk it presents. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets put into place across the country here.

@Helen3  I won't go into who I work for but suffice it say that I have very first hand experience with the latest and greatest info on this situation. We are all trying to do our best. I will be continuing to host as long as I am in compliance with recommendations. I respect that others make different choices for any number of reasons. 

@Laura2592 @Helen3 

Because people's understanding of *nonessential travel* differs so much..... that's why so many areas have ended up having to enforce lockdowns.

However I look at it..... I wouldn't consider spending a couple days holed up in a cabin as *essential* travel. 

I agree @Jessica-and-Henry0 it is sad to see so many people put others at risk by travelling to holiday destinations and out of the way destinations and so many hosts refusing to do the right thing and close their places to minimise the risk of it spreading in their communities.

Sadly for some remote hosts, out of sight is out of mind and they are happy to have people book in areas that they don't live in.

@Laura2592 Do your thing, don't mind what fear mongering or shame other hosts try to impose on you. You have a separate house and I'm sure you take plenty of precautions. 

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

This longer term stay suggestion is likely prompted by two things:

1. People are getting stranded if they've been unable to be repatriated to their home countries, and therefore need somewhere to "shelter in place"; and

2. Health care workers are needing to self-isolate from their families while they respond to this crisis. Having the ability to count on a place for a longer period of time would likely give them peace of mind during this difficult time.

Personally, I don't accept stays longer than 28 days to avoid landlord/tenant regulations, and I currently have my listing snoozed, as I'm self-isolating after a return from overseas. I haven't made up my mind yet, as to whether I'll be offering our listing to health care workers or not. I'm not sanguine about my ability to offer essentials (like toilet paper) 2 weeks from now, so I can't make this decision presently anyway.

@Jennifer1421 the toilet paper thing is an issue. We had to get commercial rolls (office style, 5 rolls in one, they are huge) and let guests know not to abscond with them or other cleaning supplies. 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Please also keep in mind that not only health care workers are looking for longer stays. There are pregnant women and mothers of very young children who are very anxious about being in large cities right now. 

@Ann783 good point. I would rethink my stance if contacted by a guest in that situation. 

I hadn't thought of that @Ann783 - thanks for bringing it up as a factor!

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Considering that on March 17th there were 5,000 reported cases in the US and today, less than a week later we are at 40,000 I'd say @Helen3  is giving solid advice. I don't care who you work for or what you "think" you know, those numbers don't lie and if you think people don't need to alter their daily life to help slow the spread you are delusional. Heck, this morning we were at 35,000 so in a matter of hours more than 5,000 new cases have been reported.

At least one of our local municipalities has banned short term rentals. And we had to close our beaches because people think this is one big vacation and refused to practice social distancing.

I personally wish we could just shut everything down for two weeks and maybe we could move on with "normal" life a lot faster. It's this piecemeal effort that is going to drag it out and hurt us even more in the long run. Those people who think, "Well, I can still travel if I'm careful" are the ones who are ruining it for the rest of us.

@Suzanne302  its really important to be supportive of one another on these forums as I know this is a loaded topic. Personal attacks, taking sides on how this entire issue is managed, and emotional debates are not the point of this thread. I am sorry that we don't all agree with one another on the best way to handle this. I am sure its very stressful for many people for many different reasons. Let's try to stay on topic.

Do you see the message referenced in your own listing? My question was directed at those in different markets than mine, and you are 🙂

@Laura2592Just to be clear there is absolutely nothing in my response that is a personal attack, on anyone, so I don't appreciate you insinuating that there is.

@Suzanne302 I  am so sorry that you are offended.  Best of luck to you. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Laura2592 @Suzanne302 @Jennifer1421 @Helen3 @Ann783 

I have not received this message.

Regarding the importance of being supportive, it's not a good practise to be supportive of bad practises.

With reluctance I have canceled bookings from people traveling a few hours and planning to self-isolate at our places. Because neither they nor I can be sure they will not expose themselves or others with (maybe unplanned) stops or shopping, and turning over the houses requires our cleaners to be out and about in the community. We've also canceled our own upcoming visit, for the same reasons.

These were difficult decisions, but it's really clear, to me, that governmental authorities were and remain way behind the curve on this thing, and individual action beyond governmental requirements is in order.

I would be happy to donate the use of my spaces to local first responders or healthcare workers needing to self-isolate. But I just can't live with the possibility of contributing to the looming overload of the systems those people support and we all depend on, by enabling any nonessential travel.

https://covidactnow.org/