Help encouraging guest reviews

Answered!
Kerry-Phil0
Level 5
Healesville, Australia

Help encouraging guest reviews

As seems to be common with many other hosts, I am finding that guests are quite happy to stay without leaving a review. I have tried a few different things to encourage reviews such as sending guests a message after they leave to notify them that I left them a great review and requesting them to be sure to review us and mentioning to guests in person the importance of the review system and how it works but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I have been thinking about now sending them a message or communicating with them in person to let them know that as soon as we get the notification that they have reviewed us, we will be happy to do the same for them. Because really, why waste time reviewing someone who won't return the favour? Unless of course it is for a guest who has behaved poorly, in which case I would always write an honest review to warn other hosts.

Just wondering if this fits within the review parameters (e.g.: could it be seen as coercion?) and if it is ok, if anyone has found this method successful?

Also, how do other hosts go about educating guests about star ratings and how Airbnb interprets them? I find it really frustrating that guests will wax lyrical about our accommodation to our faces or in written reviews but then give us less than 5 stars, and can't help but feel that if they knew a bit more about the strict nature of the star system they would be more inclined to give us full marks. 

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 Best Answer
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

It is frustrating when you've put your heart into a good hosting job & you don't get feedback where it counts. At the same time, think of how many services/purchases you make where they want a review. Some people just aren't that invested in the Airbnb process and consider the transaction done when they leave your place.

Including an ask for honest feedback in your "thanks for visiting" note might be helpful, but they also receive several reminders from Airbnb to complete the survey. It seems some of my less satisfied guests don't leave reviews, so I figure it's just as well to not push them into leaving a lukewarm response.

Personally, I wouldn't hold my review hostage for theirs. For the people who are going to leave a review, the implied "I won't do this for you if you don't do this for me" might leave a sour taste in their mouth. For the people who can't be bothered, I doubt you'll change their behavior.

Some hosts have started leaving a copy of the recent Forbes article in their guest materials & show some of the issues with the current rating system.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/06/29/the-one-issue-with-airbnb-reviews-that-causes-host...

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Jennifer100
Level 2
Washington, DC

I've found that leaving them a review right after will often prompt guests to reciprocate. I think reaching out with a personal message may be too much. As for the star education, I've wondered the same thing but haven't had any brilliant ideas yet. Let me know if you do!

Is there a way to leave a review for a guest before Airbnb prompts you for the review? I have looked and have been unable to find a place to do that even after they have already checked out. I usually have to wait for Airbnb to send me the link.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

It is frustrating when you've put your heart into a good hosting job & you don't get feedback where it counts. At the same time, think of how many services/purchases you make where they want a review. Some people just aren't that invested in the Airbnb process and consider the transaction done when they leave your place.

Including an ask for honest feedback in your "thanks for visiting" note might be helpful, but they also receive several reminders from Airbnb to complete the survey. It seems some of my less satisfied guests don't leave reviews, so I figure it's just as well to not push them into leaving a lukewarm response.

Personally, I wouldn't hold my review hostage for theirs. For the people who are going to leave a review, the implied "I won't do this for you if you don't do this for me" might leave a sour taste in their mouth. For the people who can't be bothered, I doubt you'll change their behavior.

Some hosts have started leaving a copy of the recent Forbes article in their guest materials & show some of the issues with the current rating system.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/06/29/the-one-issue-with-airbnb-reviews-that-causes-host...

Thanks 🙂

Love that Forbes article, def worth providing to guests as a bit of education without it being too confronting.

I agree that I would rather have no reviews than a lukewarm one so maybe I will can the idea.

But I still think I am going to refrain from reviewing guests unless I get one in return for the moment, just maybe not say it to them as I was initially thinking about. Unless it is a particularly good or bad guest, in which case a review is warranted

I feel like after you get 20 or so good reviews, it doesn't really matter about reviews (unless you're aiming for super host status).

The review system is a total nightmare for me at the moment. My last two have been really irritating. The first one, the guests thought they'd booked the entire apartment and brought an extra person to my flat. I saw a bad review coming right from the start and they one stared me for everything. They arrived 7 hours later than they said, I got a one star for arrival. I was prompt with all my communications with them...one star, location ( right in the center of Barcelona,) one star.

Then my most recent one " The place isn't super nice/fancy (thus the 4 stars)" They gave me five stars for everything except value and over all experience. I agree, my place isn't super nice or fancy. It's bunk beds in a room which is totally clear in the pictures. I'm not trying to offer top end accomadation. I almost wonder if I had a hot tub, helicopter pad, gym, etc would they have given me 5? I wish Airbnb would maybe email guests on the criteria for reviewing properties. They need to know that reviews should be based on what we offer to what we deliver. They seem to have compared me to other airbnbs they've stayed in which is ridiculas as we are all totally different.

I actually think that with my second review if I'd have been able to explain this to them then they may not have been so harsh as they were decent enough people. Obviously I didn't know until they'd posted it. I feel they just didn't understand how reviews are meant to work on Airbnb.(They still gave me 4 stars). 

With the first review I knew I was doomed within the first five minutes of meeting them as they clearly weren't getting what they imagined they were. If they had spent as much time reading my listing as they did on their review then I doubt I'd have been in this position.

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.”

Stephanie6
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Hi @Kerry-Phil0, Before you accept a request to book, if the guest has been reviewed check to see that the guest reviewed the previous host.  You can click on the "host" icon in the review of the guest and scroll through the reviews of the host.  I once accepted a booking from a guest who had been reviewed twice, but never written a review.  Sure enough, she did not write a review for her stay with me.

Most of my guests do write reviews and I never ask them to.  Instead, shortly they check out, I inspect the apartment and if everything looks good (I will not need to contact the resolution center) I send a message saying something like "Thanks for staying with us!  Have a lovely time in Napa..."  "We enjoyed hosting you and hope to see you again!"  This is my way of letting them know that I am happy with the condition of the apartment and would let them stay again.

Claudia526
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

I had a guest who decided to come as a getaway with her couple.  She didn't know that Historic town is not for honeymooners but to enjoy night life. Her experience didn't match her expectations so she blame me for her wrong decision to book in Málaga center.  Her review was not about the flat but personally.  It should be a way to have reviews for the host separated from the physical  place. Be a good host it's not related to likes or dislikes of the location,  misinformed about the city, psychological issues, constructions and renovations in the city,  noise level permitted by local laws, customs and manners of local people....

Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

@Kerry-Phil0

I message each guest with this:

"Hi Paul & Bridget, We really enjoyed hosting you and hope we provided a 5 star stay. Please leave a review at your earliest convenience. Most kind regards & Happy travels! Vanessa & Kurt"

Right after they pull out of the driveway reminding them not only to leave a review but hopefully a hint of my expectation of 5 stars. It has worked excellent so far.