Enforcing a cancellation policy when a guest wants to change reservation during their stay

Enforcing a cancellation policy when a guest wants to change reservation during their stay

Hi all,

I've done a bunch of research on the forums, but I have a question about what to do next.  We have a guest who is staying for several days and, on the day they checked in, informed us that they were going to significantly shorten their reservation due to a change of plans.  They sent through an alteration request, which we now need to accept or decline.  We have a moderate cancellation policy, and I don't want to simply accept the alteration request because we depend on the income and would be unable to re-book the dates.  They also didn't tell us until check-in.  If I decline it, we're at an impass.  So, should we tell the guest that this change is subject to our cancellation policy, and that they need to cancel the unused dates via Airbnb and be refunded 50% of their unused dates?  Or should we send them a credit for 50% of the unused dates?  Or do you suggest another course of action?

Thank you!

Adam

13 Replies 13
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

It's peak high season in Seattle. Tell guests you kickback their money, if you get booked.

Then, INCREASE the price of the unit. 

It will get booked.

Win-win

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I've seen hosts say that they can't alter after a reservation begins... you could try the tack of telling them that once a reservation begins then it is subject to cancelling, not altering?? It can add some expediency if you tell them that if they cancel quickly it may be able to rebook and then you will be able to refund them more $

Peggy-and-Sean0
Level 2
Mill Valley, CA

Same thing is happening to me with a guest leaving early. Unfortunately there seems to be only one choice - accept their change or deny it. If you accept, they get an instant refund and your calendar is unblocked. If you deny, you can offer a refund but I can't seem to figure out how to unblock the dates. Maybe someone has another solution? 

We just went through something similar.  The guest came and started complaining the minuted they got out of their van including a 15 minute tirade about another airbnb they stayed at and left.  Long story short the morning after check in we got a msg from airbnb stating the guest was unhappy wanted a refund and it included a long list of complaints.  The complaints were not real, he was making excuses to get out of the listing with a full refund.  We have a strict no refund policy.  We sent in all the photos showing airbnb that the complaints were bogus.  He decided to leave sent us a msg saying he was leaving, checking out.  I notified airbnb.  He kept pursuing a refund which I kept refusing.  So 2 days later he demanded we allow him to come back since he could not get a refund.  Airbnb told us he had the legal right to do so since his reservation was not cancelled, even though he told us he was checking out through airbnb messaging.  They left a huge mess and did some damage as well which of course he denied but I had photos.  In the end he realized that if I went after him for 6 1/2 hours of additional cleaning fees because he left and then wanted to come back and damages it would possibly cost him even more.  He tried to tell airbnb I only brought that up as a way to either come back or get a refund, fortunately there were messages and phone calls from me to airbnb on the day he left, its been quite the learning curve.  We now require guests to sign off on everything we go over in the check in orientation for the trailer including listing all visible damage and we take photos before and after their visit, they are given a copy and we keep the signed copy in case of any disputes such as the trailer not being level, or hydro not grounded, lack of hot water etc etc or damages.  Before you accept or deny I'd call airbnb and get them to specifically outline your rights as a host because the website is vague and leaves a lot of grey areas. And tell the person you are speaking with to verify it in a written msg to you, they don't volunteer a whole lot of information upfront in my experience.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Peggy-and-Sean0   Do not accept any change to the reservation. Do not accept any message regarding cancellation. Decline. He's trying to get out of your strict policy. Tell him if he cancels immediately any days you can rebook you will refund him. The sooner he cancels to open up the dates the better his chances for getting some of his money back.

FYI for now and the future:

DO NOT CANCEL a reservation, DO NOT ACCEPT any message about cancelling, changing or refunding DECLINE it a loophole that comes back to bite you and gives guests back their service fees and/or voids your cancellation policy (changing dates) or the cancellation is now on you, not the guests (accepting cancellation). DO NOT REFUND anything until actual cash has been given to you by AirBNB. If you refund they will take the money from you and a lot of times guests get refunded from both AirBnB and you if you do this, then you have a fight to get your money back. Tell the guest you do not deal with the booking funds that is all on AirBnB's end.

Emma277
Level 2
Northampton, United Kingdom

Hi Letti

Thanks for posting this - for clarity, do you know what is the correct process is for a guest wishing to cancel a number of dates from their original reservation after check-in i.e. shortening their original stay (that doesnt negatively impact the host) Should they contact AirBnB customer service directly? I think my current guest may do this, and I'd like to be informed in advance.

Also, I wonder if you know the answer to the following- if a host was happy to accept a change to a reservation after check-in i.e. to shorten the reservation, would those dates become available for another potential guest to book?

Many thanks

Emma

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Emma277  He needs to call AIrBnB to cancel for the dates if the reservation is already in progress for the dates to be reopened and your cancellation policy will be in place. If you change the dates he gets he's money back, but again AirBnB needs to be called by him to alter the dates if the reservation is already in progress. You can only Alter/Change a reservation before it begins after AirBnB needs to do it. 

Emma277
Level 2

Thanks so much Letti

One final query, if the guest wants to reduce the number of nights after check-in, would the guest ask AirBnB to change the reservation or cancel the dates they don’t want? 

It’s quite confusing at times. 

Thanks again 

Emma

@Emma277  The guest would need to ask AirBnB. You can decline date changes and then the guest must cancel. If you agree to the date change you will not get paid for that timeframe. If the guest cancels you will get paid according to your cancellation policy. 

Emma277
Level 2

Ok, that really helps. Thank you.

For me, it will depend on how much notice they give me to decide on best option. 5 days notice or more, then I would agree to a changed reservation, as I’m sure I would fill the gap. Any less, then it would have to be a cancellation (but I’d refund the balance of their fees if the room was rebooked on their cancelled dates - a goodwill gesture).

Thanks again - you’ve really helped me decide my preferred course of action in these instances. 

Em

Debbie96
Level 8
Oxford, United Kingdom

I have a guest with me right now with a long reservation.  He now has an offer from a friend to stay for 'free' or for much less.   I have documented through the AIRBNB msg service what he said at the breakfast table about "enjoying our breakfasts and being very happy with his room and stay"....he confirmed this with a return message.   

He has now sent a change request, after today's check out time, to check out today.   While I have a moderate cancellation policy, the refund does NOT reflect the fact that I should be receiving 50% of the remainder number of days.

Given he wants to leave today, I'm told him that I cannot approve his checkout until AFTER he checks out.   Which makes total sense to me.   Once he's gone, I can then deal with the discrepancy of pay out and how much.   I feel that doing otherwise would increase the the threat of a potential revenge review.   

Valerie-A26
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

I have a guest who booked for 2 months ---but a cousin offered a free room -----and this guest was able to alter the dates and escape the cancellation policy. Very sly.  This kind of thing has apparently caught on. It is too weird for me, so i have decided to stop hosting while I'm ahead . Before something even worse happens.

Fran9832
Level 1
Marco Island, FL

I had a guest last November book for 28 days.  Eighteen days into the booking, they messaged me about a death in the family and needed to leave that day.  They did not ask for a change, but I called Airbnb and was told that they would enforce my cancelation policy unless I decided otherwise.  I never actually asked if the guest would receive any refund, but assumed that they would not.  I decided to issue a refund for 10 days as it appeared to be a legitimate emergency and good karma.  I guess if they were not telling truth, it is on them.  Airbnb then sent a change request, reconfigured my payout and service fee, and opened up my calendar for booking.  I would not recommend sending the guest a refund outside Airbnb as the calendar would remain blocked and the service fee would be paid at the original booking price.