Enormous costs added to rate by Airbnb

Brett0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Enormous costs added to rate by Airbnb

I am sending a special offer to a guest in Holland and when it says on my side that he will be charged ZAR18 029 [South African Rands], he gets offered 1 261 Euros, which converts to ZAR 21 005. This is a huge discrepancy and can no way be explained by exchange rates or charges. Simply, I make him a special offer of 1082 Euros and he gets charged 1261 Euros on his side. This is a discrepancy of 179 Euros, over 15%! How is this possible? I've never had this happen before.

2 Replies 2
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

I'm not sure...keep in mind that the service fee added by Airbnb is 6-12%, and then on top of that there is exchange rate issue.  So it's possible this comes to 15% total. To find out exactly what is occurring with the numbers in any given case, you might find it helpful to go on your listing and view your listing as if you were the guest wanting to book your own listing.  You enter the dates that the guest will stay on your listing, and then you will see a price breakdown, just as the guest sees it.  This will be in your own currency though.  But it will at least show you what % is the Airbnb fee so you can understand that.  

Jessa0
Level 10
Ngorongoro, Tanzania

Could it be the Rand free-falling and tumbling around with no end in sight lately and airbnbs exchange rate converter going crazy? My prices (Euro) have been showing up in USD and wrong lately, currency converter issue?