Enough already, no more discounts

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Enough already, no more discounts

I re-opened the calendar for my long-term rental apartment four days ago.  Since then I've received six inquiries, and four of them have requested an additional reduction beyond the monthly discount that's already offered.  I have done some searches in my area, and we are already very competitively priced at the lower end of comparable rentals. Most of these blue light shoppers (American slang for bargain shoppers at the mostly defunct discount store chain, Kmart) are new to Airbnb, and all have no reviews.  I don't know what they've read or heard, but somehow they are under the impression that ABB is where you can negotiate rates.

Today, I received this inquiry.

Inquirer (joined 2018, no reviews):  Hi I’m a travel nurse looking for a place while I’m working in the area. I have a couple of questions. Will I have the entire apartment to myself? Are the pictures accurate and recent of the apartment?Thank you!

Also my housing budget is around $2000 for taxes and fees included. Are you willing to give any additional discounts?

Me: Hi XX,

The guest's access to the apartment access is exactly as listed in the description, "It is self-contained, and has its own private entrance and amenities." The pictures are accurate of the current state. The definition of recent is subjective.

No additional discounts are offered beyond what's listed, because I don't support people living beyond their means. Also, as a home owner, it is my reasoning that if a person cannot afford the rent, then it's very likely they can't afford to pay for accidental/incidental damages they might cause.

(Inner voice, who's forbidden to speak with guests):  OMG, OMG!!! Not another "it's my world, and you're all just squirrels" thinking person who believes that things should be reset to accommodate their limitations (reading, comprehension, budget, etc.).  Please take stop relying upon whatever you read online or what your cousin's sister-in-law's brother's wife's uncle said about getting an XX month-long luxury condo rental on ABB for $5 per night, because he told the host that's all he could afford.  You are not entitled to stay somewhere that you can't afford.  Put on your big-girl undies and live within your budget, and stop wasting my time and other host's time.
35 Replies 35
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Debra300 

"...

if a person cannot afford the rent, then it's very likely they can't afford to pay for accidental/incidental damages they might cause.

..."

I had never thought of it that way... This, in fact, is true...

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

“Also my housing budget is…” Whenever I get this kind of inquiry I like to respond with a quick tutorial on how to search with one’s budget limit set. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Pretty soon when a host says they don't discount beyond what is already listed, guests will be telling us that if they pay full price, they will be expecting 1000 thread count bamboo sheets, only the very best gourmet coffee, and the cushiest toilet paper available. And be allowed visitors.

Sean119
Level 10
Blue Hill, ME

I often just say "pricing and calendar are accurate".  Or if I am over it simply "we don't discount in high season"...which for us is the entire calendar:)  We get booked w/o people asking for discounts so we learned we are better off w/o bargain hunters.  

Barbara1198
Level 2
Auburn, NE

I stopped offering discounts for long term stays. These were the guests who caused the most damage.  I, like the host above,  can rent my place at full price anytime.  I too am sick of bargain hunters!
I also know that these traveling nurses are making upwards of $100 an hour. I just rented a home in Florida for our family vacation. It was $9500. I DID NOT ask for a discount. 

-Tina--Christine0
Level 1
St. Augustine, FL

Agree, refer them to the site accuracy and no, no negotiating.  But you had better be greatful airbnb doesn't interview hosts to review them before accepting their listing.  Thank God I've never had to interact with you.  What you are thinking always shows through and "I don't support people living beyond their means" was totally obnoxious. Get your "hospitality" demeanor adjusted inside voice and out or get out of the business.  No one is a "welcome guest" with that attitude, just their money is welcome by you.

@-Tina--Christine0,

You appear to be a new participant.  Welcome to the community.  This is a place where we share hosting (and guest) experiences, and ask for advice from peers. A golden rule is that we are courteous in our posts, because we are here to help and support each other.  Hopefully, this will be something that you practice when you make future posts.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

In my honest opinion, the text in that message is completely unnecessary:

"No additional discounts are offered beyond what's listed, because I don't support people living beyond their means. Also, as a home owner, it is my reasoning that if a person cannot afford the rent, then it's very likely they can't afford to pay for accidental/incidental damages they might cause.!"

It is not necessary to humiliate some inquirer just because the inquirer asked for a discount or  because the person is clueless.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@J-Renato0,

I usually just say "No additional discounts are given.".  I don't believe my response was humiliating, and the guest responded to me after I made this post to thank me for the useful information.  She also asked me some other questions about searching for rentals, and I shared with her many of the points that we discuss here about identifying a good fit (select the appropriate rental type and price range, thoroughly read all of the listing description, house rules and reviews, check to see if the host has other listings and read those reviews, ask about the travel time from the rental to the hospital, etc.). 

Although I don't know the inquirer's outgoing expenses, the salaries and benefits of travel nurses has been highly publicized since the pandemic emerged.  In metro Atlanta, the average annual salary is almost $95K, and that doesn't include the housing allowance: https://nurse.org/articles/how-to-make-the-most-money-as-a-travel-nurse/.  In our later exchange, the inquirer said that she really liked my place, because it looked much nicer than those in her price range.  Instead of raising her price range to pay for the level of comfort she desired, she asked hosts to support her lifestyle by lowering their rates.  So, she wasn't clueless.  

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Debra300 

I see your point @Debra300  and I agree that nobody should take advantage of others.
However you are in a higher position in relation to the ones who ask you to lower the price.
Meaning, you are on the top and they are at the bottom if we consider it as the begining of a negotiation. You are supposed to be the most sensible person in such conversation.
If you take offense you will get angry and feel bad and you will make the potential guest feel bad as well. It is a loser-loser situation!

If we do not live on rants we should not take offense.

My point is. It is not productive to confront or diminish people by telling something like "go back to your place, you can not pay my rental". "I am not going to support you".

I have had good guest who approach me asking for a discount. Maybe they think they are smart and good at negotiation.
Instead of taking offense, sometimes I ignore, and sometimes I take it as a challenge.
Well, lets see who will win !!!
In most of the cases I just answer that my price is fair.
When it is worth having a conversation, I explain the advantages of booking my listing and that I offer a fair price.

Some guests who asked for a discount  eventually booked my listing accepting my prices, and believe you me, they gave me  5 stars review!

In fact I usually do not win a negotiation with a guest! I and the guest both win! Know why? My price is fair! And the guest get a reasonably priced accommodation in a good location.

I wish you well in all your business.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@J-Renato0 

While many people who ask for a discount turn out to be good guests and leave 5* reviews, there is another category who are simply trouble.

Example A: I host long term stays and often guests seem to somehow miss that there is a long term discount already applied. They ask me, "Seeing as I am staying X amount of time, would it be possible to get a discount?". I politely reply that there is already a long term discount and that, even before that, the room is reasonably priced. The guest either books at the advertised rate or moves on. Those that book usually turn out to be good guests.

Example B: The guest messages me saying they love my listing, that it's perfect for them, but out of their budget. Could I give it to them for £X (something way below the going rate)? I believe this is the kind of guest that @Debra300 is talking about. My response is the same as above and usually this guest does not go ahead and book and that's fine as I don't really want someone who doesn't appreciate from the outset the value I am offering. 

The last time I had one of the B type guests go ahead and book anyway, she left me a nice review but 3* overall. When I asked her what was wrong, she responded that she was super happy with the stay but gave me the 3* because "the price was above my original budget" as if it was my fault rather than HER choice to book something she couldn't really afford...

Tom-and-Christen0
Level 4
Pennsylvania, United States

We have been operating short term rental accommodations for going on 12 years now...we did all direct rentals for several years before the rise of rental platforms. Over the years, we've made a few mistakes and learned a lot...about everything relating to this business.

One thing we learned early on was to price our rentals fairly and competitively and keep a vigilant eye on market rates.

In our first years, not knowing what to expect, we would sometimes yield to a discount request...military, budget, kind way of asking, etc. However, after a few experiences with the discounters, we began to see a pattern: they were the most demanding, unreasonable and careless guests we have had.

After several of those experiences, we learned that full price clients are our best clients. Ultimately, we decided that we were not placing enough value on our work, preparation, skills and offering when we discounted. It was as though we were saying to ourselves that our prices, although competitive and reasonable, were not "really" worth it.

Bottom line - when we get a request for a discount, we explain that no additional discounts are available and there are other, less expensive, options in our market if our rate doesn't fit the budget. Said with kindness, naturally.

But we have put a lot of work over these many years into creating and keeping nice spaces. We constantly re-invest in either place...thousands of dollars at a time and lots of effort whenever necessary and sometimes before (we change our wall to wall carpet BEFORE it's worn out, for example).

I love  a great value. A good discount and so I understand people asking, but, we do not yield. Our places are worth the price asked and the value received in exchange.

If you are doing this right, believe in yourself!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Debra300 how hard would it be for abb to put out a blip that says something like "consider the market and the host's perspective before asking for a discount. Your host is likely quite serious about their offerings and their pricing. Asking for a discount may create the assumption that you don't have an appropriate budget for travel."

Furthermore, abb could have a "you can ask the host to change terms or fees" button enabled that hosts could opt in/out on, bc I'm with you, that educating guests on how this all works is labor I'm not being paid for and I'd just as well prefer not to do.

There could even be a portal where guests enter the info on their trip (guests, dates, budget) and INTERESTED hosts could ping in for offers to that person and those of us who are already as booked as we want to be won't be bothered.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Kelly149,

"There could even be a portal where guests enter the info on their trip (guests, dates, budget) and INTERESTED hosts could ping in for offers to that person and those of us who are already as booked as we want to be won't be bothered."

This is how Furnished Finders works.  Which also happens to service a large portion of US traveling medical professionals who are looking for temporary housing.