Entire House Booking misunderstood - does not mean the booking guest can invite additional people

Steve416
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Entire House Booking misunderstood - does not mean the booking guest can invite additional people

I have been a host for about 10 months and offer a luxury waterfront property on an ‘Entire House’ basis. My pricing has a base nightly charge for up to 6 guests with an additional nightly charge for each additional guest. Over my time hosting, unapproved unpaid guests and visitors have been a recurring issue. In response I have made every effort to clarify expectations in my listing, rules and house manual and personally greet guests.

There are of course those deceitful guests who regardless of every effort by the host, sneak others onto the property. There are guests, however, who genuinely appear to be of the misunderstanding that by booking on Airbnb they can invite anyone to the property (as long as they don’t sleep there - but can stay till 4am) because in their view - that’s what AIrbnb is about!

It would be helpful if there was clarification around the ‘Entire House’ concept - namely, this means that booked guests have sole use of the property. It does not mean the booking guest or others may invite people without the hosts consent. 

15 Replies 15
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

As you have noted, @Steve416, guests can misunderstand what is allowed in each listing, but I am not sure your suggestion about the definition of entire apartment is feasible.  Actually, not every host minds if guests have additional people at their listing.  It is really a host not Air BNB decision.  In my city, the city actually sets a limit to the number of guests depending on the number of bedrooms and also defines non-sleeping guests must leave by a specific time of the evening.

As to your issue of unregistered guests, there are several discussion threads in which hosts describe different ways to keep track of the number of guests coming into the house.  Some use a front door camera so the host can see who is coming and going.  You can then message the guest that unregistered guests will result in cancellation of the booking.

Steve416
Level 10

Thank you Linda for your helpful suggestions. In checking in a group of 10 today, I became concerned when people just kept coming in until there were 14. When I tried to clarify with the booking guest, her response was ‘don’t worry only 10 are staying the night, the others are staying at another place’. I explained that my listing doesn’t  allow unapproved visitors - of course she hadn’t read the listing or the rules! But I found it curious that she had interpreted that booking my whole house via Airbnb meant people could come and go as they please. The visitors left at 10pm after being at my property for 9 hours.

I installed security cameras some months ago as I became acutely aware that extra people were being brought into my home. It has been a challenge though trying to get any compensation for unpaid guests, notwithstanding the video evidence. I have also had to personally evict a group of 15 (booked for 10) with the police on standby - so some very unpleasant experiences.

I appreciate  that some hosts welcome visitors but unfortunately in light of the breaches of trust I have experienced in such a short time hosting, this is a sensitive issue for me. I would welcome any initiatives by Airbnb focussing on guests clearly communicating guest and visitor numbers. Perhaps this is something that might be picked up in the guests standards that are currently under discussion.

best regards Steve

@Steve416 yes, you're not alone, there are many discussions about this and I don't expect that ABB will be helping with this anytime soon.

I wrote the following FAQ to go along with my house rules and rental contract, no problems since I've been utilizing it. Some hosts may think it is great for however many people to be in their home, but I've decided that all guests should be paid for, so I make that very clear. It doesn't sit right with me to overcharge the normal 2/4/6 person groups to accommodate the expense that comes with a 15 person group. I think it's better for the 15 person group to pull their own weight. Good luck

GUESTS OF GUEST POLICY CLARIFICATION:

From the rental contract: Reservation specified a particular number of guests. No guests beyond those listed and counted within the Reservation are permitted on the property at any time. This applies to day visitors or overnight visitors. All guests to the property should be within the parameters of the reservation. Parties/Gatherings may be allowed with prior arrangement with Owner. Additional Fees will be incurred. Guest is responsible for the property and the behavior of all other guests for the duration of the rental period. Exceeding agreed upon guest numbers is cause for cancellation and removal.

Guest FAQ

“My friends/cousin/employees are going to come meet me at the barn and hang out for awhile before dinner.”

- Great, the barn is super for this, however, first you need to arrange an adjustment to your reservation with Owner regarding guests (Who: name, age, address. When: planned arrival/departure timing. What: additional vehicles), then you will also need to accept the additional guest fees as an adjustment to your reservation. Fees based on guest parameters, inquire for a quote.

“Oh, but, they aren’t going to spend the night, we’re just going to hang out at the barn for awhile.”

- Understood. However, the additional guest registration is required for any guest who will enter the building/be on property.

“Man, that’s kind of fussy, don’t you think?”
        - Accurate guest registration is required for insurance purposes and it is

important to us to know who we are sharing our home with. Also, the security company is aware of what people/vehicles are expected, for your protection and ours they need to have accurate information. The false alarm fee for a call-out on additional guests is $125.

“I don’t want to pay a guest fee to hang out with my friends.”
          - No problem. Austin is full of great restaurants, bars & parks, we’re happy

to provide recommendations.

“Uber is going to pick me up” “I’m having pizza delivered”

- Pickups/deliveries do not require notice.

“I met somebody cool out tonight, I’d like to bring them back to the barn.”

- No strangers, No hookups, No. This truly is what hotels are for.

Steve416
Level 10

Thank you Kelly - appreciate you sharing your terms - I like the ‘guest of guests’ concept and will definitely include that. Glad to know that I’m not alone in wanting to manage and know who is in my home as the entire property is booked and I am not onsite. This is a bit of a journey for me so I will add clarifying the concept of entire booking to my growing list. Best wishes Steve

ps - a bit off point, but you mention that you require ID. I have this in my listing, but no one has ever offered their ID and I feel awkward asking for this - not sure if ID is more routine,y requested in the US, but nit so much in Australia?

@Steve416 I looked thru your listing and it is very clear. The problem comes in when guests just don't read which is sadly quite common. 

You've got a lovely place, makes complete sense to me that you'd want to be careful with it.

As to the ID, you just have to make up your demeanor that it is a normal question. (Hotels do it and those folks have the benefit of holding guest ccard, which we don't get, so seeing an actual govt ID on guests seems like a good bare minimum to let someone into my home -- bc ABB will NEVER share behind the scenes info on guests!!)

I get the booking guest ID with their rental contract as well as name/age/contact phone# for all additional adult guests. If there is anything that has been sketchy during pre-arrival then at some point during the walk-thru/greeting I'll just say "I'll grab a quick photo of all the guest IDs now and then leave y'all to your weekend." (no hesitation, no apology, no body language that it is anything other than utterly normal to get the info)

Everyone throws their ID on the kitchen counter, I snap a photo and we're all off on our way.

If the primary guest has been forthcoming (and displays a good understanding of all the terms, ie they actually read!) then I probably don't worry with the other IDs. I feel like saying that I CAN verify IDs is a deterrent for shifty guests. I've not needed the info yet, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Good luck!

Steve416
Level 10

All great suggestions - so helpful. cheers Steve

Great idea thank you

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If guests demand an explanation as to why their friends can't just hang out all day, even if they're no spending the night, altho you, as a host are under no obligation to explain, you might point out that even if their friends aren't spending the night, if they are there for hours, they will, of course, be availing themselves of the facilities, using up toilet paper, hot water, soap, etc. which of course you can't be expected to pay for if a person hasn't paid to stay. In cases where there's a pool, those visitors would probably also use towels, and maybe even shower afterwards.

Steve416
Level 10

Totally agree Sarah - thank you Steve

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Have you ever consider just making the home for 6 people period, removing 3 beds, and then allowing up to 10 people MAX (blame the fire department) with a 9pm or so curfew on 'guests of guests'?

The goal is to get away from having to play 'Crowd Control Police', and a house inviting 10 registered guests has 'party' or 'crowd' written all over it. Just a thought.

Steve416
Level 10

Thank you Fred - appreciate your feedback. In hosting 10, my ideal guests are one or two family groups and my listing strictly states the property is not a ‘party’ house, with anti social behaviour resulting in termination of the booking. I have had a number of very successful larger family groups celebrating milestone birthdays etc. However, I agree that hosting larger numbers inherently creates issues of control and in the past I have naively accepted groups of young people with no review history to my detriment. I agree that a curfew is a great idea, however enforcing that for an entire house booking is challenging when a host is not onsite. People coming and going at all hours is one of the reasons that I do not allow unapproved guests and visitors. It seems the entire booking arrangement creates a whole range of challenges not contemplated in the original ABB model.

@Steve416

The comment that guests dont read the rules is indeed very common. It appears to me that we are moving into the era of people watching videos,rather than reading reams of information...as such... I wonder if you made a video with yourself talking through some of the issues and sent that to the guests, they would have a better chance of seeing it and taking notice of what you are trying to put across.

Many guests are of course on holiday during their stay and as we know, their sense of rule obeying tends to go out of the window during this period.

Maybe you could even set up a SKYPE name just for the property and offer to SKYPE with the guest making the booking, to go over the issues than commonly come up....and check that everything is understaood and clear ...

You could of course use that video as evidence should you need to pursue a claim and the guest turns round and says " I didnt know"  ......

Steve416
Level 10

Thank you Mike. It is becoming very obvious to me too that many guests do not read the rules - even though I understand that they agree to them as part of the booking process - not sure if this is by a check box? and I provide a printed copy at the house. I make an effort to check guest numbers prior to check in when confirming sleeping arrangements and I ask for written confirmation that all guests are aware of and have agreed to the rules. I personally greet guests, but Skype could be an option in place of a meet and greet. The issue that spurred me to start this conversation though was an apparent view held by some guests that an entire house booking via ABB means you can have whoever you want to drop by for however long provided that they don’t stay the night - because the whole house is booked. So the challenge for me going forward is to ensure  my requirements regarding guests of guests is clear to every guest on the expectation that no one reads the rules. 

Eva785
Level 2
Dallas, TX

A little late, but I just joined AirBnB; I've been hosting in Texas for almost 2 mos. 

First 2 guests were wonderful.

Then the next 2 groups...ugh.

I am wondering about Entire House concept and policies.  In my ad, I posted that I have a maintence residential pool that is professionally serviced on a weekly basis.

On checkin, I go over everything and house rules and mention the bonus free weekly maid service.

I also have a lawn guy and my co host keeps up with the watering of the many potted plants out back which require watering about every other day. 

The last two guests have gone Crazy about this.  

If guests stay a week, I can't have the grass grow high and the pool get gross.  I was told by AirBnB rep that if they rent the entire house, I can't enter or have anyone enter unless they agree.  Is that true?