Entire home or private room, ANY THOUGHTS?

Answered!
Alexandra224
Level 6
Merida, Mexico

Entire home or private room, ANY THOUGHTS?

I own a property with 3 bedrooms and studio, i don't live in it, but a few months ago i gave 1 room for rent ( like normal lease), and after a while i tried Airbnb. 

I had listed the house as Entire, without noticing it at first, and on my description, i said, a girl lived upstairs, and she didn't use the house at all, because had tight job schedule and went out at 7 am-9-10pm, daily, so somehow you do have your privacy.

And i had lost of bookings, and never had a problem, or surprises with it, but now a guest was surprised that he didn't have the house alone, and i was like.. okay you didn't read my description?, and the pre-booking msg?... anyways, he didn't have problem.

After that, i change it as private room, but also leaving the description about the girl, and that basically you have the whole house, can cook, and everything... , and my inquiry rating has dropped drastically, basically no bookings at all.

So another host friend, gave me the idea of keeping listed as Entire ( because of the algorithm) and turn instant booking OFF, so yes, i've requests, and then i explain the situation, some of them agree and some don't, but i had more interest of people by listing it as Entire and turning IB off, than Instant booking on and listing it as PRIVATE ROOM.

Anythoughts???, or any advices from my fellow friends who are in the same situation as me??

Regards!

Here is my house if you want to check it out for comments 🙂

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17459790?location=merida&s=hc_L3wSS

1 Best Answer
Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

I think that you mislead them... Entire House means Entire house, it doesnt mean entire house minus a bedroom upstairs.

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Heather218
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

In my opinion as a guest (I also host), I would list it as private room and specify on the Title "multi room accommodation" or something like that. If a guest books an "Entire House" listing they have every reason to expect exactly that. 

Not it all guests read the information as this is really just additional info.. Good Luck!! 

Jeffrey94
Level 3
St. Louis, MO

This kind of host behavior really gets my goat.  My roommate and I recently had to drive to another city due to a heat wave and a storm that knocked the power out for days.  We, in a hurry to get away, filtered by "entire home".  I work from home and so I would be occupying all day and night.  We found a nice place with a very nice host.  When we got there, the "entire home" was the top floor of their house (an older couple with an adopted child).  The stairs leading to our area began right in front of the hosts' bedroom.  I like to work out early in the morning, and coming down the creaking stairs at 4am to a partially open bedroom door with snoring inside made me feel like an intruder.  The area for us was not an apartment, but 2 bedrooms and a bathroom.  One of the bedrooms had a mini fridge and a hot plate with some dishes.  In her long description, the host referred to this as a kitchen area, and said the unit had a "shared entrance".  I was assuming at least a kitchenette.  It was impossible to get to my car without running into the hosts and then I felt either obligated to socialize like we were staying with relatives or walk past and feel like I was being rude.  Since I work from home, I was cramped in a small bedroom and there was no where to walk around, no living room to relax on a couch and watch TV.  It felt something like being a teenager, grounded as punishment in my bedroom.  The house was beautiful.  The hosts were overwhelmingly friendly.  This only made me more anxious.  I was getting mad but how could I complain to people in their 60s or 70s who were being so nice to me?  I didn't sleep all night while I mustered the courage to ask for a refund.  I found another place nearby.  What I can't understand is why anyone would want to spring this on a guest that they have to share a space with.  You really want a stranger in your home with full access to your living area who feels like they just got tricked so you could make more money?  While she let me have a refund (she charged me for a day and a half and kept the cleaning fee and made me pay her AirBnB booking fee), the remaining time we had there after I stated our intention to leave was tense.  She suddenly asked us to take off our shoes when we were walking around in her house.  I didn't find a place on AirBnB so I could feel like I was being rude to a sweet old lady.  Don't do this to people.  "Entire Home" sets up an expectation of total privacy, and that is explicit in AirBnB's help section.  Calling a private room an entire home and leaving a "not really" comment in the description just to get more listings is dishonest and an example of the worst kind of capitalist mentality - fine print deception (bait and switch).  Think of the guest who has to awkwardly fight for what you advertised and go through the hassle of finding another place with very short notice.  It was stressful and a bad experience, and I can't even bring myself to leave them a bad review because they laid on the friendliness so much.  Tho deep down, I feel like what they did was terribly hostile.  They tricked us to get our money.  They put their money making desire ahead of honesty and trust.  Don't do it.  I may never use AirBnB again.  There are other services where only entire homes are acceptable.  Entire Home means that I NEVER have to see the host in a unit that is fully self contained (unshared kitchen, living room, bathroom).

Relax.

I had just experienced the exact same thing. We booked an entire house for two weeks with our teenage daughters

list as three bedrooms King, Double and single. I booked a paid

on arrival we found the host, a middle aged man, living in the single room. Our daughters had to share a double bed. His clothing was in the main room wardrobe. When we said we need all the rooms as listed he suggested that he sleep in the sofa. We left immediately, we did not spend even the first night there.

air bnb customers service is diabolical and 4 days later we are still trying to find out if they will refund. The host has been abusive over text and has now said he will not allow us back in the property. 
at the bottom of the entire listing at the end of all the terms and conditions it say he lives in the house. 
Mira absolute unacceptable and Air bnb need to clarify this Entire house issue.
You can’t advertise something and then at the end of terms and conditions say, actually that’s not realty what you get. It’s misleading and unfair consumer practice.   

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Megan701,

I'm so sorry to hear you've had this issue - I've just received an update from the Support team on your case, so I will send you a DM now with further details. 

I'm with @Jeffrey94 on this one. This type of behavior and attitude is unacceptable and totally deceitful. There is a very clear difference between entire home and private room. 

She didn't use the house at all -> so please elaborate, between 10pm and 7am, where is she???? and if she's IN the house, how is that not using the house? 

You've been posting the same story over and over several times (I assume you are trying to find someone who will tell you what you want to hear)

Each time answers are all the same. YOUR LISTING IS NOT AN ENTIRE HOME! 

Unfortunately Air bnb side with the host in this deceitful practice.

they are not much help once you have paid your money over 

Gail166
Level 1
Laconia, NH

While not a host, I travel frequently and find the best Airbnb experiences have been private rooms with my own bathroom. 

If sharing a bathroom, I think the host should explain whether it is shared by him/her and guest alone, with other guests, or a family of five. Reflect the privacy situation in the fee. I will always pay more for my own bathroom.

Andi41
Level 1
Fort Collins, CO

I agree with Jeffrey/Jessica/Henry on this one. If there is any part of the space that's shared that another person has access to during your stay, it isn't an entire home. As a host, I wouldn't list it as this. As a guest, I would be pretty upset if I booked an an entire home only to find out there was someone living in a portion of the home with shared spaces. 

Frank728
Level 1
Winchester, MA

Entire apartment/home is not a attic room with a hot plate and a shared bathroom and yes I have seen that.

Teresita-Java0
Level 3
CDO, Philippines

At least AirBnB has several options in the setup to specify your place clearly. F.ex. like our place "Private room in guesthouse". AGODA f.ex. only have 4 options: Entire apartment, Entire bungalow, Entire house, Villa and if guests dont read the desription they might be misleadt.

***Per Java***

Stewart44
Level 2
Erie, PA

What if the guest shows up and thinks it's an "Entire House" but it clearly states "private room". This just happened this past weekend for the first time. Am I suppose to offer a refund during peak season on the weekend? We are a super host and I fear a poor review due to their lack of understanding. I don't even think they read the listing.

No This is the guests issue. If your listing says private room that’s what they get. However, many hosts list as Entire house to solicit more traffic but then sneakily add to the terms and conditions that they or someone else will be in the house. Air bnb supports these hosts and guests are left without recourse. 
air bnb should clarify Entire house listings more clearly. It seems to be a common issue

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

I think that you mislead them... Entire House means Entire house, it doesnt mean entire house minus a bedroom upstairs.