Entry Door Security

Todd-and-Mark0
Level 2
Falmouth, MA

Entry Door Security

Dear fellow Hosts,

We are considering getting away from providing our guests with a traditional key to the front door of our home (which is a door exclusive for their use during the Airbnb season and then the door is used by us in the winter when we do not accept reservations).  We realize it would be easy for a guest to potentially make a copy of the key at a hardware store.

Has anyone transitioned to one of the many digital door locks available (several are recommended on the Host dashboard) with unique entry codes for each reservation/guest ?  If so, we would appreciate hearing about your recommended product.

Thank you!

- Todd

11 Replies 11
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

Thank you Donna!  - Todd

Stephanie6
Level 10
Boulder, CO

@Todd-and-Mark0, We installed the Schlage keypad locks (BE365 or FE575/FE595) because they are reliable and easy to program.  However, if you want a remote programming feature these will not work for you.  The Schlage keypad locks use batteries that last a very long time (at least 2 years) because the power is not used to mechanically open a deadbolt (after typing the code the person has to rotate the deadbolt knob) and there is no wireless interface to power.  

We want to have very secure locks (we live in San Francisco), so we had the cylinders replaced after learning from a locksmith that most cylinders can be easily drilled to break in.  The cost was not much and all of the locks can then use the same key.

I totally agree with your concerns about giving guests keys, and as a guest, I really prefer to have keyless entry.

Just chiming in here on the Schlage locks - we installed ours two years ago and have been very happy with the performance. While we prefer to meet every guest as they arrive, some arrive in the middle of the night so it is most convenient for everyone to provide them with the door code a few days in advance, then meet them the next day at a reasonable hour. Because the Schlage dead bolt is turned by a human there are pros - the battery lasts longer and the lock is more reliable. The cons - the lock needs to be relocked by the humans. Sometimes humans forget to relock after entering, and there are those who can't quite figure out that the deadbolt needs to be turned after closing the door so the door frame has taken a bit of abuse. As always, the human factor and diversity - there are a million ways to go about a task or even read instructions. =}

So we are on the market for a doorbell that would reliably ring to our phone and show who is at the door, allow two way conversation, and a door lock that relocks automatically. I have not found the solution yet but trust one is coming soon. I'll check out the other leads posted in this thread and check back for more advice. Thank you all for sharing!

Thank you Stephanie!  We are really happy with the Schlage Keypad deadbolt that we installed.  Your suggestion was spot on!  Thank you!  - Todd

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

We're using a Kwikset lock now, which we manually program for each guest. We'll switch to the Yale Linus smart lock when it's available because it's supposed to automatically integrate with Airbnb to provide guests unique codes. It also works with Nest.

We also just recently got a Skybell HD doorbell.

Skybell HD - please let us know how you like your Skybell. There are so many mixed reviews on the Skybell, Ring and August it would be wonderful if you share your experience.

The Skybell HD works for us, but it's not quite where it should be with a smart doorbell. Ideally, we would like the motion sensor to activate the recording, and notify us on the phone, but not ring the bell. The way the software is now (hopefully, they will update it) is that you can either have the motion sensor on or off. If it's on, the bell rings (on the Skybell, in the House, and on the Phones) every time someone comes or goes, which produces too much noise. If you turn off the motion sensor to not get as many false alarms, it also doesn't record activity near the door...we do want it to record motion and people coming and going, we just don't want so much noise associated with it. We have alternative cameras that do record the motion, but it would be nice if this feature were better implemented in the Skybell HD. If they don't update the software, we may switch to a different system. The Ring also had very mixed reviews in terms of the app.

We just added a Kevo dead bolt, it has its pros and cons.

The con was that the day the customer was at the door the Kevo system was down, so the e-key didn't work, luckyly I had a back up plan and I left a regular key.

Which defeats the purpose of having a smart lock, now I know that someone can make a copy of that key and get into the house.

Might try the August lock next, it has a key pad which makes it easier for people with no smartphones, etc.

Work in progress.

Holly197
Level 2
Cumberland, Canada

I use a 4 digit word type key lock system. It works well, and is easily changeable. I have asked a question regarding when this info is provided to guests, as some book months in advance, and, if I change the code for security, there seems to be an issue last minute. 

I have asked if the address, code could be provided a week or so in advance of reservation, so that it does not get buried in anyone’s email (or deleted). 

Not sure when this info is provided, but would be helpful to know. 

You may want to check out Rboy apps, they have an app called Rental Lock Automater (RLA) which I've been using for a while and am thoroughly impressed with it as it automates the entire process. Once a renter makes a reservation on airbnb, RLA picks it up, generates a lock code based on the last 4 digits of the phone numbers and sends a texts to it to the renter (I can set how manys in advanced I want the the message sent out). It automatically enables the code when it's time for them to check in and then disables it once the check out. Infact with the latest update (I have smart enabled my property), it even automatially turns on the A/C before the renter arrives and turns it off after they check out so it saves me a lot of money there.

You can check out more details about RLA on the rboy apps website, www.rboyapps.com

All you need is a SmartThings hub, a Z-Wave lock (like a Schlage, Yale or Kwikset - personally I prefer Schlage and Yale) and RLA.

If you're into home automation, I've written up more details about what you can do improve safety and reduce costs on another topic here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Home-Automation-for-Airbnb-hosts-Home-Assist-custom-solu...