Environmental impact of guests - what do/can hosts do about it?

Maaike4
Level 2
Wageningen, Netherlands

Environmental impact of guests - what do/can hosts do about it?

Hi,

I am researching whether hosts try to influence the environmental impact their guests are causing. Also, I want to see if Airbnb privides any motivation/incentives to do this. To find out more I need answers from you. I would appreciate it very much if you would take about 3 minutes to fill in my survey: https://goo.gl/forms/7FI5ffLkpyc3uaRS2 .

If you don’t feel like filling in my survey, I would still be interested to hear if you take any steps in your homes that are good for the environment.

If you are interested in the results, let me know 🙂

Thank you! 

5 Replies 5
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I reduce the environmental impact of my guests by providing them re-usable items (like glasses, plates), recyling, composting, energy efficient appliances and a smart thermostat. I'm also in the process of removing lawn from my property, reducing water and energy needs. While I support these initiatives and voluntarily implement them in my home, I would be VERY irritated if Airbnb mandated them and would probably de-list and advertise elsewhere.

Airbnb provides no financial support for green choices, nor are they part of our standard listings. I've never had a guest ask about how green my place is, express any interest/thanks for those choices, or an other indication that it's part of their decision making when selecting a place.

Maaike4
Level 2
Wageningen, Netherlands

Hi Allison,

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I realize that Airbnb does not provide any incetives or support for making green choices within your home. I also don't want to suggest that they would make any madatory standards that host would have to fulfill.

I do think that they could make a voluntary system similar to their review system, but with for example green stars, where hosts could talk about the environmentally friendly steps they take. It could be that when people see two listings of the same price, and one does take care of the environent and the other doesnt, they would choose for the one that does. This would create some incentives for hosts that when for example their lightbulbs run out, they would decide to go for energy-saving ones. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Hi Maaike, I just tried to do your survey but it doesn't appear to be available anymore. I came across your post while trying to find conversations about water and energy usage by guests. I have been an active environmentalist and conservationist all my life, and have a very green home, and I get upset when my guests use energy and water wastefully (particularly water as we have constant shortages here). I have detailed on my profile to keep showers short, I have stickers and timers in the bathroom, but it seems to make no difference. 20 minute showers 2-3 times per day seems to be the norm for some cultures. I don't know how to get around this. But I LOVE your idea of having a green rating - this could be an additional star rating for both hosts and guests (along with Cleanliness, Communication, etc.). I think it would encourage people to be more aware as no one wants to lower their star ratings, and by default would educate people on environmental issues such as drought and climate change. 

Rachel477
Level 3
Cottage Grove, OR

Regarding sustainable hosting criteria.  There is a high regard for the concept of conservation and sustainability here in Oregon.  The steps I have taken in this area are:

1.  Energy conservation:  Installed highly efficient heat pump system for heating and cooling. This was in compliance with my local energy provider and qualified for state rebates.  The performance of this system has reduced my energy bill by 50% (no kidding) and has not compromised comfort. I also installed LED light bulbs.

2.  Food Sustainablity:  Buying local (or growing) produce, dairy and breads which are also organic. My guests enjoy home made treats and LOVE them!

3.  Environment Protection:  Using cleaners that are non-toxic and concentrated, no aerosol products. Purchasing soaps that are hypo-allergenic and in bulk, limiting amount of plastic bottles discarded. Recycling and composting whenever possible.  This has enabled me to be able to have only biweekly garbage pick up.  WOW!

I'm always looking for ways to improve!  I hope this helps.

Rachel Kyle, Super (Green) Host

Mt. David Home & Mt. David Guest

Cottage Grove, OR 

@Rachel477 wrote:

Regarding sustainable hosting criteria.  There is a high regard for the concept of conservation and sustainability here in Oregon.  The steps I have taken in this area are:

1.  Energy conservation:  Installed highly efficient heat pump system for heating and cooling. This was in compliance with my local energy provider and qualified for state rebates.  The performance of this system has reduced my energy bill by 50% (no kidding) and has not compromised comfort. I also installed LED light bulbs.

2.  Food Sustainablity:  Buying local (or growing) produce, dairy and breads which are also organic. My guests enjoy home made treats and LOVE them!

3.  Environment Protection:  Using cleaners that are non-toxic and concentrated, no aerosol products. Purchasing soaps that are hypo-allergenic and in bulk, limiting amount of plastic bottles discarded. Recycling and composting whenever possible.  This has enabled me to be able to have only biweekly garbage pick up.  WOW!

I'm always looking for ways to improve!  I hope this helps.

Rachel Kyle, Super (Green) Host

Mt. David Home & Mt. David Guest

Cottage Grove, OR 

I have read on internet that Water pollution is one of the most serious environmental issues. The waste products from the growing industries and sewage water are not treated properly before disposing of the wastewater into the rivers and other water bodies, thus leading to water pollution. Agricultural processes with excess fertilizers and pesticides also pollute the water bodies.

Source: https://tinyurl.com/2wtkyk3y