Error message "This reservation is not yet fully paid"

Teresia1
Level 2
Snohomish, WA

Error message "This reservation is not yet fully paid"

I had an instant book confirmation message, as normal.  I needed to request some $ through the resolution center for lodging taxes, again nothing unusual.  That is until I got an error message part way through the reservation is not "fully" paid.  I asked the guest if they had rec'd any sort of message from Airbnb and they said no, that they had only the confirmation.  She is not new to Airbnb for her travel, so we are perplexed.  I asked her in my last message if she used the new feature where multiple guests can split the bill and maybe her travel buddy hadn't?  I had no indication that this feature was being used and I'd think I would have some sort of notice.  Anyway...anyone else experience this or may know why I rec'd this message?

15 Replies 15
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Not fully paid would brings only split payment (as you said) or long stays, where the first 28 days are paid at once and then each month. How long are they staying, @Teresia1?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Just 3 nights!  Do you know when Airbnb would consider it fully paid?  Is it upon check in?

Odd message, unless it is because of the new group split payment.

I'm a new host (less than a week) and am having the same issue with my third booking. The first two bookings I had no problem with. This is the third one and it just wont work. I have called Airbnb customer service 3 times in the past 2 days about this. First time I was told to allow a day or two, some sort of glitch. After a day, still the same message. I called again. Got someone who knew nothing and was telling me that I changed my payout method which is total false and that my $ calculations were wrong. I kept telling her that had nothing to do with anything since I wasn't even at the stage I could enter any additional charges since I was getting error message before I could request anything!

After going round and round with her (all very kindly), she said she would work on it and hung up on me! I'm sure she was new and just making things up and didn't know what to do! Of course I didn't get a call back. Called again got someone else who explained that the customers credit card must have reached its limit so they couldn't put the whole amount on their card and for me to wait another day or two. Rediculous!

These people on customer service desk are clueless of what is occuring! Airbnb collects all money for a 3 day booking at the time I confirm the booking..so they say in their policy. Guests credit card limit shouldn't have anything to do with it. That's between the guest and their bank.  I'm in Hawaii and must collect all taxes myself and this is the only way to collect. I've even tried clearing out the cache on my laptop thinking that might have something to do with it, but no. My next call will be tomorrow but I will go direct to a supervisor and hope I can get a resolution. I'll post the outcome.

Update: I just had a discussion with another customer service rep. Seems Airbnb has initiated a new program that the other customer service reps didn't know about. Guests now have an option to utilize a new program called "Pay Less Upfront" which allows the guest to book with 50% deposit and the rest of the payment is automatically collected 14 days before check-in. Until final payment has been made, hosts cannot send for additional money. This really stinks since I'm trying to collect taxes on behalf of the State of Hawaii and now must put reminders in place to send and collect. I now have 2 guests that have chosen this method and I'm sure it will become more common when others find out about it.

Mahalo!

Right, I have discovered the same thing with a travel reservation of my own!  Added administrative work for us hosts, but more fair for the guest if strapped for cash.  Airbnb must have a nice "float" account, as they collect up front (at least 50%) and don't pay it out to the hosts until check-in..nice huh?

I'm convinced this is the part of their business model that makes them the most money. Want to make a bundle on the internet? Come up with a scheme that makes people pay up front for something you don't have to pay for until later. Invest the extra cash.

What happens if your cancellation policy is : if less than 30 days notice for cancellation, then no refund?,  so if they don't pay the balance, are you now only going to get the 50% payments and 100% which was agreed upon at the time of the booking?

Can we as hosts, opt out of this ...i.e where the guest MUST pay 100% upfront and not just 50% and then the other 50% 14 days prior to the stay?

Natalie116
Level 1
Hot Springs, NC

I am experiencing the same thing. EXTREMELY annoying! Already Airbnb does not allow to collect pet fees (or, by the looks of other posts, taxes) at the time the reservation is made, and now they make it even harder to do so. Very dissatisfied about this! Airbnb, PLEASE come up with a better solution that serves hosts and guests!

We successfully used the Resolution Center all of 2017 to collect our Pet fees.  Now with this new "benefit" for the guests (but more administrative work for us Hosts) we cannot request our payment until after they are already staying in our house!  This is extremely annoying!

Here is the error message I get:

"You won’t be able to send or request additional money from your guest until the reservation is paid in full. If the guest chose to pay for part of the reservation at a later date, no action is required from you, we’ll automatically charge the guest on the payment due date."

You should be able to collect 14 days or less prior to their check-in (per Airbnb). That's when the final payment is automatically collected by Airbnb and when you can collect the additional charges. I have had success doing that with my first guest that opted for that method.  I "star" my inbox messages for guest in question and mark my calendar. Yes, it's extra steps for us and stinks, but it's the only way as of now. I currently have 3 guests that have opted for this payment method and I'm sure they'll be a lot more since it's a new option for them.

IThank you for this information. I just had this pop up but have never had a request more than 14 days out. I will try again 14 days before they check in!

Mahalo from a previous Hawaiian Airbnb host!

Well I'm past the 14 day check-in date for the guest and I still can't collect the tax for the county because it says her stay is not paid for. Why and I blocking out those days for a guest whose stay is not paid for?

Airbnb doesn’t auto collect taxes on your behalf in California? Thought they did. I’m in Hawaii where they don’t.  If not, and your guest is within 14 Daly’s of check in, you should be able to submit “Request for Money” in the Resolution Center. If you’re having issues, I find when I call Airbnb’s customer service representatives, they are very helpful and have always resolved any issues. Granted sometimes it takes multiple calls, but I’m running a business and it’s to be expected.

p.s.  I never block dates for guests! That’s up to them to book and I have “strict cancellation policy” in place so if the guest for some reason decides they don’t want to pay taxes (and it happens), they can cancel within the 48 hour no penalty time frame. If over that, then I keep half of their deposit since they defaulted and the dates become available again. Hope this helps!