Ethics of Booking Off-Platform for Long Term Guest

Answered!
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Ethics of Booking Off-Platform for Long Term Guest

I have a repeat guest that has booked at least a few days each week since September because he has been coming to town for work. He's going to need to continue to come for work for probably the next few months. He wants to discuss booking by the month so he doesn't have to move his belongings and food back and forth each time.

The winter months are slow anyway so I'm open to it (plus, he won't actually be here all the time). I'm pretty sure this guy isn't going to turn out to be a squatter so please don't warn me about taking on a long term guest, I'm good with that part and have experience with long term guests.

Assuming I have rental contract and all legalities/insurance covered do you think it's ethical to do this booking off-platform? My reasoning is that Airbnb has gotten over a month of fees from this guest's bookings and the guest and I have developed a good rapport.

Again, please don't comment about the dangers/risks of booking outside of Airbnb, I'm covered on that! Just curious if you think it's okay to go ahead and book direct even though we were introduced via Airbnb.

1 Best Answer

@Suzanne302 

I see no ethical problem whatsoever with not using the Airbnb platform for further stays. You already have a relationship with the guest and Airbnb doesn't own that. I would stop using the Airbnb messenger for any future discussions though.

Sounds like a great opportunity for you 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

26 Replies 26

They don’t give a toss about us. Did anyone actually secure one share of stock? The SEC ordered them to offer a percentage of the shares to the hosts. I filled out the paperwork and never even got a notice they received it. They need us and take all the profits. Look at where the stock price is now from when they went public. Why aren’t we organized? 
Jennifer3051

@Jennifer3051  Yes, many hosts secured stock shares. They jumped on it immediately, and followed the procedure to the letter. But there were only so many shares offered, so first come first served.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

My two cents: it’s fine and not against TOS as long as you don’t use the Airbnb platform.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

In my area, the winter is very slow season. I was also not very sure what to do with my listing. All statistics are very clear, that the winter is not the best season to do short term rental. Decided to continue, got some reservations for November and December...bit there is a great possibility for the earnings to be lower then the heating bill. If I had a tenant for 6 months, there will be nothing what to think about.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Suzanne302  I'd go for it. I actually give all my guests, as long as they are guests I would welcome back, my contact info, if they ever want to come back, saying they can contact me directly. So far, I've not had any previous guests return, as it's not the sort of area pople are just passing through, they are usually booking a week-2 weeks vacation. I'd never agree to an off-site booking with someone who just contacted me through Airbb, not just because it's against the tOS, or unethical, but as a safety measure with a stranger. But once I know them, hey, Airbnb doesn't own my relationship with a guest once their original booking has come to an end.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Suzanne302 

Go for it. It sounds like a great deal for you and the guest.

I give good guests my WhatsApp number and am always open to helping folks get a good deal.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

It's your home and airbnb dont own you once your guest has moved out that deal is over free to do what you want

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

It's absolutely fine, just like renting out your room to a friend: you chat, you agree you rent. Absolutely separate from Airbnb  and any other platforms you might find guests on. 

@Suzanne302 

I see no ethical problem whatsoever with not using the Airbnb platform for further stays. You already have a relationship with the guest and Airbnb doesn't own that. I would stop using the Airbnb messenger for any future discussions though.

Sounds like a great opportunity for you 🙂

You can lose your superhost status if allow off site bookings. Remember, as part of the requirement of being a superhost, you need at least 100 nights total booking per assessment.

@David5641 

@David5641 wrote:

you need at least 100 nights total booking per assessment.

Not quite. Here are the requirements:

10 completed stays in the past year
- or -
100 nights over at least 3 completed stays

@David5641 Nope. You're wrong.