Etsy and Airbnb Tag Team Effort

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Etsy and Airbnb Tag Team Effort

Sharing...

https://airbnb.etsy.com/

I have an Etsy shop where I sell fine jewelry (vintage, antique, estate.) Perhaps I should leave a display of expensive Art Deco engagement rings in my cottage for guests to consider? Wonder how that might go...?

But really, this is an effort to get Etsy makers and sellers to host their spaces. I can see it being interesting if you have a studio that you give tours of or unique space-related art tie ins. Otherwise Etsy has a similarly draconian rating system to Airbnb and I can only imagine how stressful it would be to have both scores tied to the same people. 

What do you think of this? Is Airbnb really needing to beat the bushes for hosts? Or are they just pivoting toward stays that offer some kind of built in experience?

4 Replies 4
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

And wait....you have people in your home. You have goods to sell. Why are you going to make them purchase through Etsy and take 10% off your cut with fees? Why not just sell directly? How is this supposed to work?

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Laura2592  "Perhaps I should leave a display of expensive Art Deco engagement rings in my cottage for guests to consider? Wonder how that might go...?"

I hope you are joking.....I guess they would go the same place as the scented candles....

@Michelle53 TOTALLy joking. LOL. I don't do any crossing of income streams for my jewelry with my ABB. Very high risk. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 

If they are losing hosts they shouldn’t have any problems figuring out why.

I would guess that someone upstairs has visions of creating the next Amazon in the lodging market.

So far it’s not looking real good for them, but I think there are some opportunities there.

It would be a good idea to get their basic business working properly and profitably before they complicate things.