Eugene Oregon Antiairbnb proposal brewing

Valerie157
Level 2
Fort Myers Beach, FL

Eugene Oregon Antiairbnb proposal brewing

Hello Fellow Eugene Airbnb Host,

I’m writing to tell you that the Eugene City Council is in the process of trying to railroad through an ordinance that would put the short-term rental (STR) market out of business. Since the majority of that market is through AirBnB, I’m contacting all hosts. The ordinance they want to adopt will severely limit, if not completely prohibit your ability to operate your Air BnB, particularly if you have a non-owner occupied AirBnB. The City Council wants to pass, before the end of the year, the following provisions:

1.    Expensive and complicated licensing and accompanying fee to cover the cost of inspections and enforcement of regulation.

2.    Banning non-owner occupied short-term rentals altogether, meaning, you have to live in your STR if you want to rent any part of it.

3.    Limit of 90 days total occupancy per year for each STR, with a limit of 30 days for each individual reservation.

4.    Guest registry and local contact: Guests must register with the City prior to their stay and host must be a resident of Eugene.

5.    Regular inspections of property could include, compliance with adequate parking per guest ratio, proper garbage disposal, total # of guests permitted per house, etc 

6.    Separation requirements – meaning, only one STR per neighborhood. If your neighbor down the street is AirBnBing a room, and gets a license before you do, you can’t AirBnB a room, an ADU, or even a couch.

The City Council is moving quickly to pass this ordinance. Just because they intend to, doesn’t mean they will. We can stop them!

Time is of the essence. Here is what you need to do:

Contact your City Counselor via email and phone.  You can find out who your Counselor is by Googling "Eugene City Council" and typing in your home address.  Tell them how important AirBnB is to you, and to the City of Eugene. The following are some talking points to use:

• This is not an “Us vs. Them” issue. People who list their homes through Airbnb are local Eugene homeowners.  They are our neighbors and friends. They use Airbnb and Homeaway to advertise their home in order to earn a little extra money.  This enables our friends and neighbors to stay home to take care of their kids, to make ends meet if they lose a job or get laid off, to not grind away in a second or third job, to retire, and even to keep their home. In other words, to maintain and improve their livability in their neighborhood.

• In 2017, Eugene AirBnB and Homeaway collected from guests and paid to Lane County approximately 1 million in occupancy taxes.

• STR’s are better for the environment than hotels and motels.  They do not utilize Single Use Products, guests are encouraged to recycle while staying at the house, many hosts choose to use "green" cleaning products, towels and linens do not get unnecessarily washed. 

• STR’s support Eugene's local economy in multiple ways. Not only do they give homeowners a little extra income, but they also support local businesses, artists, restaurants, retailers, brands, events and entertainment through host recommendations.  Hosts even introduce guests to local products such as Ninkasi, BNF kombucha, Mountain Rose Herbs, Yumm Sauce, Blue Lotus Chai, and Glory Bee, and Off the Waffle, to name a few. 

• The STR market is an integral part of the 21st century global economy. It’s thriving because there is a DEMAND for it.  This global market caters to traveling medical professionals, consultants, computer code writers, researchers, post-docs, and of course the many families visiting their students at the University and Lane Community College. These travelers need a place to live while working/visiting Eugene for a couple of days/weeks/months. They don’t want to live in a hotel for weeks or months at a time, nor should they. 

• The STR market forwards the values of diversity and equity, values Eugene prides itself on. People from all over the country and the world come visit Eugene. Through AirBnB, horizons are expanded. Global connections are made. Ideas are spread. New ways of thinking are introduced and fostered.

• STR's allow travelers to experience Eugene at its best- as a local, tucked in a sweet neighborhood with friendly neighbors on all sides, with recommendations on our best local sights, eats and fun.

• Eugene doesn’t have anywhere near an adequate number of hotels to support the burgeoning citys’ tourism.  If STR's are forced to close down, the city and local businesses would lose an enormous amount of money. Equally important, a new, innovative, healthy and thriving economic engine for our area will be eradicated for no tangible reason other than indolence on the part of the mayor and city council. They need to hire a consultant to perform a comprehensive LOCAL study of the issue.  

• We need a formal, professional LOCAL study done on the STR market before we regulate it. Right now, Eugene is in a very unique position to study this new economic driver on the scene due to it’s thriving development in the Eugene/Springfield area. Because it’s so new, it’s ‘unknown’. People tend to fear the unknown. People also tend to ‘blame’ new innovators for old problems, if the old problem is still rampant. This is happening in regards to the affordable housing crisis. The desire among politicians and bureaucrats is to blame STR’s for putting inordinate pressure on the housing market by taking potential long- term rentals off the market, thereby significantly contributing to the affordable housing crisis. This simply isn’t the case. And if it is, how would we know? No objective comprehensive LOCAL studies have been done to corroborate the claim.

• Homeowners have a right to rent out their home, just like landlords do but short-term instead of long-term. Eugene already has more than adequate codes on the books to deal with issues that arise from rental properties. If a neighbor is experiencing a problem with their neighbor about how the rental property is managed? With short-term rentals, the neighbor can go have a talk with their neighbor to resolve the problem. This isn’t often the case with long-term rentals, where property management companies are the face of absentee landlords. We don’t need to over-codify on a city-wide scale, an issue or conflict that can be resolved face to face between neighbors in a neighborhood. The regulations proposed by city council in fact dissuade a sense of community, neighborliness, and ‘livability’ rather than encourage it. 

There currently is no voice advocating for the enormous benefits of the short-term rental market.  We need to gather a group of passionate AirBnB hosts, homeowners and neighbors together to let the Eugene City Council know why Airbnb is so important to our city, to tourism, and to us.  We have scheduled a meeting for Thursday, November 7th at 7:00pm in order to connect and organize ourselves for the political battle ahead. Please email kate at katedavidson dot org if you can make it. She will email you back with the meeting location, yet to be determined.

It's time to find out who your City Counselor is and contact them right away. If you want extra credit, contact your County Commissioner as well. They have a horse in this race. Transient Room Taxes are collected and disbursed to the cities by the County. Use the above talking points, and any others you can think of that are compelling and true. Please make sure your written and verbal communication with your city counselor is polite, civil, non-reactive, clear. We don’t want to add fuel to the fire. This is likely going to shape up to be an intense political battle. As many as possible will need to show up to the public hearing, and speak passionately about our positive experiences with AirBnB so as to put a stop to the city council’s ill-conceived ‘business license program’ and its’ accompanying ordinances. The train has left the station, unfortunately. However, Hannah and I are confident that with your immediate help, we can switch it’s track. 

Thank you and we hope to see you soon,

Kate & Hannah&Valerie
(Fellow Eugene Super-Hosts)

Kate Davidson
Eugene City Council Candidate Ward 2
21 Replies 21
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Valerie157 

I'm jealous that Eugene has a pro-Airbnb City council candidate. In Seattle, all our city kommizars abuse home owners. I wish you luck.

Interesting fact, only in Communist China must "Guests must register with the City" 

It is a reason I may never return the People's Republic - I don't want to risk it!

@Paul154  It is not only China. Based my reading in this forum, some east European countries and Italy and Spain also require guests to be registered with passport information staying in Airbnb.

@Alice595 

In China, An American must go in person to the local police department and register. 

@Paul154  That is probably for visitors staying over 30 days. If it is shorter than 30 days, you may not need to go to local police department and register. At least that was my experience when I was there last year.

There may be some areas which require special permit and registration as well.

@Alice595 

My experience was similiar. I went to Shanghai for 4 days and did not register with the local police.

When I returned to China I stayed 3 days in Beijing and did not register.  When I flew out, the government held me up for an hour in the airport.  and scolded me to register the next time.

Government interactions like this are very scary to me. And I cannot understand why in America we are embracing more government regulation - espcially in City governments.

Hi,

About your interesting "fact"-"only in Communist China must "Guests must register with the City""

You are wrong.

Regards

Valerie157
Level 2
Fort Myers Beach, FL

There is a working session of the Eugene City council to discuss the proposed short term rental changes on Dec 11, 2019 at noon in the Lane County Public Service Building, 125 East 8th Avenue in downtown. I will be there!

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

FYI Eugenians, it is true that the city council will be reviewing STR requirements soon. However, a lot of the original poster’s information is inaccurate, including needing to register guests with the city, but all numbers 2-6 of the original post are not accurate according to city officials, apparently. I appreciate advocating for the rights of homeowners but let’s keep to facts and make sure we educate the ding dongs in city council about strs and their challenges as well as their benefits. No one is for regulations run amuck, but also Airbnb run amuck is not positive for a community either— let’s keep hopeful that a nice balance can actually be struck between those two. 

I read in my South Eugene Neighborhood newsletter that city staff has in fact recommended that all STR guests must register with the city before their stay.

Paul405
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Hi, Valerie,

We just saw this issue in our latest neighborhood newsletter and are just getting up to speed with the upcoming ordinance proposal.  We agree with most, if not all, of what you're saying here and are drafting a letter to our city councilor.  We also just wrote to Airbnb about this (afterall, they have every host's email address!).

Have you written to local news about this?  How else to spread the word? Was it in your neighborhood newsletter?  

By our understanding, all non-owner-occupied listings (>300) would be banned outright, and with only one homeshare STR allowed per neighborhood (and Eugene having 23 neighborhoods) that would eliminate more than 250 more hosts.

We're homeshare hosts who've really enjoyed hosting about 200 guests over the last 2+ years.  We'd love to keep doing it but have lived here 30 years and won't hold our breath knowing how our city government works.

Kristin and Paul

Hi Kristin and Paul.  We (AIRBNB hosts) have met once and are prepared to meet again Dec 5th (more info below. We hope to have reporters there. The information on the regulations was not in my area newsletter. Your understanding is correct about the proposed regulations. Please join us and get anyone that you can at the next event. There is power in numbers!

I've just reserved the meeting room at the Cafe Yumm on Franklin for Thursday, Dec 5th @ 7pm.  Start spreading the word!!  Also just FYI - we plan to invite some reporters to the meeting as well. 

Thanks all, see you then!

Hannah

Tim2064
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Hello,

My name is Tim and we are superhosts here in Eugene with 9 listings in town. We will plan to come Thursday to Cafe Yum. This is new news to us and highly concerning. How far along is this in the process? We plan to call our city councilor tomorrow to check in with them. 

Thanks for the time,

Tim

Hi Tim. Nice to hear from a fellow supper host. The Eugene city council is going to have a working session Dec 11. I, and a number of other hosts, will be there to here their proposals. The likely next step would be either to table, have another working session or go to a public forum. That outcome will depend on what they discuss in the Dec 11th working session and the amount of support from the city councilors. 

Valerie

Michele1174
Level 1
Eugene, OR

Hi,

I'm a superhost in the River Road area. I am not in the city so I  don't have a council person to call. I plan to come on Thursday but am curious if the regulations would only pertain to properties in the city limits?

Michele