Every dog has his day!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Every dog has his day!

I have been bragging what a wonderful lot of people Airbnb have brought to us. Last guests seemed the same, lovely young couple very friendly and responsible. 

They have just left said how wonderful the stay had been, how they would leave a great review and would love to return again....great!

I just went into the cottage to prepare for the next guests and I am staggered at what I have found.

The Air con remote has been pulled apart and metal fttings that make the battery contacts are missing...nowhere to be found. They were in there because they have been using the air cn during their stay...it was still on when they left.

IMG20170603103709 b.jpg

I went to turn the air con off and, no display....so of course it won't work! A new remote!!

Somehow they managed to move the main bed up onto the foundation skirt and with the weight of the bed and them, went through it!.......

IMG20170603105056.jpg

They broke a specific plastic light shade....it is specific to this light fitting, hand made...no chance of getting another one to match....

IMG20170603105335.jpg

Even tried to roughly stick it back together before simply giving up.

Mud on the carpet rugs, numerous stains on the bed linens, little fridge is now off it's mounting blocks and all out of alignment with the other cupboard doors. I can't believe what I am seeing and of course the question....where to from here?

I can raise a dispute with the resolution centre, but what good will that do! Even if they side with me they will give me three quarters of nine tenths of bug*er all.....so, I am handy and I can tile the foundation apron and get the bed right again! I can get my air conditioning mate to scource me another second hand air con remote. And I will look forward to the challenge of getting another plain plastic shade and duplicating what was there....I have hand made one, why not another! The old Sards wonder soap will take care of the stained linens, but I am so disappointed,

I am disappointed, A, that they would disrespect the property I have worked so hard to provide like that, and B, that they would just waltz out of here and not say a thing about it, as though, oh well, these things happen.

I shouldn't have to even think about a review, it should be cut and dried but, thanks to this co*k-up of a review system I am going to have to think long and hard about what I say about these guests. And the complete total irony of this whole scenario, they came here because she is a student and had a prac placement in a local hospital, they didn't have a lot of money and I gave them a special deal.

What have I always said to others here about doing special deals??....The only one I have shafted here is myself!

Cheers.....Rob

53 Replies 53
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Robin4

I can't really add to what has already been said, but just wanted to let you know I have been thinking of you.

You have a lovely place and a great ethos as a host and a contributor on these forums.

I agree it is the disrepect that hits as hard as the damage. You helped out these guests and in return they damaged your property and didn't have the courtesy to let you know or offer compensation.

I know you will have many more lovely respectful guests who will enjoy your home and great hosting style.

Helen XX

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw @Robin4, I am so sad to see your post here too, I really don't like seeing uphappy situations like this. I do hope you are ok. Knowing you here in the CC, you always put in so much time and effort to welcome your guests. I am really pleased to hear you are getting things back in order though and great work on the floor, you can't even notice it. You have hosted so many guests now, so I really hope this will not tarnish your hosting experience. 

It is incredibly uplifting to read all the supportive comments shared in this discussion. It is really wonderful to see the amazing support we have together as a community. Thanks so much. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie

Hi Lizzie, it is not so much an un-happy experience as a learning curve. I am disappointed that this couple thought that little of the cottage that they didn't bother to make a comment to me! Sure, it's just an old converted garage but I can't tell you the number of hours that I have put into it to get it where it is now. Like the rest of the house, it's a labour of love. My next step is to tear down the end wall, extend it by 1 metre and put in a double shower and a free standing bath. I have blocked my calendar for 6 weeks in the end of July to early September to get this work done. I really want every aspect of a guests stay to be memorable, and when someone abuses the time and the love I have put into this, I do bleed!

I think @Mariann4 had the most salient point, and one I do need to really consider. She said, it's all very well for me because I have building skills and I can make good these sort of things with very little outlay! People in her position would be faced with large sums of money to rectify the damage that was created here, and I have a duty to be more forcefull rather than flippant towards guests who do this sort of thing.....it's not so easy to recover for other people! I will take that on board.

But as I said it's a learning curve and I will remove much of the nice personal things I have in the listing, there is just too much there that can get broken, or stolen. 

I am not of the Jewish faith but, one of my all time favourite books was by a Jewish author, Leon Uris..it was entitled QB V11, (Queens Bench 7), guess what, a few months ago it disappeared.

As nice as people are, there is an element of the devil in each and every one of us....that's not a nice way to think....but I do get over it quickly!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 I do agree with @Mariann4 that for most of us a damage like this have been a major issue with cancelation of future guests (how can we host when we have a hole in our floor), contacting Airbnb about damage payment perharps (that in itself might turn into a major issues as we all know from post in here) and trying to arrange a handyman. This would be basically a major pain in the .... 😞

So yes, these people deserve a review that will surely warn future hosts. If you say "breakage happened" anyone could think it might have been just a glass or two ... not the floor and standing lamp, remote :-(((

Like Leon Uris by the way, sorry about your book 😞

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

@Robin4  sorry robin it has taken so long to come across your thread.  since my beginning here i've been impressed with your personal tendency toward positivity and your endearingly energetic and thoughtful hosting style.  two points.  first i thought if i emulated something of the essence of your style that in the main i could avoid the guest deceptions and dramas that have befallen others.  second, even when the unthinkable becomes reality, nothing beats positivity.

empathetic words and sympathy have been expressed.  touchingly so because you're such a lovely guy.  i'd like to add, probably because i am late to the party what a wonderful model you are to us all just hunkering down and getting on with it simultaneusly remaining upbeat.

Em

🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Em4

Thanks Em, You get on with it because that is what we do!

Someone said to me yesterday..."Are you ok" and I sent back..."every day is a diamond, some are just a bit shinier than others!"

Cheers.....Rob

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Robin4 realize I'm a bit late to the party on this particular situation, but want to say to you and to everyone reading in the future "please report these things to ABB!!". Yes, bc many of us hosts are not as handy as you are Robin and bc ABB should be aware of when guests behave this way. It should not be as if nothing happened.

Also, the review should be serious: "These guests were personable and I believed that they were having a lovely time in our cottage. However, after their departure, without so much as a word of explanation from the guests, many items were found in a state of disrepair that could not be accidental. Unfortunately, I could not in good conscience recommend them to any hosts who value their space." and a Thumbs Down, this is not a guest who should be inflicted on any other hosts. And definitely make thorough use of the "is there anything you'd like to tell aBB about hosting this guest"

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

@Kelly149  i guess this is what is on the minds of hosts.  first a comraderie with all hosts which implies indicating to other hosts the level to which you would recommend a guest.  second the right to seek redress from BNB in the form of compensation.  both appear tricky.  i tend to be most interested in the opinions of experienced hosts on these issues.

Em

🙂

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

@Robin4 bloody hell Rob, WTF I just saw this thread, and I am speechless.

they say revenge is sweet,

cheers