Everything is a Learning Experience

Everything is a Learning Experience

Just venting a bit...

AirBnB changed the 24-hour notice to "by midnight the day before". So, we got a booking at 11:55pm for the next day check-in.

This would not have been a problem except that the guest booked while we were sleeping and the guest did not meet our criteria. We don't take solo males and he didn't read the pop-ups or the house rules stating that we do not take solo males.

We went to go cancel it the next morning once we woke up and realized what had happened and got a message that it was too late to do so because it was within 24 hours of arrival. Laugh my darn arse off. What?!!

We would have had to call, I guess. So, we started conversations with him to see how bad it was going to be and if we should call and escalate. He sounded intelligent and not ignorant so we decided to keep the money and let him stay. So far, so good.

Still miffed about the midnight booking with no chance to cancel so we might have to change to 2 days notice now. In fact, will do that while I'm thinking about it.

13 Replies 13
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

H5 @Todd-and-Reese0. An hour ago I got a request (fortunately) for an arrival tomorrow around 7 am (luggage dropping). A communicative guest speaking my own mother tongue, so I will survive.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

I can sympathise with the timing issue but I'm not sure why you'd have a rule excluding all solo males. Sounds like the type of discrimination that gives Airb&b bad press sometimes. Was it really so surprising that after a phone call he seemed intelligent & not ignorant? What exactly are those fears? I've found most of my guests fine - some I didn't get along with, but it wouldn't be right to exclude some groups because of one person.  Perhaps I should have a rule for no women guests / no Americans, then hope guests read my notes and de-select themselves? No, probably not. Sorry if that sounds like a rant, it's not meant to be, and perhaps you're getting on well with your last-minute male guest and decide to open up to include everyone - hope it works out. Happy hosting. 

It's because we have someone with PTSD living here and because of the behaviors of the males that have stayed with us before.  It's hard to say "hey dude are you going to be a lecherous creep?"  to every male who wants to stay here,  so it's better to just avoid them.  It's unfortunate that we had so very many poorly behaved man stay with us that let us to make this decision     

@Todd-and-Reese0

Personally, I do not "get" the type of people who make (close to midnight the day before or morning of check in type) last-minute reservations. What happened to "planning" for a trip????

Please let us know how it goes~ fingers crossed!!!

He has been great so far.  I wish more solo male tenants were like this.  We think it's because it used to just be a picture of our female half of our host that attracted the really gross males that stayed here.  Maybe we will be able to take solo males again now that we have a picture of us as a couple and both of our names 

This may turn out to be a blessing in disguise!! I think you may find that for the most part, guests (male and female) will exceed your expectations and pleasantly surprise you!  You make an incredible point regarding the picture you have on your listing.  Having the two of you together is an excellent way to keep away the "creepy" ones that may be up to no good:). 

@Todd-and-Reese0

That's why I also changed the name and pic to include Henry 🙂  although I tend to get more female guests than male~ LOL! 

We are sad to report that we caught him sneaking out a woman early this morning! We were woken by loud footsteps - definitely more than one set. He drove her home and came back and rushed to grab his things and go. He knew he was in total violation of several rules. Unreal. Going to stick to no solo males rules after all.

@Todd-and-Reese0

Awww, I was so happy to hear that it was going well.  I'm sorry that this experience didn't have a positive ending.  

Looks like you've had a challending September so far.  

Keep up the good work though, you two are the kind of hosts that this newbie aspires to be like.  Bookmarking your listings for when I eventually come to Denver for a visit.

-Kati

Are you going to mention it in a review?   We haven't had anything like that but I have been thinking how airbnb could be misused. 

@Todd-and-Reese0 man.  bad humans. in another person's guest room. when you know you're all under the same roof?!? ridiculous

any thoughts on how ABB could help hosts deal with the flagrant rule breakers? I'm currently taking a "no one to help you, but you" stance but it is tiring to constantly be looking out for idiots. Especially when their initial conversations make them seem normal.

We currently have no good system for dealing with rule breakers (and any good cop or preschool teacher will tell you that a rule is only as good as its enforceability). There should be a fine or some concrete consequence. As it is now you can only remove them (and not be paid for their remaining time) or correct them (and deal with their pouting about being caught) or ignore them (and leave a bad review which maybe does or doesn't affect them in the future).

And meanwhile decent people have to be precluded from your listing and read thru my extensive rules and all the other things hosts do to protect themselves bc ABB does not help us with bad guests.

I'll be checking back to see what his review says --- I really like how you review your guests!

Better guests next time we'll hope

Reviews! We learned the hard way that ABB will not protect you! The last time we left an honest review for a terrible guest he (no surprise) messaged a threatening letter full of profanity and more. We contacted help and flagged everything and his account is still active! Now we leave the supposed red flag of "This was an instant book for two nights." 

Sue-and-Andrew0
Level 4
Johannesburg, South Africa

Ignoring the solo male discussion...

We have a 2-day advance warning to prevent these things sneaking up on us.