Evicting Airbnb sqatters in Los Angeles

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Evicting Airbnb sqatters in Los Angeles

After hearing that the city is banning evicting tenants if they are "effected by coronavirus" I started wondering if this exemption also applies to Airbnb stays. So I contacted the police department and spoke to an officer who actually spoke to a city attorney. There's no official outline in black and white about how to deal with these situations, but this officer seems to think that generally they will boot out someone who refuses to leave if they are a transient guest (less than 30 days).

He also said that not all officers are well versed on how to handle evictions, so you might need to educate them when they show up. Have all of your ducks in a row. Perhaps print out screenshots of the airbnb itinerary (showing that a transient occupancy tax was collected), and any other evidence. Prove to them that the guest is a transient occupancy guest.

1 Reply 1

We were just talking to an attorney  about something else. She casually mentioned that if you have problems evicting tenants after their lease is over, go to the store, get a no trespassing sign and put it in the lawn. Then charge the people who won't leave with trespassing. I laughed at the brilliance of that solution. I suppose it would work for a STR tenant too.