Exceptions to chosen cancellation policy?

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

Exceptions to chosen cancellation policy?

We usually use the Strict cancellation policy. For certain high-demand (= higher rates) periods, for large music festivals, Formula 1, SXSWm and so on, we'd like to impose stricter policies, primarily for the advance-notice interval. (Say, 14-21 days instead of 7.) Those special dates tend to book months in advance, and cancellations even 2-3 weeks ahead can be problematic.

I've seen, on some other rentals in our area, mention of cancellation periods that don't match any of AirBnB's standard choices. The hosts are NOT using any of the Super-Strict variants either, but mention trigger dates 2 or 3 weeks before the booking? Are they just imaging this or just saying it to make renters think they actually have such policies? Or are there ways to specify temporary exceptions that not only don't correspond with any of the standard choices or affect the more normal and standard rental windows?

3 Replies 3
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Dede0,

Can you possibly give some examples of these hosts who have these?  You could direct message me as you probably do not want to post them here.  I am only aware of these cancellation policies: https://www.airbnb.ca/home/cancellation_policies

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Apologies for the delayed reply... Anyway, the listings I saw that claimed to have exceptions to the standard cancellation policies mentioned it ONLY in their descriptive text. I couldn't tell whether such exceptions were actually in place. One of them (which I can't find now) mentioned a 2-week deadline at certain peak periods. I'm now inclined to believe that this was old text, leftover from a time when there weren't just the set number of policies one can choose today.

At the same time, I do wish AirBnB would have a couple of "exception" policies that one could apply to short high-demand/high-rate periods. For example, here in Austin there are a few special events (SXSW tech/music conference, ACL music fest, Formula-1 races) that tend to get booked months to a year in advance. For those events, a cancellation 5-7 days in advance can be quite problematic. No one attending them books at the last minute.

Kate1770
Level 1
Hermann, MO

I would like to have a strict cancellation policy for the month of October which is our biggest month.  is that possible?