Excessive decline warning

Answered!
Jiang8
Level 2
Quincy, MA

Excessive decline warning

Today I received an email from Airbnb saying I have declined three requests and they may suspend my listing if I continue to do so.

Seriously? I’m declining because those guests tell me they will bring lots of people to my place for gathering/birthday parties (yes I have a big space suitable for hosting 8-10 people). But according to the regulation from my locality, the maximum number of people allowed for in-door private events is 10! And these guests are saying they will bring 20-30! So of course I have to decline because I observe these rules.

And I also made it very clear in my listing description that the maximum number of people allowed is 10, and I even set 6 as the number of guests I can accomodate using the option provided by Airbnb.

I always ask how many people guests will invite to my place as the first question because I don’t want my house be basted by 100 random people (it happened once thanks to one of the drunk guests!).

And I decline the last three because they said they plan to bring 10-20.

So Airbnb punishes me for observing the COVID19 safety rules set by State?

1 Best Answer

@Jiang8 It is possible to have a listing that's available for event rentals, which emphasizes the cool party features, on a site like Peerspace where you can rent the property by the hour and enforce a closing time for 1-night events. 

But like others who have commented, I recommend taking a very different approach with your Airbnb listing. This platform is optimized for overnight accommodation, and you have nothing to gain from allowing more guests than you can comfortably fit in your sleeping spaces. I totally agree that hosts shouldn't feel penalized for declining inappropriate requests, but it's worth taking every measure you can to avoid attracting them in the first place. So why not retool the Airbnb listing as a quiet home for up to 6 for longer stays, while also selectively listing as an event venue within strict parameters on a site that supports this function? 

View Best Answer in original post

23 Replies 23

@Jiang8  If at any point you say you allow parties, you'll have a lot more to worry about than declining too much. Airbnb has taken a hard line against parties and will delist you if it comes to their attention. I think they even have an algorithm now that detects the word "party" in listings and reviews.

They have even delisted hosts who reported guests throwing a party at their listing in contravention of the host's No Parties rule.

I have a hard time seeing how a place with 3 bedrooms, 3 beds and one bathroom could possibly be suitable for 10-20 people under any circumstances. And would probably contravene fire regulations. I hope you have some good private insurance.

Once the gathering restrictions are lifted, your place might be better suited to listing on an event venue site than Airbnb.

@Jiang8 "And I don’t mind keeping declining and explaining why to guests. I just don’t wanna trigger Airbnb’s “excessive decline” suspension because I believe my reason of decline is valid". 

The decline 'warnings' are all triggered by the algorithm, so there is no way around it. There is no team of Airbnb employees who examine every decline you make for the reason behind it. Of course Airbnb's main priority is to get bookings, so of course they're going to put measures in place to discourage declines. It's pointless to come on here and complain about it especially if you aren't willing to make the changes to your listing, even temporarily, to fit the current circumstances. You will continue to receive the warnings, and may eventually be able to tell us all whether it's just empty threats. Or not.

As Sarah said, you have more to worry about with the possibility of Airbnb shutting you down due to your place being attractive to partiers. It doesn't matter a tiny bit if you don't allow a party to happen, you are at some risk of being delisted regardless.

Andy243
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I am a 52 year solo man hosting just got an enquiry from 2 female Spanish students which I declined for obviously reasons. Airbnb surely can count that against me. If they do I will log an escalated support case, until I speak to a manager or Decision Maker.

Andy Williams
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Andy243 

Which obvious reasons? Was it because they're Spanish, or female? 

@Andy243 Good luck with any attempt to reach a decision maker. I am however confused as to why you couldn't host a couple of Spanish students - Anyway its better to not let them book than cancel their booking I suppose.

@Andy243  if you are hosting a room at your own home where you live then you have a choice to host guests of your own gender only.

I am not sure how you can set it in your listing, but you should certainly write it in your listing description and house rules to prevent as many female requests as possible.

@Jiang8 It is possible to have a listing that's available for event rentals, which emphasizes the cool party features, on a site like Peerspace where you can rent the property by the hour and enforce a closing time for 1-night events. 

But like others who have commented, I recommend taking a very different approach with your Airbnb listing. This platform is optimized for overnight accommodation, and you have nothing to gain from allowing more guests than you can comfortably fit in your sleeping spaces. I totally agree that hosts shouldn't feel penalized for declining inappropriate requests, but it's worth taking every measure you can to avoid attracting them in the first place. So why not retool the Airbnb listing as a quiet home for up to 6 for longer stays, while also selectively listing as an event venue within strict parameters on a site that supports this function? 

@Anonymous Andrew0 Wow I didn’t know that playform before. I’ll check it out! Thanks for your advice!

Subject: RE: Damaging Guest of POSING LACK OF RESPECT and INTEGRITY towards .my AIRBNB CABIN. and DEMANDING A FULL REVIEW. Pease see below so that when a similar situation comes up, I will have a better idea of who to contact in order to take the most effective measures and less egregious behavior's. 'his particular Guest was a proven threat to the safety and integrity of my AIRBNB property. First of all, HER MAJOR COMPLAINT was that the HOST (me) had presumably not provided the most basic of amenities: HEAT. THIS IS BLATANTLY UNTRUE. What actually happened was that the PILOT LIGHT IGNITER WAS NOT WORKING because she and her husband BROKE IT (I know this because both my Property Manager and Housecleaner, clean and check the property the day before and the day after a GUEST will occupy or has occupied the cabin. 

What I find unconscionable is that they took NO RESPONSIBILITY for their BEHAVIORS. then, having the audacity to blame IT ALL ON ME. Secondly, I have a huge stone living room fireplace complete with complimentary wood, but she choose not to use for her husband had some sort of a medical condition; I had also provided a stand alone heater in the living room next to FIREPLACE as well as GAS HEATERS in each Upstairs' bedrooms wherein she felt that they generated too much heat!

Other negative consequences were the following: broke both BRAND NEW Emerald Green Velvet Chesterfield Sofa Coaches (2); damaged both front and back door screens, that now need to be fixed and/or otherwise replaced; damage to LOCKBOX; and an arrogant disregard to the incessant coughing, etc., making the highly cleaned and infected air streams, a dose of serious danger. and INFECTIOUSNESSS OF POSSIBLE COVID-LIKE SYMPTOMS that would inadvertently transform my cabin into a hotbed of infection and disease!

This cabin has brought and abundance of memorable experiences such as learning to swim in Lake Gregory at the age of 4 and continues to be the maker of fond memories and imagination. 

The respect and integrity of my families Cabin has been lovingly taken care of since my father originally purchased in 1964.

In retrospect, I understand that we are all trying to be gracious to our fellow humans, and mistakes are to be made. What matters though is how we react and that we put our egos and arrogances aside, and joyously and gratefully dance our way to a better most kinder world.

AIRBNBS' RESPONSE, I do take issue. I do not ever want to HOST individuals when are cluelessly and unconsciousness unaware of their surroundings. When she asked for a FULL REFUND, I agreed and returned every cent that I had received. I am greatly upset that the powers to be did not support me, but also, did not take into account the following: I have had only one or two serious complaints out of 37 GUEST CRITIQUES and INTERPERSONAL COMMENTARY nor was the consideration of my attainment status of a Super Host (within) my first year, 2019) and have been perceived as one of AIRBNBS' most gracious and successful Earners.

Subsequently, I was publicly banished in receiving any referrals, and blatantly hidden from public view. This was hurtful enough without adding insult to injury by not even receiving not one inquiry as to what had happened.

I am finding myself between a rock and a hard spot. I still want to be one of your most gracious Hosts for I enjoy this organization as a whole to be most wonderful in providing me as well as my Guests with graciousness and joy. I reiterate, I believe my family Cabin has been so grossly invaded and jeopardized.

My main concern is how to resolve these sort of issues and to have AIRBNB supply a Resource Person for direct contact and support.

Thank you for your understanding, and hopefully, ways to supply immediate contact with HOSTS who are filled with angst in their lack of direction. Thanks, again.

Dr. Barbara L. Grimes 949.468.8715