Excessive decline warning

Answered!
Jiang8
Level 2
Quincy, MA

Excessive decline warning

Today I received an email from Airbnb saying I have declined three requests and they may suspend my listing if I continue to do so.

Seriously? I’m declining because those guests tell me they will bring lots of people to my place for gathering/birthday parties (yes I have a big space suitable for hosting 8-10 people). But according to the regulation from my locality, the maximum number of people allowed for in-door private events is 10! And these guests are saying they will bring 20-30! So of course I have to decline because I observe these rules.

And I also made it very clear in my listing description that the maximum number of people allowed is 10, and I even set 6 as the number of guests I can accomodate using the option provided by Airbnb.

I always ask how many people guests will invite to my place as the first question because I don’t want my house be basted by 100 random people (it happened once thanks to one of the drunk guests!).

And I decline the last three because they said they plan to bring 10-20.

So Airbnb punishes me for observing the COVID19 safety rules set by State?

1 Best Answer

@Jiang8 It is possible to have a listing that's available for event rentals, which emphasizes the cool party features, on a site like Peerspace where you can rent the property by the hour and enforce a closing time for 1-night events. 

But like others who have commented, I recommend taking a very different approach with your Airbnb listing. This platform is optimized for overnight accommodation, and you have nothing to gain from allowing more guests than you can comfortably fit in your sleeping spaces. I totally agree that hosts shouldn't feel penalized for declining inappropriate requests, but it's worth taking every measure you can to avoid attracting them in the first place. So why not retool the Airbnb listing as a quiet home for up to 6 for longer stays, while also selectively listing as an event venue within strict parameters on a site that supports this function? 

View Best Answer in original post

23 Replies 23
Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Jiang8 I would suggest calling Airbnb and have them cancel the booking without penalty to you because the guests are planning a party. If you cancel it will count against you.

You could turn off instant book but it may impact your Airbnb ranking.

Jorge

I have instant booking off, so guests need to contact me first where I ask the number of people. I didn’t cancel any booking, I “decline” requests before bookings happen. And I still get warning for it.

yes I guess I’ll call Airbnb anyway thanks for your advice!

@Jiang8  I don't know if this will help, but you could also flag the guest message and indicate that they are intending to throw a party. I don't know if that would help for it not to be counted as a decline, or not.

Also, you probably are already aware, but if it's an Inquiry, rather than a request, you don't have to either pre-approve or decline, all you have to do is message back within 24 hours.

And you can employ strategies to get inapproprate requests  to withdraw them. Like saying you're sorry, but you can't accommodate their group, so they should withdraw the request ASAP so they can look for another listing that suits their needs. If they withdraw the request before the 24 hours is up, you won't have to decline.

Also, some hosts have said they just ignore those warnings and nothing happened, it was just scare tactics.

Hi @Jiang8 

Your listing is unique and so cool ✌️
Perfect for a weekend getaway for three couples or six friends.

Being a private room in a house, it's should be able to control by you having a registered guest and authorized the guests to enter the premises.

Have you considered turning On instant booking? 
You may consider turning on instant booking for a while to boost your listing. In inevitable fact, the instant booking terms, you could cancel the booking during the COVID-19, if you are uncomfortable to host, and it wouldn't affect your Superhost status and is penalties free from Airbnb.
The disadvantage is your calendar will remain block by the cancellation.

In addition,, preparation times to beset of 2 days in advance.

It is always room to improve.

19F51134-2234-47D7-B8AA-C8A3B7E65877.jpegInstant booking advantage and disadvantagesInstant booking advantage and disadvantages

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jiang8 I'd say that right now your photos are screaming "pack me full of people!"  It definitely looks like a fun place for friends to get together and hang out. Young large groups as opposed to families or a couple. Your pricing is high (which is good) but likely not attracting guests looking for a luxury stay. It is very attainable for a large group (spilt 15-20 ways.) And you allow one night stays.

It is tricky but I would focus on adjusting your listing to attract the kind of guest you want. You might then not get so many requests that you need to decline. I also think that it is only a matter of time until a "guest count = 5" shows up to really be a party of 25. 

@Emilia42  you are 100% right. If I would plan a big party I would choose this property. As you say it is screaming " Party! " with bar stools, club lights, no neighbors, pool table big screen TV...

@Jiang8  you should change the overall mood of your place if you want to attract another type of guests.

For the start set at least 3 nights min stay and take new, daylight pictures.

Hi  @Jiang8 

消极的想法会让您感到沮丧!以上完全是负面的.......

Q: If I would plan a big party I would choose this property

A: your listing has never been mentioned as for a big party! Your listing clearly described a private room in the house, maximum six guests in reasonable rate.

Q: As you say it is screaming " Party! " with bar stools, club lights, no neighbors, pool table, big screen TV...

A: Did Airbnb listings are forbidden to have NO neighbors? Against the amenities to have bar stools?  Pool table? Big screen TV? ....

Q: You should change the overall mood of your place if you want to attract another type of guests.

A: change the overall mood? Guest is only one type, Getting Booked! 

Q: @Jiang8 For the start set, at least 3 nights' min stays and take new, daylight pictures.

A: you’ve set a goal for the night mood picture.

误导 !

慎言慎行😊

@Dale711 @ Thanks for your kind comments. Yeah although my listing attracts some party people, I do not allow any disturbing events. Actually most guests I had are just having some birthday events with a few close friends only, and play board games etc. as the bar-like decoration is the main selling point, it makes no sense to disguise as a regular “sleeping-focused” 3 bedroom house

Hi @Jiang8 

I like your idea, having a remarkable place in the listing.

I always wanted an ICE BAR in my home. xoxo

Ways to go✌️

All the best! 

@Dale711 

when you are citing someone's comment, it would be OK to tag the person you are citing.

@Jiang8 

I agree with @Emilia42 , Your place has „party“ written all over it. It is not enough that You state in Your listing that there is a maximum cap of 6 people, You must state that You live on site, that there are cameras and that Your brother is the local sheriff. It doesn't matter if that's true or not, guests are lying to us all the time.

Guests keep lying ... lol but true. But I just don’t wanna lie but instead ask beforehand how many people will show up

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jiang8  OMG, I didn't even look at your listing before I answered you, above. 

Your listing may as well have a big sign on it-" Party House!"

It's very cool, but you can make changes to your listing ad that will stop you getting call these party requests you have to keep declining.

Change the title of your listing so it doesn't include Bar. Change your cover photo to one of the bedroom or another normal-looking home space- something that doesn't scream party.

You set up a listing that looks like a nightclub- of course it's going to attract the party crowd.

Jiang8
Level 2
Quincy, MA

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. To make it clear, some kind of “parties” are allowed in my place, and before COVID-19 it was OK to have 10-20 people. Right now for safety concerns and social distance requirement, I decided that 10 is the maximum number of people for safety. And I don’t mind keeping declining and explaining why to guests. I just don’t wanna trigger Airbnb’s “excessive decline” suspension because I believe my reason of decline is valid (again, I’m not saying they can’t have parties, I’m saying they need to follow the special regulation set by States). 

But the suggestion to change the wording to attract different types of guests is something I’ll consider. Thanks!