Existing items in apartment

Chris1165
Level 1
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Existing items in apartment

I have had a guest make an request that I remove all exisiting items from the apartment. They didnt go into much detail over that items they are referring to but they have mentioned it is items in the kitchen. I can only assume he is referring to crockery, cookware, kitchen utensils and a cupboard full of staple foodstuffs such as cereal, pasta, oil, flour, coffee, tea, etc. 

There are some clothes, spare towels, bed sheets in a wardrobe but that only fills 1 wardrobe of 4 in the apartment.

They initially wanted to remove the items (of which they didnt elaborate what they were) and move to one of their friends houses nearby.

After asking them to do an inventory of the items they would like removed that have responded saying they will move them elsewhere in the apartment. 

The guest is here for 2 months and there is plenty of room in the apartment for storage in both kitchen and bedrooms. 

This is pretty strange behavior and I want to know if anyone has had similar requests, what they did about it? Also I would like confirmation that its not a requirement to extract all items from airbnb before guests arrive? How do you deal with guests that dont understand the concept of airbnb being someones home that they are staying in, its not a hotel?

Thanks

5 Replies 5
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

Reply: I'm sorry, but I can not remove or let you remove items from my rental that have been placed there for my guests. If this is going to be an issue, please cancel your reservation, since I can not accomadate your request.

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

The request to move things from the kitchen sounds odd if they are there for their use. Has it been made clear to them that they are welcome to use those items? But for the bedroom, maybe you could look into locking the wardrobe that contains clothes/bedding etc?  

Bron133
Level 2
Dalefield, NZ

So a guest moved in for a stay in a facility that is an historic building so has lots of books, board games etc. it’s an eclectic mix  of things and clean and all tastefully laid out. Within 30 minutes they messaged me saying they had removed several books and  other items and put them out in an adjacent shed.  Has this happened to anyone else? 

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Chris1165 @Bron133 @Gillian19 @Letti0 strange behaviour if you've left plenty of storage and it sounds like you have.

What other odd requests do they have up their sleeve?

I can tell you. 

Didnt like eco store dishwashing liquid 🤭