Expedia VRBO targetting/recruiting Airbnb superhosts

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Expedia VRBO targetting/recruiting Airbnb superhosts

Hi all, have you seen this article about Expedia VRBO targetting/recruiting Airbnb superhosts?  It would be Airbnb's super loss...:-

"Expedia's Vrbo Looks to Poach Discouraged Airbnb Hosts With New Incentives"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/skift.com/2021/03/29/expedias-vrbo-looks-to-poach-discouraged-airbnb-ho...

(If the web address is removed from my post, do a google search).
30 Replies 30

Good to know, thanks for clarifying,  @Robin4

Nice pics... 

I’m on VRBO via Stayz, and get around 25% of my bookings from them. Now that Airbnb has blocked my calendar (8 year super host!) I expect that will increase. VRBO are not engaging in global Covid bullying as Airbnb is, and Airbnb treats hosts terribly. I hope that their reckoning will come ...

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Flavia202,

I've been listed on Vrbo for a few years from when it was HomeAway.  Last week was the first time that I received a booking, but it was cancelled.  Market presence is quite light compared to Airbnb, and as @Elaine701 stated, it may take months or years to get bookings and reviews.  We all want to be like @Robin4 when we grow up!

@Elaine701   @Debra300,

Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

@Debra300 it starts off really slow with them but you get more and more once you host. I now get about 30-40% from them and it is nice to diversify. They also have a very personalized service, help you tweak the listing etc

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

for the sheer fact that Vrbo has an actual chargeable guest deposit that I don't have to argue with CS to access and has better cancellation policies, they have been my platform of choice for a good bit before even the pandemic. And as of right now, I'm on both platforms  but I'm priced lower on Vrbo (but still welllll above what ABB recommends), IB on Vrbo/request only on ABB and I book so many Vrbo nights that I haven't had an ABB guest since over a year ago. ABB may be bigger, but I just have one space and only get to rent it one guest at a time, so for me, having better guests matters more than having more guests.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Kelly149 

That appears to be the exact opposite of what we experience over here. Perhaps it's different in the US. 

Our "problem" is that Airbnb keeps us booked. Continuously. It's hard to leave it. Other platforms, such as VRBO, never get a chance, because Airbnb books it up well in advance. But that has much to do with the fact that we're solidly 5* rated on Airbnb but total zero on VRBO. 

But also, you say you're prices are lower on VRBO. That's also something that would be pretty dangerous over here. In our experience, low prices tend to invite the worst quality of guest. We rather dread the winter season because the market prices we're forced to compete with, become reachable to a rather bad element. And we've had many problems with low paying guests, lying about number of people, trashing the house, etc. 

Also, we used to be on VRBO years ago, but cancelled our listing because of the 2 bookings we received, both were party animals, and caused damage. At that time, it was not possible to vet any guests. Like booking.com, you were obliged to accept every booking from anybody. 

So, now we've gone back on VRBO but without IB, and in 6 months, have never received one enquiry. It's basically a carbon copy of our Airbnb listing. Except of course, for the hundreds of positive reviews, which explains why we're relegated to the bottom of search results. 

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Thanks for that link, @Flavia202, will check out VRBOs presence in Stockholm.

I’ve been quite happy with Airbnb during my 2 years of hosting, and I think they are probably the biggest in Sweden.

But after a recent disappoiting experience (regarding a claim), I’m ready too look into alternatives. High season in Sweden is coming up, and if there is now another platform/partner that is up to par, then I might give them a try, and pause Airbnb.

Thinking of trying them too, @Trude0 . Good that business is looking up for you in Sweden. Hoping things will pick up here soon. 

@Trude0   Have it on both platforms - just IB on one platform only and block one calendar when the other gets a booking.  Keep your options open.  

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

@Flavia202  @Robin4  I have been on both platforms for 4 years.  Sydney Australia.  This discussion is interesting  as I have noticed a lot more contact from VRBO recently, including being included in their Premier Host Program - and I did wonder why.  Usually I was getting only about 10% of my bookings through Stayz/Homeaway but I have noticed quite an increase lately.  Still more Airbnb bookings though, although that could be because we are pushing longer stays until international borders reopen, and Airbnb seems to  have a lot more queries for those. 

@Wendy117,  Vrbo is certainly turning it up on Airbnb!  BTW, have you noticed any major difference so far in the quality of guests than Airbnb? 

@Flavia202 The quality of guests on VRBO has always been superior to the quality of guests on Airbnb. That is not to say that we don't get some wonderful guests on Airbnb,  but we also get a lot of entitled guests, requests for lower rates, to pay outside of Airbnb and young party type queries which so far I have been able to weed out. That is not something I have ever had through VRBO.

Thanks for the insight, @Wendy117 .👍

Will2356
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I currently am a Superhost and have a property in Seattle and can tell you my experience with Airbnb support every time I have needed them has been horrible.  Due to my short term rental license expiring (totally my oversight) my listing was blocked.  Airbnb notified me the day this was happening and Seattle city didn't notify me about the expiration.  I immediately renewed my city license that day.  Airbnb customer support after multiple calls, emails and a whole lot of frustration said it would take 30 days to resolve!  30 days during our high booking season in Seattle is just not acceptable.  We rely on May - August to carry us through lower bookings in the winter so this will have significant impact on our business.  As a result I checked out the fast start option and in 20 minutes set up a new account on VRBO.  The fees are a bit higher but the Customer Service was fantastic!  Results will tell if it's worth it, but as far as support and ease of use VRBO is far superior.