Expedia VRBO targetting/recruiting Airbnb superhosts

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Expedia VRBO targetting/recruiting Airbnb superhosts

Hi all, have you seen this article about Expedia VRBO targetting/recruiting Airbnb superhosts?  It would be Airbnb's super loss...:-

"Expedia's Vrbo Looks to Poach Discouraged Airbnb Hosts With New Incentives"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/skift.com/2021/03/29/expedias-vrbo-looks-to-poach-discouraged-airbnb-ho...

(If the web address is removed from my post, do a google search).
30 Replies 30
Christine1081
Level 4
Humboldt, TN

Not surprised and I can tell you the service the rbo is putting out right now Trump's Airbnb beyond belief. I've been in the system since 2016 and they are definitely putting a full court press on Airbnb as Airbnb flounders to take care of the people who make them money. I don't doubt it in the least as a matter of fact I may call him tomorrow and figure out how I can get in the game 

Christine Warrington

I hear you, @Christine1081. Hosts have to look out for themselves but it doesn't look good for Airbnb.  Here's their opportunity to show hosts that they are indeed valued - but will they rise to the challenge? Hmmm.

As a user of both in high volumes I can attest that the service is night and day better over there. Has been for the past year and just keeps getting stronger. 

It’s becoming like the Discover card customer a was service (which is great compared to other credit cards in case others don’t know what I mean) 

Christine1081
Level 4
Humboldt, TN

I think they probably will but too late in the game. This is a typical fall of the business Giant. They get big fast and they get cocky and then they fail then they have to regroup and restabilize. Let's see if they can pull it off in the meantime I'll be calling VRBO tomorrow. I'm a Airbnb super hose since 2016 haven't missed it once and went into the ambassador program. I've opened over 20 airbnbs in this area. I'm ready to bring them back in the game after they handled a case in the resolution center for me today where I got to actually talk to a human being! It was amazing! Go VRBO!!

Christine Warrington

@William810 you can pay a flat fee or raise your price a bit because guests do not a fee. All in all, my guests pay less on Vrbo while I take home the same amount. Win win for everyone

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If they listed home shares, I'd be in.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Yes, we just created a listing on VRBO. It wasn't too difficult. 

You should temper your enthusiasm, though. As a new listing, we're listed somewhere after page 70... It will take months to get a booking, years to achieve any status. 

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Elaine701,  Did you use the standard pathway for listing or did you list via the VRBO Fast Start program?

check this out

https://www.phocuswire.com/vrbo-targets-superhosts-through-new-onboarding-program

Vrbo is letting the new Fast Track hosts keep whatever their review score is on Airbnb when they move over, plus giving them a boost in search for 3 months. It’s only in US now but rolling out worldwide soon. 

I’ve never used that fast track but I think I will try it with remaining listings that aren’t on VRBO. When I added popular listings to VRBO in the last year that used to be booked solid on Airbnb I would write in the description that it’s been popular on another platform. People do want to know why it has no reviews but that’s been enough to answer that. The ranking issue is solved quickly if you have availability for popular dates (check your ranking when you search for certain days you still have open). Basically if you’re brand new but have days people want open, and amenities selected that people want like parking, and good photos you’ll actually get seen and booked. The worst way to check ranking is to just view all properties without searching like a real guest for an upcoming date range. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Mary419 

No, they aren't offering that here. If they ever do, I'll kill my current (nearly invisible due to zero ratings) VRBO listing and start from scratch using that method. 

It’s a brand new article just published. Should be out to your area in a few months 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Flavia202  @Elaine701  @Sarah977 

My listing is current on VRBO but I have it snoozed at the moment, the quantity of Airbnb reservations was frustrating VRBO  prospective guests. But it's there all ready to go online again. I never had any trouble securing VRBO bookings when my listing was visible and I have over 30 positive VRBO reviews.

I stay here on Airbnb because I do find them reasonably hassle free, but that's only because I expect nothing out of them. I am here to except their guests and get paid. When the company gets in the way of that I will be gone in an instant.

Cheers........Rob  

@Robin4 , nice! Over 30 positive VRBO reviews!  I want to be like you when I grow up..  😄. So far I've only listed on Airbnb and do direct bookings (int'l and local) through referrals from family, friends and colleagues.  I find Airbnb simpler and more straightforward to use but as international travel picks up again I might try VRBO. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Flavia202 

When I say I have been active on VRBO,  Flavia, that is by default!

When my listing was active it was with Homeaway Stayz,  they were taken over by VRBO about 15 months ago in Australia and since that has happened my listing has been snoozed.

Like @Belinda55  I did find around 25% of my monthly business came from Homeaway Stayz and I had absolutely no issues with them. They paid me quicker than Airbnb and they are much more relaxed about the review system. I found them good to deal with.

When expecting guests, I had two hats I would wear at the front gate......

IMG20190322103540.jpg

IMG20190322103508.jpg

With the bulk of my business coming from Airbnb it was simpler to concentrate my efforts with them. But I do have an alternative I can turn to on a moments notice.

Cheers.........Rob