What are your experiences with bad guests?

Answered!
M-and-I0
Level 7
Hong Kong

What are your experiences with bad guests?

In the time that we've been hosting, I've noted bad guests tend to belong to these categories:

1. last minute/low rate bookings
2. Locals
3. Experienced guests (5 or more reviews)

The first two are easy to spot and we can filter depending on the quality of their communication at the time of booking.

The last group is the most frustrating and tricky. They look like decent people, sound like decent people and have more than a few great reviews.

While there are great guests with numerous reviews, I'm talking about the group that seems to think they are entitled to everything and you need to appease them at all costs. They expect you to provide more than what you outlined in your listing or to bend the rules for them. Some will even outright break the house rules (for example come before the check in time without any notice and expect to be able to use the unit) without any concern. Even if you call them out for it, they act like they did nothing wrong and you're the one who's not providing quality service.

Perhaps in their experience with Airbnb, they've found that they generally cannot be penalized unless they damage property. They've come to see hosts as business owners that need to provide customer service plus put on that "customer is always right" attitude.

Through all the experience with hosting, I've now come to be skeptical when I see a guest with more than 4/5 reviews, which is something I used to be excited about because I thought for sure those were the no-fuss guests.

I'm not sure if these people know how to play their cards just right to not get in trouble, and only manage to get positive reviews (when hosts cancel on them, they don't get reviewed) or if at some point a switch turned on and they realized they are pretty much untouchable as long as they stay legal.

When I cancel on these guests, despite the clear disregard for policies, the guests always get their full refund and their accounts are not flagged or removed so they can just continue on with their behaviour. They may have figured, well if I try to get things my way the host will probably accommodate since I'm the paying customer but if the host gets refuses, they can't touch me anyway. Worse comes to worst they could just create a new account.

So I'm wondering if other hosts have had similar experiences with Airbnb-familiar guests and what you think could be done by Airbnb and/or the community to ensure that guests, not only hosts, are held accountable for their behaviours?

1 Best Answer

Well you are right. Oddly enough,  the ones you go out of your way for are the most critical and lower stars on you. The ones you provide normal service for, give you 5 stars. Sometimes I think people are plain old eat up with mean. Nothing you can change about that.

View Best Answer in original post

97 Replies 97

@M-and-I0

While discretion is important, guests have agreed to make their stay public.

They know bad behavior may be exposed.

As long as you are truthful, without malice and wise, you may write whatever you wish.

"Guest stained bed cover and did not compensate"

"Guest checked out 30 mintues late"

"Guest expected early entry"

This is the way Airbnb works. Let it work.

I write honest reviews whenever possible but in cases where a guest has broken my house rules, and then turn around to tell me it's ridiculous that their request can't be accommodated, I outright cancel on them. I'm very clear to note important things such as the check in/out times in my communications and I make sure to get guests' verbal consent that they understand and agree, so there is absolutely no reason for them to believe the rules don't apply to them. If they violate the rules, and acknowledge it when confronted, that is fine but if someone has the attitude that it's in their right to do whatever they please, then why would I want that person in our homes. My question was basically pointing out that Airbnb has cultivated this kind of attitude by not holding guests accountable for their behavior. If hosts violate the policies or treat guests unfairly, Airbnb can cancel the reservation and penalize us with a fine plus removal of superhost status. However, when the same thing occurs with a guest, they get a full refund and Airbnb does not even tell them that their behavior is unacceptable unless they've damaged property or done something illegal. Hosts are at a huge disadvantage in this sense. So of course, people are going to take advantage of that and act however they please.

Frances40
Level 3
Scotland, United Kingdom

In theory that's fine, but sometimes you don't find out for some time because guests have done their best to hide something, as in swapping stained duvet to look like new duvet still in packaging, 

yes, i agree. i will write my review as honestly as i can. i would expect honest reviews from guests too

I totally agree with you Paul,

we should dare saying things how they happened instead of not leaving a comment ( my attitude!) 

What you do, if you ever come across bad guests. Is you can just block them afterwards from ever making another reservation with you again.

I usually inspect my area before I write my review. I do all my comunicating through Airbnb. This way everything they also see. Even my messages are seen. My friend who also is a host told me to do all through them(Airbnb). I did have one guest that booked for 2 but 4 people stayed. I was asleep when they came back after their family reunion. I wrote that in their review.

JoLynne

that happended to us too.

When I was a new host I gave a girl a good review. I went into the room a couple days after she left to clean and she broke a ceramic figurine in half and gingerly placed back togetehr. When I went to move it , it went tumbling down. Then I noticed she had put holes in my wall. Now i check things out before giving reviews. They woman, by the way, was highly educated. I even let her use my washer and dryer.

I'm frustrated I can't amend a review beyond 48 hours. It takes time to discover broken things, or hidden inconsiderations. 

@Irene86 , i found it's wise to always wait with a review until all the clean up work is done. I find to have 14 days to write a review enough time, especially when one has to get the place ready for the next guests.

Too bad your last guest caused you some grief, you have such an exquisite  place, and such great reviews! i know you know that critique of the guest belongs on their page, not yours, and posting what you did on your page was meant for her,  after you discovered the mess but couldn't amend your review any longer.

just always remember, even when you're angry, that any host response is really aimed at the next potential guests, to show your gracious and hospitable demeanor. But a sharp critique of a guest who only said nice things, by introducing things that nobody is interested in,  is only backfiring on you.  If you possibly can, I would advise to retreat the statement you made, hopefully there is still enough time to do so, or ask Airbnb to take it done. In a few weeks down the road, you will be happy you did!

Agree. I'm trying to figure out how to do that. Any pointers?

I got a really bad and infamous review from a girl who offered to do business outside Airbnb I said no and it put me in 4.5 I'm new so I'm not sure how some things work.. so inocente clean face .. oh but not nice any suggestions ?? 

I have had 3 people over time lower a star here or there, that has me dropped in the 4.8 range because I host so frequently.  I think if a guest drops a star, they should be made to write why. Not drop a star and write a rave review anyway. The system doesn't make sense. 

we sucessfully had a bad report by a guest removed - thank you AirBNB, - we stated that the comments by the guest did our business, the bookings calender proved it.  So thankfully airbnb did listen and acted on it.  we lost almost a months bookings on airbnb,  we are also using other sites now to avoid this business damage.  the guest in question had been on airbnb for 2 years, not one comment at all about him.  i wonder why...?? !!   I now have mopre respect for airbnb staff, do try and contact them and be nice when you explain the situation to them.  the lady i spoked to realised the issue and escalated it higher for review.  we only told the truth from a business point of view. we also learnt from the experience with the guest.