Expired inquiry or booking blocks dates

Amit2
Level 3
New York, NY

Expired inquiry or booking blocks dates

I just discovered that when an airbnb inquiry or a booking request expires, Airbnb blocks the dates for us without any option on our side as hosts to unblock them which is absurd - Regardless if you have corresponded with the guset within(!) 24 hours.

When I called airbnb they said that this is due to travelleres who complained hosts do not decline the request. But the websites algorithym should "know" which host corresponds with a guest and who doesnt answer, or if for instance I am asking the guest if he would like me to keep him posted and the guests agrees to that. 

But the main problem is the locked dates I can not unblock. When that happens even the guest that was initally interested can not rebook the dates he wanted after we discussed all the details or I have a chance to answer all of he's questions. 

Once some dates within a certain month or period are blocked without any option to unblock them, airbnb looses it's financial adavantage Vs. just subetting. 

Did anyone else exprienced the same issue of dates blocked without the option to unblock them due to expried booking or inquiries ? 

20 Replies 20

Thank you so much Ama!

All the best for you and best regards,

Ivo, Croatia

hi there, I have the same problem here in Italy, 

I don't know  what to do....

Please Airbnb help

Diana25
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I had this issue in the past. You had to call Airbnb and have them unlock the dates over the phone. but now you can locate the expired dates on your calendar select the dates in question click the edit button and make those dates available and click save and those dates will be unlocked but the guest will have to resubmit the request

Genie3
Level 1
Washington, DC

This policy is there to prevent some hosts who intentionally don't respond to let the reservation expire to passively discriminate against some guests. If you have any guest expressing his/her interest in your place, you should just accept it in 24 hours. If the guest changes his/her mind later he/she will lose the service fee, which is part of the deal.

This policy is ridiculous!! I was in the middle of booking another guest and had to fix my pricing which delayed their confirmation. By the time i got back another guest had tried to book and the dates were blocked on my calendar. now it says this booking is no longer possible. I have no control over this and really need the income as well. The other guest was literally in the process of booking. Talk about a way to screw people over. I really detest the airbnb platform. There is NO Screening whatsoever and hosts are penalized when they've done nothing wrong. Holy crap on a cracker!

Jane3608
Level 1
Southport, United Kingdom

Yes!!! Drives me crazy.  I often can't agree on 24hrs as I need additional guest info as house is tiny,  such as number and size of pets, children aware stairs are steep, are they likely to pee off the neighbours. 

I've also got to block the dates off on other sites which can autobook and I'll get huge penalties if I cancel. 

I work, they work.  So most expire,  And like now,  can't finalise the booking as its blocked and expired!!   And I've blocked off bookings from everywhere else!!