Explaining 5 star ratings to guests

Answered!
TracieandJason0
Level 8
Philadelphia, PA

Explaining 5 star ratings to guests

Hi everyone. I recently had a guest that was unhappy with their stay, never told me about the problems to which I had already designed my space to have solutions for and then gave me a 2 star review. I may now lose my superhost status but oh well. I've since learned superhost status is not that big a deal anyways and I should just be happy to have made some money since her reservation was 7 days long and she left the place with no damages 😊 I am expecting new guests soon and updating my house manual and thought I could share with you all what I added and would also like to ask if anyone has any constructive critcism as its a bit lengthy and wordy. Thanks! 

Credit to @Branka-and-Silvia0, who I used part of their response in the forum about Airbnb Answers: Protecting you from one-off bad reviews

reviews.png

1 Best Answer
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@TracieandJason0, @Branka-and-Silvia0, @Salem2, I have put something very similar in my guest manual recently due to the change in the overall rating system which is now based on the ludicrous 'expectations' question - of course people will only give 3 stars overall if it's 'as expected'! I have pasted below what I have written in my guest manual but I think yours is even better! I agree with @Salem2 though that the top part should show 3 or 4 stars overall to make the point.

airbnb ratings.png

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Margy6

With @Kath9's permission I have worked on this page of hers and here is how it now appears in my house rules......

airbnb ratings 2.png

Guests have since commented that they are surprised and how it makes a mockery of the review process but they certainly would not want to contribute to any form of penalty for my hosting....and all my reviews since have been 5 star!

Cheers.......Rob

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@TracieandJason0, @Branka-and-Silvia0, I have written this on the first page of my guest manual which also has other important house information (e.g. guest access areas, kitchen use, checking out, etc. ). I ask guests when they check in to spend a few moments reading this page - it also shows the Wifi password so hopefully they are prompted to actually read it!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Keep in mind that guests are asked two separate questions: Step 1 is to give an overall star rating ("won't share your responses until after your host writes a review too") and Step 3 is to rate if better than expected ("host will only see answers that multiple guests have picked") According to Aribnb only the overall star rating will affect your Superhost status.

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 3.29.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-28 at 3.29.56 PM.png

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I'm not sure the top part, showing the actual review, is necessary. The bottom half that shows the gap between how Airbnb presents the review to host & guest is more compelling way to get your point across.

I might suggest changing the wording in your last paragraph. "Reasonably unhappy" sounds strange to my ear. Perhaps you could say "We want to earn your 5-star rating. If you are unhappy with any aspect of your stay, please let me know so I have the opportunity to make it better."

Im not sure what the logic here is with these new questions. Is ABB deliberatly trying to sabotage their own platform by having a ton of listings removed by suggesting that guests leave 3 stars if everything is as described? IMHO "overall" rating should be DIRECTLY derived from the other ratings' average

Anne8883
Level 1
Oceanside, CA

Airbnb should Explain what each stars mean in Airbnb systems on each page.

Without explanations it would be so random can hurt the host’s rating and future guests.

Martin-and-Ingrid0
Level 4
Oeiras, Portugal

Before we were hosts, I gave them a 3 or 4 star rating or didn't bother to rate. I didn't know any better. After we became hosts I tried to change that but unfortunately that is not possible. Now I give 5 stars overall if it was as I expected. 

We sometimes get a 4 star rating on accuracy or location. It's because they can't find the house or it was not "right" on the website. (we have a very well written check in instructions with maps and photos). And just now we had a 4 star overall rating by a guest who complained about the cold after they checked out.........

I think I will put something you wrote in our manual as well. It is good to explain how it works with AirBnB, and to many 4 star ratings is not good for hosts.

Ingrid