Extension of an existing long term stay.

Nicholas513
Level 2
West Columbia, TX

Extension of an existing long term stay.

Hi everyone!

I haven't been able to find something relating to my exact issue anywhere so I will start a new post.

What I am currently having is an existing guest is in the middle of a long term stay (28 days). This guest is wanting to extend their stay. When I sent an extension request to him per his request Airbnb apparently wanted full payment for the rest of the stay up front. The problem with that is the extension was for another 56 days and that seems like a lot to ask someone to fork out immediately. I understand long term stays to be billed and paid out monthly. Has anyone experienced this or had an issue with it?

Does it work differently if he submits an extension request to me as the host?

It seems like a glitch with the way the platform is set up but I'm not sure what is going on. I have other ideas of ways to make it happen but I'm curious as to why this is not working. Seems like it should be an easy thing to make happen.

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nicholas513 

The problem here is that it is an 28 nights stay. That one is not split up in installments, which is done when reservation is 30 nights or more. If you extend a long term stay already having installments, it would be  no problem. What you could do is extend with less nights, so the financial burden for the guest is less. Then later extend again for the remaining nights.

Always extend a long term stay by change reservation yourself (so not changed by the guest) , so you can keep an eye on the calculated price (and correct it if neccesary (in the pricefield of the change form).

Best regards,

Emiel

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

For Airbnb a "month" = +28 days

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/A-month-is-not-28-days/idi-p/262793

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Nicholas513
Level 2
West Columbia, TX

@Emiel1  That makes complete sense. It seems weird though since I think they were given the monthly discounted price. Must be more Airbnb quirks. I hadn't even thought of that possibility before. Thank you!

That is exactly how I was planning on circumventing the issue. I was just curious as to why it wasn't doing what I thought it would do. It would be nice though if the system would automatically apply the installment setting to extensions meeting at least a 30 day requirement. 

Thanks again for your input!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nicholas513 You could just allow the existing booking to lapse and then start a new stay direct with the guest outside of Airbnb. 

Do watch out that, depending on the law in your state, you might be creating a tenancy and it might be hard to evict the guest...

Thanks. 

I mentioned I had a number of ideas of how to remedy the situation. I was just curious why it was doing something different than what I expected.

As far as the tenancy thing it won't be an issue, it's an RV so I'll just hook up to it and drag it off if I need to! Haha. Plus I have friends in local law enforcement who can help if need be.