Extenuating Circumstance is costing me money?

Lucy-and-Nathan0
Level 1
British Columbia, Canada

Extenuating Circumstance is costing me money?

Hi - 

So I have a guest who cancelled 3 days before check in because they had a surgery or something.  Totally fine, I have a strict policy but as long as a reasonable explanation is given I don't really have a problem with giving a refund.  She was told by Airbnb to submit a doctors note to get a refund under the Extenuating Circumstance clause.

HOWEVER, I am being informed by Airbnb that the refund on the stay will be $855 when the payout is only $829.35 after Airbnb service fees.

How on earth is it fair/legal for a last minute guest cancellation to COST me $25 in addition to the loss of those days of rental????

What am I missing here?

This is just so so so so so wrong.  I am so mad right now.

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lucy-and-Nathan0 

Airbnb will refund the guest all she has paid, including all fees. This was 855,- + Airbnb Guest Service fee

You would have received 855,-  minus the Host service fee = 829,35.

So now you will not recieve anything and you do not have to pay anything (as there is no payout, there is also not a Host service fee).

best regards,

Emiel

I agree with that logic.

But, if the guest doesn't proof in the next three days then the payout goes ahead as planned, no?

THen later, when they decide it is a refund, they will take $855 out of a future payout.  So I have lost $25.

Or will they not issue the payout of there is an open 'case' with the booking?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lucy-and-Nathan0 

Then the 829,35 is taken back from you and the 25,65,-  comes from Airbnb (because it's in their pocket after payout). But if there is a pending case, it is unlikely they will payout anyway. You can keep in eye on your Transaction History pages (future transactions). But at the end everybody should be on zero (no payment for the guest, nothing earned/payed by you, nothing earned by Airbnb).

Best regards,

Emiel

Ok thanks.  That is what makes sense to me and how it should be.  But that is not what I am being told by Airbnb Support in my emails right now.  At this point I will just have to wait and see what happens with payouts/refund.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Lucy-and-Nathan0,

Emiel is correct. This just happened to me. I was confused as well but if you refund the guest the full amount ($855) it will be a wash and it will not cost you any money. You have not received any money yet and Airbnb has not taken any service fees from you so the $855 will simply be returned to the guest. I am not sure why it comes across the way it does. It should just say something like 'refund guest full amount.' It is confusing, I agree.

Alice702
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I have just had a guest cancel just one day before arrival date due to illness. It is very sad for the guest but it is sad for the host if they have to give 100% refund. I have lost a peak week income with no chance to get another booking.  What can I do? Can I offer a 50% refund?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Alice702 Airbnb will handle the refund if the cancelation was for extenuating circumstances and the guest has evidence, they decide on how much you will get paid, you don't have to do anything. 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Alice702 

You should get your full payout if its not a serious illness.

I've had a payout this week from someone who cancelled due to knee replacement, it was re-scheduled to during the trip, they didn't get any refund.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavo...