Extenuating circumstances policy for June

Cheryl638
Level 1
Chattanooga, TN

Extenuating circumstances policy for June

I feel we are still getting mixed messages and little guidance as far the extenuating circumstance policy for June cancellations.  This is the text of an email I received from Airbnb:

Travel continues to be disrupted by COVID-19, and you have 3 reservations between June 1 and June 15 that could be affected.

Here’s what you need to know:
If guests need to cancel a reservation with a check-in between June 1 and 15, they’ll be prompted to reschedule or cancel under your policy. Those who booked before March 15 may be able to cancel for a full refund under our extenuating circumstances policy due to COVID-19—but they’ll need to substantiate that they’re sick or unable to travel. 

I'm located in Tennessee where we do not have any travel restrictions and all but 1 of my June reservations are in state or from nearby states who also no longer have travel restrictions.  Does this mean guests can no longer use "concerns about covid-19" as a reason for extenuating circumstances?  Has anyone had clarification on this?  Also, some statements say June 1-15 and some say all of June...confusing.

Cheryl
6 Replies 6
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

No, there is no wording about “concerns about covid-19” in the text above.  My understanding of this is that the only COVID-related reasons they would be able to cancel with a full refund during this time period are reasons like they or a family member was sick with COVID, their plane got cancelled by the airlines, etc.  They can’t just say “I’m concerned”.  They also have to provide documentation to Airbnb proving the above.

However, documentation is pretty easy to provide (most people know a doctor or can provide government guidance that discourages travel, etc.).  But at least they have to go through a few hoops to get their full refund, similar to the way Extenuating Circumstances were handled in the  pre-COVID days.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cheryl638 

we have had two June cancellations - Australian one is fair enough as they can't fly here (according to Aussie Govt.) UK one appears to have been allowed even though lockdown will be reviewed many times between now and June 12th.

So, in summary, expect any cancellations requested to be allowed

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Cheryl638 , Covid 19 will likely be considered an extenuation circumstance until there is a vaccine available for outbreaks and or overall herd immunity gets to 75%, I doubt that will be until the third or fourth quarter of this year if this year at all.  It may be more lucrative to change cancellation policies until then to flexible, you wont be so disappointed when your cancelled and  there is a good chance you will get more bookings you wouldn't have with a stricter policy in place.  I've always been flexible and our suites have the most reviews (and I assume bookings also) in our area year in and out.   

Besides, I find I dont get as angry at Airbnb as other hosts that have strict cancellation policies, clearly in my case, its the virus thats killing my business not Brian Chesky and its dumb to be angry at a virus.  When the the Covid effect goes away, my business will be back including many returning customers that arent pissed off cause I charged them for a vacation that never happened.  I think its just good business to keep customers happy with what they get for their money, stay well Cheryl, JR 

I have a guest that booked a stay in January for first week of June. Just now they decide to cancel and because this extraneous refund policy is extended till end of June the guest will receive a full refund and the host a big fat zero. Furthermore to add to injury because the guests decides to cancel 2 weeks before their check in date, a potential guest won’t book since the calendar has been blocked all this time until guest cancels. Host get left with a big ZERO while guests get a full refund. Airbnb doesn’t have a policy of how soon prior to arrival a guest can cancel without a penalty. Even if it’s 1 day prior they will get full refund. 

airbnb continues to hurt their hosts 

Unfortunately @Eugene140 , this is going to be the new norm until the Circumstances are no longer Extenuating and that may actually be never.  Covid has opened our eyes as a world to air-born and surface born disease transmission in a giant way, that genie wont go back in the bottle anytime soon or in my lifetime, being sick or newly disabled is now an EC and probably always will be forever.  Honestly, do you really want sick people to come in your space's because they don't want to lose their payment?   I know I don't.  

I will add that you were likely actually losing bookings by having a strict Cancellation policy even before C19 came to town even if you got a few pay outs for guests that cancelled.  That will probably be even more the case now and going forward, the best made and laid plans of travelers need to have easy outs that don't hurt or they will lay their heads to rest in someplace that will like Bearpath Lodging.  I know its counter intuitive to think giving back money will make you more money but we are living proof as most booked spaces in a region.  Stay well, JR 

Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

A guest informed me that CDC travel guidelines do not qualify as documentation to get a full refund.  Airbnb is keeping the guests booking fees.