Extortion - guest threatening bad review but they broke the house rules

Extortion - guest threatening bad review but they broke the house rules

Hi,

We had a guest this weekend who had asked for a reduced rate due to a short stay and small group. We accommodated by reducing our cleaning fee from $250 to $50. When they checked out, they said everything was wonderful and they loved our home. Our front door security camera shows them bringing in a dog, even though we clearly have a 'no pets policy' and its written on our House Rules.

After he checked out, I contacted him and said we needed to collect the remainder of the standard cleaning fee because they brought a dog against our House Rules. At first, he said, 'why, he's trained and didn't make a mess?' Then he said he didn't see the 'no pets' rule. Then..he said the dog is an 8 lb. service dog for his wife. But, the camera shows the dog being brought in by another man, on a leash, no service vest, and clearly at least 20-25 lbs. And, he finally wrote back, that he would hate to give us a bad review, but since we don't have any night lights, 2 people fell during the middle of the night, and he had to go to the ER for a concussion.

So, he's lying and threatening a bad review, even though he broke our rules! I'm not even asking for extra, just our standard fee. I know Airbnb has a policy against extortion. How should I handle this? Who do I contact? Thanks!
8 Replies 8

If you have proof in photos go to the resolution center.
Hoang2
Level 2
Vũng Tàu, Vietnam

What a horrible case you encountered! 

As seen the way Airbnb works, the system provides us (as a host) 2 options to give feedback/comment on the recent guest. One review for the guest will go public, the other will be sent directly to Airbnb team for feedbacks we want to secretly share with the team. I believe, in your case, you should inform Airbnb those horrible guests and let Airbnb operation team at each region joining hand to deal with it. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

What a boorish guest. I hope all these messages were on Airbnb threads, so no mention of cuncussion was made until much later? You don't say ''everything is wonderful'' if two guests are injured. Do not speak to guest outside Airbnb messaging!

Actually, the new security system we have has an app that feeds a notification to my phone when someone rings my doorbell, and also records a video for 30 seconds. So, yes we have clear and easy footage and photos of the dog. Our system also records when any door was opened on an activity log, and no one left during the middle of the night.

He was texting me, but I remembered Airbnb said to communicate through the site, so I messaged him back on Airbnb. He still continued to send his messages on text, so I saved the screenshots. Hopefully, through the photos and the screenshots, Airbnb will see his deception.

It's just awful how people take advantage of others. I just can't believe this behavior after we were gracious enough to do a discount, and I'm only requesting my standard cleaning fee. Thanks for the support!
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am so sorry to hear about your experiences.

I would report this to BnB straight away and also flag through BnB that you are collecting the deposit to cover the extra cleaning and that the guest has threatened to leave you a bad review if you do so. The screen shots of his message together with photos of the dog and the dirty stage of the property should be enough proof.

BnB shouldn't allow the guest to leave a review.

Surely if the guests had concussion because of a fall they would have let you know at the time - what's wrong with turning on the lights 😞

Patricia86
Level 4
Chico, CA

Humm.  If you negotiated from $250 down to $50, and agreed on that, why would he pay you $200 more?  I don't think you can ask him to pay that extra money, even though he is a liar and broke your rules.    The thing is, the process is set up so we don't have to confront guests.  Airbnb will do that for you.  

So, what you can do is collect damages.  There is insurance for this kind of thing.  Was there damage?  Look over the house carefully and list anything you see that was harmed. Then contact Airbnb.  

BTW, you listing is amazingly beautiful.  I would never, ever agree to anything less than your $250 fee.  In fact, I think it might be low.  

Cathy545
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

I've had my first scamming lying renter troll.  I dont feel Airbnb has my back regardless of super host status or not.  One lie after another to get a refund.  Feel anytime the rent/guest does this they need

Cathy545
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

A good lawsuit on their rear end.  Air will consistently console both parties for the business.  Smart thing is having cameras on the outside of property.  Same guests hollered they fell when they didnt get a refund. CYA...love the camera n ring door bells=)