Extra Beds mean extra people?

Laura142
Level 1
Raleigh, NC

Extra Beds mean extra people?

Have you all ever had a guest request extra air beds? I have had a booking confirmed for over a month and they have just contacted me asking for three extra airbeds (making it six beds in total!) for four adults and two toddlers because everyone wants their own bed. My intuition tells me there are more people coming than she is letting on - separate beds for toddlers!? I just don't get it. What would you do?
11 Replies 11
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Laura142,

I noticed that your listing accomodates 6 guests so they are within the number they booked.  It also says you will provide a queen air mattress upon request for the third room/office.  I would tell the guest that you will provide the air mattress but if they require more air mattresses, they will need to provide their own.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thanks Dave! yes they requested the extra air mattress already but want three in addition to that one (so six beds). inhave never had someone request three extra beds before. I want to be accommodating but this seems like a bit much especially if I have to provide sheets etc for all the extra beds.

Hi again @Laura142,

Is there any chance these guests booked via Instant Book?  I am thinking that these may not be the best guests for your place and could be high maintenance.  Once again, I would stick to your guns.  I would also check up on them and if they have more than 6 guests, I would contact Airbnb and see if they can either cancel their listing or have them re-homed.  I hope I am overreacting and everything works out fine.  Might I suggest you make your house rules a little stronger.  Here are mine if you wish to borrow any of them.

Please read and agree to the house rules before booking the suite:
• No smoking or drugs.
• No pets.
• Quiet time after 11 pm.
• Only registered guests are allowed in the suite.
• If a guest brings more people than were booked, the reservation will be cancelled with no refund.
• All children are considered guests and must be included in the occupancy count.
• Let your host know if anything can be done to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable!
• To prevent damage to bedding and towels, please do not do laundry that belongs to the suite. We will gladly provide replacement bedding and towels upon request.
• If you break or damage something, please let us know and arrange for its replacement or repair.
• Please, no outdoor shoes beyond entry door to suite.
• Leave the suite tidy with the dishes clean and put away. It should be left the way you found it.
• Please close and lock all windows and doors when you leave the suite.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Laura142 I completely agree with @Dave-and-Deb0 they seem like a handful! If you say you have a certain amount of beds than that's it, period. If they were instant book I would consider telling them to find another place. We have zero tolerance for guests who think its ok to bring extra guests. For your protection it's important to have everyone accounted for.

Thanks for sharing your rules @Dave-and-Deb0 I've got most of those covered but your wording is better!

Thankyou, Brittany!! They were not instant book but she didn't tell me any of these things when she requested the booking! I think your right, sometimes people just arnt the right fit for your space and they would ultimately be happier somewhere else.

These are so helpful!! I'm going to update my rules - thankyou so much! And yes after sleeping on it I don't think they are the right fit - I just feel terrible cancelling on them! However I think it's best to do this now rather than them get to the place and it's not what they expected.

Hi @Laura142,

Do not cancel this yourself as there are penalties for cancelling on a guest.  I would contact Airbnb and plead your case to them and hopefully they will agree that this is not going to be a good fit and hopefully they will cancel the reservation for you.  If they will not do that, I would tell the guest that you will not provide 3 extra beds and that if they do not like this, they can choose to cancel.

Here are the penalties for cancelling:

cancellation penalties.png

David

I would just tell them that your listing states that you have only one air bed and if they require more, they should cancel and look for a place that has 6 beds. You can say all that and still sound nice 😉
As in "sorry, I think there's been a misunderstanding. I only have the one blow-up mattress that I'd be happy to put in the office for you 🙂
If you require more than 3 beds, I recommend you cancel your reservation and book with someone that has the required amount of beds. Let me know your thoughts, thanks!"
Lelo0
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi , 

Thank you very much for the suggested house rules.

I am going to use some of them

Regards

Lelo

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

Last year I offered our luxury suite, two bedrooms, (accommodates four people). Two people booked for the month, then they moved in the rest of the family (two young children and their nanny).  Long story short, it was a nightmare and came with damages.  Over 25 years of hosting, I can write a book of the good, bad and ugly guests. Follow your gut feelings....red flags.  If it doesnt feel right, notify airbnb and deal with them.  You dont want to end up like the couple in Calgary last year who rented to four...and then had a weekend party for over 100 people!

Reginald1
Level 1
Hemet, CA

Hello all,

Synopsis: I rent a bdrm with a full plus twin truckle bed.

I had a situation this past weekend where the lady's reservation said ONE person was traveling. She arrived with her 19yo son thus requiring a second bed. I wasn't home at their arrival and they weren't familiar with truckle beds (Chinese) so they proceeded to take the mattress off my lvrm futon, drag it into the bdrm and sleep on it. That got corrected the next day but here's my dilemna. If i have to change sheets on the second bed i want to charge the $10 extra. (I'm listed at 3 people/two beds max.) How would i go about that? The second bed was supposed to be for couples traveling with one child. Thx