Extra Guest Fee: A Community Help Guide

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Extra Guest Fee: A Community Help Guide

-----------------Updated June 2017--------------------

An updated version of this Community Guide is now available, click here to view.

------------------------------------------------------------

I often recommend hosts to include an extra guest fee in their listing.  I have a suite with its own entrance that accommodates 5 guests.  The base rate I set is for two guests and I charge $10 for any extra guests over the two.  There are two reasons I do this.  The first is that my rate is low enough to attract a couple or two single people but if more people wish to stay, I can make more money on my listing.  The second reason is I do not like the message that is sent if I do not have an extra guest fee.  What I mean by this is that if I choose to accommodate 5 guests and not charge an extra guest fee, the listing will show "extra people: no charge" (see image below).  Many guests then seem to think that "extra people: no charge" means they can bring as many people as they wish as they will not be charged.  Also, by having my listing setup this way, if someone books for two and then sneak in 2 more guests, it is easier to have Airbnb backup my claim for an extra guest charge.

extra people no charge.png

The following are directions on how to add an "extra guest fee".

Step 1: Click on "Host" and then "Manage Listing".  You will then want to choose "Manage Listing and Calendar" to edit your listing.

manage listing 2.png

Step 2: On the left hand menu, choose "Pricing" and then scroll down to the "Additional Pricing Options" section.  Check the "Additional Guests" box.  Enter the amount you want to charge per extra guest and then choose from the "For each guest after" dropdown.

additional guests.png

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

30 Replies 30
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Dave-and-Deb0 once again you've provided a very helpful guide for hosts dealing with extra people.  My situation is just the opposite from yours.

I rent an entire home where the maximum number of guests is 4 and the price is the same regardless of whether there is 1, 2, or 3 guests. Additional guests are not allowed at any price.  Leaving the the Extra Guest field at $0 left the impression that extra guests were allowed at no charge.

Another host provided the solution to just eliminating this field:  Put in an outrageous amount for extra guests (I put in $500) and it disappeared! No more mixed messages or misunderstandings about the maximum number of guests allowed. Yay!

We also don't allow (or have room) beyond 2, but I agree that Extra Guests: No Fee box is misleading. I did what you suggested about putting a high amount in the extra guests fee and it won't allow above $300 now. I put $300 there and the field disappeared off my listing. Thanks for the tip!

I also encounted the "extra guest" problem when setting up my hosting.

I allow 8 people max.  No more. 

I was frustrated to see the "No charge for extra guests" pop up on my listing.

So, I went back to the "Price Setting" and "Extra Guests" and in the area that the dollar amount goes in, I typed "Not Allowed".

Believe it or not, when I previewed my listing, the "No charge for extra guests" was gone!

Now I just hope that it stays that way.

Keeping my fingers crossed.....

Pj---Kay0
Level 2
Amarillo, TX

Hi! Thanks for all of your work on the Community Help Guides. These are very helpful indeed.  

We also require a fee for extra guests, but note that Airbnb doesn't automatically charge this even when the thread of conversation clearly outlines that extra guests will be arriving.  Should hosts charge this extra fee through a "Special Offer" or through a "Resolution Center" request?

Thanks for your help,

Kay & PJ

Hi @Pj---Kay0,

Yes, I would go into the reservation and modify the reservation.  There is a Help Guide on this as well.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Change-Price-Number-of-Guests-Check-in-or-Check-out-...

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Wow! Thank you for your quick and very helpful response. This is what we will be doing in the future. 🙂

Kay & PJ

@Dave-and-Deb0 Sorry for stepping on you!  Didn't realize you were active this morning!

Good morning my friend @Clare0.  You were not stepping on me!

David

How to add "extra guest" fee above the 4 allowed

Louann0
Level 2
New York, United States

In my case they "snuck" two additional men in... so now after three nights and they have left, what do I do to charge the extra persons fee which is stated in my listing ? Helped themselves to unopened aerobed boxes, unopened sheet set and scores of towels.

Left boxes full of empy liquor bottles and other party leftovers. minor damags.

@Pj---Kay0  You need to set the Extra Person charge in the Pricing section of your listing.   Airbnb's system will calculate the extra person charge from that area.  Merely saying that you charge for extra people in your listing description doesn't alert the system to charge.  If that option is not there in the Pricing section, contact Airbnb for assistance.  Here's how: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/highligh...

Hello, Clare. We do have the fee set under our pricing settings  and have since we began. Our question related to the fact that even when someone books for extra guests Airbnb hasn't been automatically applying that fee to our booking price. So, clearly, as Deb & Dave, have said, I will need to do a "Change Reservation" request to make sure that fee is applied in the future. I appreciate your quick response as well. 

Kay & PJ

Sue67
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

What is very annoying is when people think that there should be no charge for their child "because they're just a baby" - when actually the child is at least fve or six and sleeping in their own bed. They still use linen and hot water etc, so I feel that our $10 extra person charge is not too much to ask - and I don't like having to justify it!