Extra Guest Fee: A Community Help Guide

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Extra Guest Fee: A Community Help Guide

-----------------Updated June 2017--------------------

An updated version of this Community Guide is now available, click here to view.

------------------------------------------------------------

I often recommend hosts to include an extra guest fee in their listing.  I have a suite with its own entrance that accommodates 5 guests.  The base rate I set is for two guests and I charge $10 for any extra guests over the two.  There are two reasons I do this.  The first is that my rate is low enough to attract a couple or two single people but if more people wish to stay, I can make more money on my listing.  The second reason is I do not like the message that is sent if I do not have an extra guest fee.  What I mean by this is that if I choose to accommodate 5 guests and not charge an extra guest fee, the listing will show "extra people: no charge" (see image below).  Many guests then seem to think that "extra people: no charge" means they can bring as many people as they wish as they will not be charged.  Also, by having my listing setup this way, if someone books for two and then sneak in 2 more guests, it is easier to have Airbnb backup my claim for an extra guest charge.

extra people no charge.png

The following are directions on how to add an "extra guest fee".

Step 1: Click on "Host" and then "Manage Listing".  You will then want to choose "Manage Listing and Calendar" to edit your listing.

manage listing 2.png

Step 2: On the left hand menu, choose "Pricing" and then scroll down to the "Additional Pricing Options" section.  Check the "Additional Guests" box.  Enter the amount you want to charge per extra guest and then choose from the "For each guest after" dropdown.

additional guests.png

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

30 Replies 30
Stephen134
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Sue. We have the same issue. Our guest booked for 1 month. Booking was for a single female. I was at work when she checked in so my husband greeted her. Turns out she had a one day old baby with her!! My husband felt he couldn't turn her away. The thing is I feel totally deceived,  as at no time during our communications did she mention the fact she would have a baby with her. (our listing clearly states 'not suitable for children') She has been here for 2 weeks and we just received an shock alert email from our electricity provider to let us know our power usage is double what it normally is. So we'll be out of pocket for that after also giving her a large discount because she booked long term. Doesn't seem fair to me. 

Ruchi0
Level 2
Mumbai, India

Thanks

I too have the same enquiry-That beyond a certain number of people, charges per guests would increase.

I followed the instructions as the preveious reply directed. However when the guest clicks on pre book tab, i am offered only the base rate and not the pro rata rate with increase in number of guests.

Pls help

Hi! I have a Extra Guest Fee after two Guests for my 1BR apartment. I recieved a Guest that booked for 3 people but then checkt in with 4. (A couple with 2 kids around 12 and 15 years old). How does airbnb protect Hosts in such situations. I feel very unconfortable with this, because we could have arranged something if she had told me before. Thanks in advanced for the advice.

Rich3
Level 4
Philadelphia, PA

The big problem with the extra guest fee is that it is a flat amount per extra guest per night -- and it doesn't take into account the weekly or monthly discounts. For a 3-night stay that's normally $300, I'm fine with charging $390 for three people instead of two. But a one month stay that's normally $1700 becomes an outrageous $2600! And that what shows up in search -- and that causes prospective guests to rule it out. I have noted in my listing that I will heavily discount extra guests for longer stays, but I don't think these people get past the outrageously high initial result. 

Teresa-and-Dario0
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

Hi @Dave-and-Deb0, you really are on to this airbnb thing. Thank you for your helpful tips and info. I have been trying to change my Extra guest setting for a while and it never seems to save the setting. I also want to charge $10 per person per night after 2 guests, I have done this over 10 times, but when I go back in to check that it has activated...I can see that it hasn;t, so i try again and so on....NO Luck. I am losing money from this and really need help.

Am I missing seeing a button that says SAVE?? As I never see one..... 😞

What are you using for a device @Teresa-and-Dario0?

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Hello again, thank you for your reply. I am using a Mac. Airbnb is playing up I think, as when I change the other financial details I can see that it saves it straight away (with a little green word 'SAVED' on the top right), but when I tick the add guest price button and then put the price per night to $10, I can see it is NOT saving it. But, if I set the added guest price, then change the other prices it saves it then... It just doesn't seem to want to save the added guest prices if its the only thing you are doing! bit weird. Hope that made sense 🙂

Tricia28
Level 1
Meningie, Australia

I want to change the extra guest charge fee but cannot find the "host" button mentioned in the instructions. This site seems really helpful but like most of the stuff I read these days, the instructions assume too much and can become impossible to implement. I hope someone can help. I have been trying to publish a listing for days now. One thing I have managed now is to select my cover photo. I don't know how I did it, but it took forever.

Tricia28
Level 1
Meningie, Australia

Your instructions doen't seem to work anymore. Airbnb seemed to have recently changed the menus and following your comments, I am keen to do add an extra guest charge.

Thanks

Tricia.

Hello Tricia,

when you are logged in to Airbnb, look at the top right of the screen and next to your little photo icon, you will see 4 words going along the top...they are from right to left...

1. Help

2. Messages

3. Trip

4. Host

They are all drop down boxes. Hoover your mouse over the one that says Host and then click on the word that says - Calendar!

Once you are on that page, look to the top right again and you will see 2 choices again saying either....

1.  Price Settings

2. Availability Settings

Click on Price Settings. A side pane will open up with some info and settings.

Then you will see an option to click open the section that says; Extra Charges and Currency towards the bottom of the pane. Then you will see a box to tick that says; Additional Guests.....set your price per night, than after how many guests.

If it doesn't save, then follow my steps above. They worked for me, but maybe I got lucky.

Hope this was the information you were after 🙂

Juliet18
Level 1
Kayena, Australia

Can someone please help.  

I am a new host and in the middle of setting up my listing. To add the extra guest fee I have followed your instructions, however, I don't have the options you mention in step two. Has Airbnb withdrawn that component?  

A friend who was a host a year ago has looked at it, and he could not find it either.  He said the format looks different to when he set up his listing.

I also don't have any options to add cleaning fees.

Bryony1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi Juliet, 

Follow the last set of instructions on this thread. Took me a while but I got there eventually! 

Bryony

Jill143
Level 1
Oldcastle, Ireland

Hi Dave and Deb

I would like to charge a weekend fee and I am able to charge more for the first guest but cannot change the price for the subseqent guests. Is it possible to do this? Thanks, Jill

I entered the price for additional guests but it doesnot save it. How can i save that Option? 

Andi17
Level 2
Steamboat Springs, CO

I rent out my condo but live in another state, so I have no idea how many people are really staying there. What would stop someone from saying there will be two guests but they sneak extra people in?  i use I use lock box for check in. Any ideas?