Extra Guest Fees

Extra Guest Fees

We charge extra for +1 guests.  The fee is nominal however we frequently get guests that 'game' the system to save money by claiming only (1) guest.  I believe AirBnB should have a drop down before completing the reservation that says, "Please confirm the number of guests in your party.  Failure to provide the correct number of guests is against AirBnB policy and can result in the cancellation of this reservation, the suspension of your AirBnB account or the expulsion from the AirBnB community."  

35 Replies 35
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I take the cheerful @Ben551 approach:  "Once you enter the total number of guests in your party, you'll be able to complete your booking and we'll be all set!"

However, I'm a remote host, so it's hard to monitor.  Once I was at the house next door to my listing, and a group arrived late and drove into the wrong driveway - mine.  They'd booked for a party of 5, but up the driveway came a huge van plus a car with 3 people in it.  Busted!  Airbnb sorted it out and got them to pay the extra, whereupon the lying guest left a revenge review.  And then - shoutout to Customer Service - although they couldn't remove the review, they buried it!  Put it on the very last page!  Love them!

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Hey that sounds like an awesome result @Ann72 - great stuff!

Myriam-And-Ray0
Level 1
Mount Eliza, Australia

I must say I do like the idea of a drop down menu.  We don't charge extra, but we state it's not suitable for under 12 year olds. 

When we started hosting,   a lady asked if she could bring her 10 year old son, and I agreed to that, telling her there was only 1 double bed available.   She turns up with her partner in tow as well.

She claimed she had mentioned it. Being my 2nd guest ever I let it go of course!

It couldn't have been a comfortable night for them. 

We approach from a "safety" perspective: " We note that you mention 2 of you will be staying but your reservation is only for 1.  We're sending a reservation request change to update this so our insurance is aware and you are both covered during your stay.  Once you've accepted the update, please add this second guest to the reservation (link to help center article).  That way Airbnb will also know who is on the reservation in case an emergency requires they get in touch with either of you."  

We never mention money or the extra costs.  If someone asks why the price increases, we tell them why: "The extra $7/per person per night is to cover the additional expenses we incur for 2 people to stay with us."  Only twice in over 400 stays has someone asked what those costs were exactly.  At the end of those explanations we've added, "We know you have a choice in which Airbnb you choose to rent.  If you'd prefer to find another location without an extra guest fee and stay there, we'd understand.  Let us know if we can help you with cancelling your reservation with us.  You will need to do that before you book elsewhere."  

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

When responding to bookings with a "welcome/confirmation" message, @Alice-And-Jack0, I always verify the number of guests and explain the importance and necessity of the information as related to insurance and safety – much like @Alice-and-Jeff0.

I use the following template:

"Your reservation indicates that there will be [# guests] occupying the rental.  We already have you [profile name] listed as one of the guests.  In preparation for your stay, please provide the first and last names of all overnight guests.  This includes relatives and/or friends (adults and children) who may stay for only a night or two.  We must know specifically who is residing in the premises due to insurance regulations and safety/security practices."

This has been pretty effective in avoiding any issues.  Also, while the first 2 guests are included in the base rate, any additional guests are charged extra fees, so this is clarified long before the arrival.  Any adjustments or additional costs are rectified BEFORE check-in.

What if your guest refuses to answer your change request? I had a similar thing happen. Guest booked for one but then said in the message that his girlfriend and him were hosting 3 family members from Seattle.   I asked if it was for 5 people then as the reservation only indicates on. He admitted it was for 5 ppl but then when I sent the change request (which indicates that it's more expensive) he did not respond.  There reservation is only a couple of days away now and I want to make sure he pays.  How do you do that?

Francesca-and-Dave0
Level 10
Vermont, United States

As ABB moves more and more towards a commercialized, “corporate” model, this type of violation, and others, seems to be increasing as guests are looking merely for a “cheap room” rather than the traditional “homestay” experience that built the ABB brand.

I’m very strict about this due to safety, insurance and host/guest responsibility concerns. I always ask for the names, relationships and ages of ALL guests when the booking is made. If someone were to show up with an extra guest, or one not named in the original booking communication, I would simply explain that my insurance company and the local fire brigade restrict the number of guests I can have and suggest that they need to find alternative accommodations for those NOT included in the booking...or an alternative place for all of them to stay! I also would NOT feel obligated to refund the booking fees of violating guests — although I’m pretty sure ABB and certainly would.

I’ve never had an issue with this, but unless we, as home hosts, stand our ground, we are enabling and training bad guest behavior and supporting ABB in promoting this type of guest behavior.

I fully support an addition of a drop down menu to verify the number of people and and their ages. It needs to easy for guests to do the right thing!

There are far too many who game the system. Little do they realize its to thier benefit to be honest. In the case of a disaster or emergency, its imperative to know who is in your arbnb place.  

What is needed is a drop down for the number of guests as well as a place to put names of ALL guests who will be staying over night.

IMHO each guest need to have an Airbnb ccount and be linked to the reservation. That way hosts can see every guest's review.

That is a great idea. I had a request for 7 adults and it turned out to be 2 adults and 4 teenagers. They trashed the place.

Di54
Level 3
Cape Town, ZA

I totally agree, Francesca and Dave

John28
Level 6
Honolulu, HI

I had this happen this past weekend, and didn't even realize it.  That being said, after I did it has really gotten under my skin b/c The room has a queen bed and a day bed as well as a futon, so it can comfortably sleep four, which is what I indicate.  However, i had it set that any guests over three would be an extra 25 dollars.  Well, the purposefully booked for three guests, and then showed up with four, knowing all along that four would be there, and it was intentional to "game" the system as previous noted.  It didn't occur to me.  Until they left their review, didn't bother getting breakfast or using many of the extra amenities I provide, so it didnt bother me too much.  However, if all four of them would have had breakfast, taken a shower and all used a bar of soap, as they could have then like he said in his review, "it was a great value!"  That was when I noticed that they were supposed to pay the extra 25 dollars for four guests, but didn't make a big deal about it, and actually took off the extra fee b/c I believe that is only the second booking with four guests.  The first, actually paid the 25 dollar fee, were here for five minutes, long enough to steal my WiFI router information and passwords (a completely other ordeal), and then left.  Anyway, the four guests in that room is a maximum and is really meant with the idea of a couple with two small children.  However, since there is no way to inforce it, and Airbnb doesn't seem to care one way or the other.  I just took the extra fee for the fourth guest down.  I still don't understand how if my lowest price set is 52 dollars how smart pricing books guests for an average of 42 bucks a night!  Of course, their algorithim or whatever tells me to charge 12!  Yeah, and why don't I just give my house away and live on the streets, as well!  I mean, come on! 

Brenda220
Level 3
Denver, CO

Good Day,

I would like to agree with the suggestion of a drop down or some other way to list and confirm the number of guests and also a strong statement stating no one other than the listed parties are authorized to stay. I have had guests sneak in an over night stay and TRY to sneak out the next morning before I know. These people are not covered under insurance and also I don't know who is in my home. When this happens I have on two occasions called Airbnb and they called the guest and implemented an additional charge and informed the guest it was not allowed. I also statei n my policies, no extra guest allowed  and again with and information letter in there room, stating not allowed with out informing the Host first. 

I also closely monitor my listings so I can usually catch any extra guests not listed and I also live on property. 

I think my main problem I have encountered is guest DO NOT read each listing and their policies! They think they know all because they stated at an Airbnb one or 50 times. They don't take into consideration each home is unique and is worth your while to read and not to depend on pictures and location only. I live in Denver and I host many very young guests wanting the Denver "experience "and as long as they read the policies all is well but most don't. I think it would be nice if they had a check box just before booking they they must check stating they have read and agree with all Airbnb policies and all Hosts policies. If it is not checked you can't book. 

Clifford10
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

I fully agree with the original poster. Guests should be required to positively select how many people are coming and to acknowledge the type of place they are booking. I have a private room and I have had several cases of people booking then showing up and complaining/commenting that they didn't know I lived in the home. The M.O. typically is that they're local, book last minute for 1, show up immediately and then complain that they didn't know I lived there too. Sometimes I can accept that it is not deliberate because it is easily possible to book (especially on the phone App) without selecting the number of guests or notcing the type of accomodation but other times I feel that it is deliberate and the only reason they get caught out is because I live in the house. I had one woman book and show up with a babe-in-arms (my listing isn't suitable for children under 2) and a man carrying party favors (parties prohibited). In the end I end up having to give them their money back because I don't want dissatisfied people in my home who know where I live.

I just realized that everytime I have said something about me possibly not being at my home for their stay, those are the people that suddenly either want to cancel last minute b/c of an emergency, or the one guest who came, but said they never were here!  All of these have occurred whenever I was either not in town for their stay (that didn't occur- yeah right!), or they suddenly wanted to cancel whenever I mentioned I was probably not going to be at home.  However, the last time I had just had enough with people stealing  my WiFI information, and now I have to deal with constant hacking issues, but as soon as I said, no you will not be able to get your money back, or as soon as I said that I was going to be here,  their plans have always changed.  Bottom line is I need video cameras, and a security system now that so many people have been given access to my home and know my whereabout by hacking into my devices.  This is  a disaster waiting to happen now that I think about it.  One day, I am going to go out of town for the weekend and come back to a cleaned out house!  I am really beginning to wonder if any of this is worth it now.