Extra Guests Staying

Alexandra357
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Extra Guests Staying

I've been traveling with and hosting on Airbnb for almost six years now. The majority of my experiences have been wonderful, however in the past month, I've had my first negative experience while traveling (when our host canceled out of the blue the day before our trip) and now I've just had a pretty rotten experience as a host as well. 

We returned from our Christmas holiday having rented out own home for 5 nights. Our guest sent continuous messages the whole time on how to use the diswasher, oven, etc. which should have been a red flag regarding their experience in caring for an apartment. When we returned, the house was not only trashed (literally trash everywhere, food crunced into the floor, dirty cups stuck to counter, our personal bathroom items used and sprawled out) but things in our home were broken as well. A curtain fixture was ripped from the wall, a plant in our hallway had been knocked over and was broken in pieces (the pot and the plant) with dirt all over the floor, and some of our new plates we just got for Chrisrtmas had chips missing from them. In addition, only two guests had paid to stay, but our camping gear (which was put away and was not for use of our guests) had been rustled through and our sleeping bags were out on the couch (which we now need to take to the cleaner) so while we do not have proof, we are pretty sure more than 2 guests stayed. I sent a message to the guest when we got home asking about why our sleeping bags were out and the broken items, and they never responded. I do ask for a security deposit, but I am not quite sure how much I should request for the broken items, if I should bring up the extra guests again (usualyl we charge €30 per night per extra person), the cleaning costs for our camping gear, or if I should just let it go but stop renting out our place. 

Thoughts are very welcome.

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello @Alexandra357  What a light and lovely studio you have!  I can see that special care has been taken and your positive reviews support that.  While you may have been a traveler on Air BNB for a number of years, it appears that you are fairly new as a host, right?

Your security deposit is available for claims of damage by the guest.  Unless there is extra expense related to the cleaning a dirty space such as professionally cleaning a rug, the claim for cleaning will not be reimbursed.  That also goes for the guest getting away with breaking rules.  Unless the guest admits there were extra people staying in your place, or you have proof such as pictures, Air BNB will not be able to reimburse you for the loss of income.

You will need to look up the proceedure for filing the claim and what direct proof of damage and proof of cost, receipts, you will need to provide.

Of course it is understandable that you would think all guests are as thoughtful as you are or as the guests you have had so far.  Apparently not so.  Like being a defensive driver on the road, you need to be a defensive host.  Lock up all that you do not want the guest to have access to.  Left alone in your home is often  interpreted by guests who do not have a sense of boundary and they will get into your stuff.  Also, you could install a camera at the entrance as long as you post that it is there in your listing description.  This will allow you to have proof of unregistered people entering your apartment.

I hope you will not be discouraged by this negative experience. No business is always smooth sailing so how you ride the waves and learn from the negative experiences will increase your success and satisfaction.  Hope this helps! 

@Linda108 thanks for the tips, Linda! I've been hosting for about 4 years now. I previously lived in another apartment but when I moved I deactivated the listing and now only rent out my new place 🙂

I will heed your advice and submit a claim for the damaged items. To be honest, I would normally let a few broken things go, but I think in this case the guet's dishonesty about the number of guesys has me quite peeved so they will be notified of the costs for the holes in the wall and the broken items.

I've also been reading through other community posts - looks like a lot of other members have been much more selective in who they allow in their homes. I am 50/50 right now as to whether we will keep renting, but if we do I will be much more selective moving forward.

Thanks again for the tips, much appreciated!