Extra Guests now staying!!

Extra Guests now staying!!

Lately I've had alot of bookings where extra guests end up staying compared to how many were actually booked for OR they want more rooms than paid for. What is your advice on this?

My policy/payment system is below. It's clearly stated in my Guest Access and in my House Rules.

2 guests = 1 room

3 guests = 2 rooms

5 guests = 3 rooms

If guests are needing an extra room for example 2 mates are away for work but they want 2 rooms, they are charged per night for the extra room. 

I have guests not wanting to pay for this extra room even though it clearly states this. When a guests books I kindly let them know/remind them that if they'd like an extra room or extra guests end up coming that there'll be extra charges and I'll need to unlock the rooms. With this some guests obviously release the other rooms are indeed locked (because they haven't paid for them) and then either want to cancel because they're not happy to pay the extra amount. 

I sometimes offer a discount if they're staying a few nights or have a few people staying. I don't like doing this as I'm losing money but I'm worried that they'll do a bad review so feel I have to give a discount even though I know they're trying to rip me off. I don't have this issue with any other booking sites only Airbnb. I've had guests say to me that they'll give me a bad review if I don't let them cancel or give them a discount. 

Being a Superhost this is a massive concern of mine. What is your advice and have you had a similar issue. Thanks

17 Replies 17
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

you've made it complicated

Ronn1
Level 2
Springville, CA

Yes but what if your guests invite people that are not listed and they stay over night.  (as another faimily of 4) Then what?   I have had several nice families do this and when I contact them and ask for extra money as is listed in my extra charges they simply refuse.  When involving Airbnb have always side with the guests.  

I've had the same thing happen to me. I contacted Airbnb and because I didn't have actual evidence, a photo of these extra guests staying, they wouldn't charge them, so they got to stay for free. I lost $200 on one booking.

@Echuca-Moama-Holiday-Acc0

Upon reservation, reiterate and make sure they understand about additional charges and that rooms not paid for are fully locked and NOT set up for guests. (You could add this under the picture descriptions for the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms - No access to this room if reservation is for 2/4 guests or less.) Double check on no. of people and rooms they want once more a day or two before check in. After check-in, if they want additional rooms then don't give them access until the guests accept the additional charge. Just be nice but firm and clear that they get rooms and towels according to what they pay 🙂

And if it were me, I'd charge for all people who enter the listing at any given time, regardless of where they sleep (people who come over use the bathroom, water, TP, towels and cause wear and tear) If you have a security camera of the entrance, you can secure proof of the no. of guests that enter and from what I've read on the CC, this is actually the one thing where ABB usually sides with the host and charges the guest to make them pay the additional guest fee accordingly. 

Thanks for your suggestions but I actually already follow all of these steps except for the CC camera. 

Before they book they have to agree to my House Rules and in this it very clearly states what you get access to and then one of the house rules states to accept the Guest Access policy, where I have it restated in this too.

Airbnb have cancelled free of charge for the guest, twice withing two weeks because guests said they didn't know about the guest access. Also breaking my cancellation policy too. On both cases I didn't get anyone rebooking those dates as it was within 7 days of the check in date.

I get the feeling that some people know the loop holes and try and book places where they get rooms for free eg. rooms aren't locked. And when they find out my rooms are that's when some try and  cancel and make up lies.

It's very frustrating when I'm working 4 jobs and have two mortgages as a single female to try and cover all the bills when guests cancel for free and I don't get the rooms rebooked.

I love your idea of the CC camera and I'm strongly thinking this is exactly what I'm going to have to get. Have a great day. Jess

Hi am glad of your post.  I had an enquiry for 6 adults this morning, customer joined ABB this month, so no verifications.  Then this afternoon another person enquired for the same dates, 6 adults, again, no verification as she joined November.  I sent an an approval and she accepted, then cancelled and changed the booking to 4 adults and one less night.  I asked her which 2 bedrooms she required, and she said I thought it was the whole property.  I said that the price was for 4 adults and 2 bedrooms, sensing she was trying to get the place for 6 adults but pay for only 4.  I thought of asking my cleaner to go in, but now I realise I am there before them, I can install a small camera and record it on CCTV who comes through the gates!!

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

I agree with @Lilian0. Your listing description is too confusing.

Are you aware of the extra guests during the stay? 

If so, request money ASAP in person with the “request money” option. If they refuse, call Airbnb to find another place for them and kick them out. 

This is has happened to me before and I removed a guest around 2am in the morning.

if you are letting it slide and dealing with it after the stay, that is on you.

Ying27
Level 1
Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand

i have similiar situation. i offered bed and breakfast, offered towels. but the guest eat food in my fridge, use my toothpast... but they said if i service good they will back. i worried they give me bad review if i told off them. so they ripped me off because they knew i wants good rewiew.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Echuca-Moama-Holiday-Acc0 Yes, you've made it kinda complicated..............and IF a guest ever said they would write a bad review unless a discount or whatever they wanted (Hostage) I would report them....cancel them and block them forever. I care much more about my stress level, my comfort and much less about reviews - yes, I love my wonderful reviews and I've worked for them but I am honest and don't play games. I don't give discounts, or bend my own rules....as soon as we do....seems it is trouble. Happy Hosting,, Clara

Hi,

I´m new in Airbnb hosting, just started in the beginning of this summer. So you say I should "report" the guest if they would be threatning with bad reviews of similar. How do I report? The closest I found for this is on Airbnb the form where you can report discriminations .. but don´t know if extra guests in my apartment is a discrimination against Airbnb (the form is for that) or me.

I just had a (seemingly) nice young couple staying in my studio - that is listed for max 2 people - for 9 nights. I went to do the cleaning after they left yesterday, and it was clear more people had stayed in. The sofa-bed was moved and it had been opened, the folding extra bed was taken out, and all the linen (which I have double for 2 people) was next to the washing machine. Also some other smaller details gave clues there had been 1-2 people more than the couple I rented to. I don´t know if for 1-2 nights or if during the whole stay. Nothing was broken and everything is fine in the flat, just a lot of cleaning. It´s just the annoyence of knowing they obviously knew there is going to be more people and they were carefully hiding it from me. So not cool at all.

Now I don´t know should I just let it go. If I talk to them directly or write this in my review of them, they could write some s***y review as a revenge. I don´t really care if they would not write a review at all if I could just get the message through to them this is not an ok thing to do.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Laura1538 Hi Just looking at your listing and it is very sweet.  A few things that will be helpful is to understand the platform.  The more you can read and learn the better. 

I think you are correct AFTER the couple has left and been their 9 days it is too late. Unless they trashed the place - which sounds like they did not. Did you come in and clean linens during their stay - the normal is that linens get changed after a week - also, I would NOT leave extra linens if you don't want them used. There are people that will use towels up like crazy if they can - and others that use 1 towel for 5 days. It is crazy, and we never know. 

Obviously you don't meet the people cause they don't mention you - if that is possible I feel it is very helpful for the booking, respect and all involved. I meet and greet guests and give a quick tour - point out the house manual with all the info they need - also, the guest book  that they can add to a story, adventure, feedback and just about everyone does it. 

I see you do not charge a cleaning fee and I hope you have a security deposit on your listing - I didn't check. 

One suggestion about the photos - you might want to take away the number on the photos - like bathroom 1 and other shot you put bathroom 2 - some people will say, where was the other bathroom.  Or bedroom 1, 2, - Just make it simple -  " Bathroom, fully equipped and sparkling clean!" Also, since you are so close to water - I would get the price up quickly - you have a few nice reviews - go ahead,  because it is recommended to keep prices dirt cheap - it will book up,  just know when it is done correctly and honestly, I think you will do really well. Hope you don't mind the suggestion! Happy Hosting, Clara

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Laura1538 one more thing I forgot and you asked , you call Airbnb to report esp. if something needs to be done immediately about guests. 

When you call they will want proof of anything - so that means evidence - photo or video of extra people, etc. 

the more you can read and learn the better your hosting experience will be - LearnAirbnb is a great resource and you can also look on youtube for short term rental university - Richard has lots of good help for hosts. 

Peace, Clara

Hi Clara,

Thank you so much for putting thought and efforts into your answer(s)!

The tips you gave for the listing photos I will take into use immediately. Also; not leaving "extra" linen in the apartment is a good idea.

I do personally meet the guests when they come in, fill in the paper work with them and go through the details of the flat (if they need help with instructions of the washing machine etc) and I do have "useful information" house manual + maps of the surroundings.

I haven´t thought about suggesting about going there in the middle of someone´s stay - I think it could be a little bit intrusive. Thinking if I myself would be the guest and the host would want to come in to change the sheets (which I could perfectly do myself ) would feel more like a check-up, not actual help. The apartment has a washing machine and for those who stay longer than just a few days it comes in handy.

In this particular case I don´t think it would have even helped - if people want to hide an extra guest they just get him/her and the luggage out for that while.

About the pricing; I have actually already risen the prices for next summer which is the high season in my area... I decided 3 months ago (when I started)  to  try with the current prices, get the flat booked and get reviews flowing in. I have a security deposit but no cleaning fee. 

Regarding the latest guests who had the "extras" with them; I already called ABB for their opinion. I have no proof of what happened, and  I was not anyway after any compensation from the guest. I would just like the host community to know what the guest did, and then decide themsleves whether they want to rent to this guest or not. I would also like to tell "nicely" to the guest I know what happened and it´s not fair to do that. 

The guest has actually left a review today. Since they were so happy with everything and don´t know that I know about the extras, I believe the review is positive.
My plan (also supported by ABB support line) is to wait until 48h has passed (so guest cannot change the review) and then contact them saying neighbours had seen more people, and I noticed the sofa bed and extra matterss had been in use so were there more than 2 staying in? Based on the answer (or no answer) I will write my review of the guest. They didn´t do any damage in the apartment. I think it´s a case of "what does it matter"-thinking. Not thinking there are heavy reasons why the studio is listed for max 2 people and what could be the consequences to me if more people stayd in (with officials and neighbours, no matter how "well" they were behaving there). All in all, lying leaves a nasty taste in the mouth and makes you suspect things you wouldn´t worry about otherwise.

Thank you again Clara! I wish you a lovely weekend!
I am putting my efforts this weekend in welcoming the next guests in good spirit 🙂

/Laura

@Laura1538 Hi, I didn't know you had written until today.....we use @ and the name of the person and it sends an email so we know you have written a note to us.

Your idea about the review and waiting 48 hrs.(once both are written - they CAN NOT be altered or changed)  and waiting and all that is not the best way to fly and you have incorrect info.  Both reviews will be displayed at the same moment when 2 have been written. Or 14 days and one written - I recommend always  you write what you believe NO matter what they would say about extra guests or such. If you do not have 100% proof of extra guests you can't prove it and I would just shine it on. 

If guest stay past 6 nights you should offer them clean linens - you don't have to change them yourself but then give fresh linens. I NEVER return to the cottage after my guest arrive and I tell them I will not come back unless emergency or you request it. 

If you left extra linens and they stayed 9 days then my guess is they changed their linens and I would just let go of the extra guests things. Hope it all worked fine. Best, Clara