Extra pet fees?

Answered!
Tanya8
Level 3
Berkeley, CA

Extra pet fees?

My listing is pet-friendly, but I would like to charge an additional pet fee (or higher cleaning fee) for those individual guests who will stay with pets.

Is there any way to do that AFTER someone has sent me a reservation request?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

There are a couple ways you could handle it. The first is to let them know in the initial response what your pet fee is (I have mine clearly posted in my ad in two or three different places) and then alter the reservation. The second is to ask that they pay you upon arrival. In that first option, I let people know that I'll accept the reservation but then need to alter it in order to collect for the pet. If it is an inquiry, then you can give a special rate that includes your normal rate, plus any cleaning or pet fees. Seems like it would be a lot easier if there was a pet fee spot next to the number of guests or just as there is a cleaning fee added or not.  Alas, this is not yet the case. Not sure why, so many people travel with pets.  Best to you! Marcy

If this is helpful, please rate with a thumbs-up below. TY!

View Best Answer in original post

109 Replies 109
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

In order not to upset guests with pets with an additional fee, make a point of including a statement that there will be a fee charged for pets...both in your house rules and maybe also in your main description. Then you can add that extra fee because the guests will be expecting it.

how do I go about adding that fee?

Hi! See below.

There are a couple ways you could handle it. The first is to let them know in the initial response what your pet fee is (I have mine clearly posted in my ad in two or three different places) and then alter the reservation. The second is to ask that they pay you upon arrival. In that first option, I let people know that I'll accept the reservation but then need to alter it in order to collect for the pet. If it is an inquiry, then you can give a special rate that includes your normal rate, plus any cleaning or pet fees. Seems like it would be a lot easier if there was a pet fee spot next to the number of guests or just as there is a cleaning fee added or not.  Alas, this is not yet the case. Not sure why, so many people travel with pets.  Best to you! Marcy

If this is helpful, please rate with a thumbs-up below. TY!

How do we go about asking the Airbnb team to add a pet fee - everyone I have hosted with pets is happy to pay the extra fee but if I dont' ask them for it they forget, I forget, it's awkward... there is a charge for extra people why not for pets???

Daniel68
Level 5
California, United States

I totally agree, Airbnb should have a pet area as well as a custom fee area. why would they care if my customer does not like a fee that I have, they can always go to a nother vacation rental.

I too would like Airbnb to add a pet fee field.........I had to cancel a booking recently due to the guest did not respond about breed then argued he did not see a pet fee even though it's in my description and was in an email. Now I can't be a superhost for a YEAR because I cancelled him in under a day.

I think that is so tough - and airbnb just seem too anonymous these days to be willing to understand and respond appropriately.

I had ot wait an inordinate amount of time for superhost as well - because some young woman ( working at E&Y) decided I had dust - but she had a dog coming in and out and left the bi fold doors open on windy days - my home being underneath towering redwood trees. 

Recently though I had a couple with  2 x golden retrievers who would happily have paid more for pet cleaning ... as it was I spent a long time on hand and knees picking up / sweeping with a duster set lots of long white dog hair. 

Would seem pretty basic for airbnb ot enable this functionalisty next to the cleaning fee. 

agreed, let's ge that petition going. Most of my booking involve 1 or more pets... and i'm not getting paid for the extra cleaning either 😞

Call AIRBNB and they will probably rescind your cancellation penalty. They did for me when I  had to cancel because my calendar erroneously opened up dates that were not available.

I also want to be able to charge a pet fee and would like that to be an option so I don't have to charge it separately and ask a guest for a check or cash.

this is unacceptable for airbnb. I may go back to HomeAway/VRBO

Arbnb is horrible and should back up their owners rather than renters.    VRBO does and they are going strong.

Sometimes in a situation like this, if you contact Airbnb they'll make an exception and bump you back up to 100% on cancellation so you can maintain superhost status. I had good luck with that when I had a flood and had to cancel someone. 

If an advert did not include the fee, and the first time they brought it up was after they accepted the booking. Is it reasonable to ask for that fee? I feel like it should be clearly advertised first, and if it isn't, that really shouldn't be on the person with the pet.