[FESTIVAL] 5 easy things you can do to promote sustainable tourism

Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achères-la-Forêt, France

[FESTIVAL] 5 easy things you can do to promote sustainable tourism

image1.jpg

As a Host, I attach importance to the environmental impact of my business. I live in a small village in a regional nature park, in a Natura 2000 protected area, and many of my guests come to enjoy the surrounding nature. 

I know that many of us take this aspect into account as we welcome and host guests. Each small gesture adopted is an additional step in the sustainable tourism approach and, therefore, a small victory!

To get you started, I wanted to share 5 easy actions you can take to reduce your carbon impact:

1- replace paper towels with washable cloths and multiple rags

2- use refillable bottles for bathroom and dishwashing products and fill them with biodegradable products purchased wholesale or in bulk

3- propose a list of alternatives to traveling by car: bicycle rental, public transport, carpooling, etc.

4- choose an electricity subscription that comes from renewable energy sources. An electricity supply plan is referred to as “green” if the supplier can guarantee that an amount of renewable-origin electricity equivalent to the level of consumer demand for that supply plan has been delivered into the grid. 

5- offer garbage cans for sorting waste from recycling, and, if possible, a composter.

How about you? What small steps are you taking to promote sustainable tourism?

This topic is part of our Festival of Hospitality 2022. You can find the full line-up here.

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)
17 Replies 17
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very insightful! Thank you for sharing this @Delphine348!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Felicity11
Host Advisory Board Member
Manly, Australia

Hi @Delphine348  What a great post. I think we all need to be doing out bit to reduce our emissions. As a host we are in a unique position where we get to choose options for our homes that result in lower emissions being created eg, power company chosen, efficient taps and showers, insulated homes, and so on.  If we can then go on to extend into other ways that guests can continue to easily reduce their impact when staying with us they may go on to try these things in their own day to day lives at home. So good to be having this conversation with you all!  We offer many of the things above but one of the interseting things that guests to comment on to me are about my metal pegs.. so simple and so easy - swapping out plastic pegs for metal pegs..  - easy! 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ayxan0 I don't believe that the concept of sustainable tourism exists. All tourism is bad for the environment I am afraid.

On your point 4 - In the UK all the supplier has to do is pay for green certificates. There is far more 'Green' electricity sold in the UK that there is produced.