[FESTIVAL] Environmental sustainability levels - Small changes = Large changes.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[FESTIVAL] Environmental sustainability levels - Small changes = Large changes.

Mauricio 1.jpeg

Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 09.05.47.png

This theme is part of the Community Center's Sustainability Festival.

The original topic was published in the Spanish-speaking Community Center by @Mauricio467, and we have translated it below.

It was just on a trip where I read this phrase painted on a street wall in Costa Rica:

“When you plant a tree in whose shade you know you will never sit, you will begin to understand the meaning of Life.”

Environmental Sustainability is basically about taking certain actions today that do not jeopardize tomorrow. And with this in mind, here is my contribution. 

As hosts, we have the opportunity to make those days at home memorable for each of our guests, and if we have a way to contribute to the environment, which benefits our local communities, through hospitality, that would be fantastic!

Mauricio 2.jpeg

Adapt small habits that will have a big impact and contribute positively to the environment.

• Place a double or triple garbage can to separate garbage.
  • Invite your guests through your recommendations at home to reduce electricity consumption, reminding them to turn off lights, air conditioners, heaters, etc., when they are not in the room or when they are out of the house.
  • Be aware of any water leaks you may have in the kitchen or bathroom and invite your hosts to report immediately this type of damage that, besides being an extra expense for you, is irreparable damage to the Planet.

By taking care of these three super basic and easy-to-do aspects, besides offering a good service, you will start contributing in a super positive way to the Planet in the conservation of Water, Earth, and its Resources.

If you have a big project in mind for your space, or you were looking to remodel, think about including solar panels, electric charging stations in the garage, rainwater collection systems, smart waste separation, or any type of technology that favors the environment.  This will make an excellent contribution.

All these habits, both those that could be considered big and small, generate the same positive impact for the Planet. Change arises with the big ones, but the small ones are the ones that make it sustainable.

When our guests arrive in a space where they perceive that we take extra care with these aspects, they immediately join the habits and customs of the house where they are staying. During your stay in our space, whether long or short, you will be contributing to the Environment. 

In this Earth month, it is important that we reflect on the importance of the impact generated with some small oversight at home (water leaks, high electricity consumption, proper separation of waste) and begin to join the changes that will make Sustainable Hospitality possible, in addition to improving your space and saving a few bucks.

What changes would you make to help improve the Environment? 

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

4 Replies 4
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Mauricio467 our thought are similar, I try to influence and express to our guests that we are trying to save our planet in our own way. Most guests do help out with sorting the garbage and using the compst bin and they definately appreciate the garden. They also have the beauty of our clean beaches that have travelled to enjoy.

I haven't put up messages about turning off lights yet but I am going to put a label on which light is which as sometimes all the outside lights are on. We have solar installed and had more installed with the added airconditioners as they come with a price but they counter balanced themselves.

Mauricio467
Host Advisory Board Member
Cancún, Mexico

Whit this Festival I have realized that we are many people around the world which the determination ti help and contribute in our own way to improve the conditions to our planet. I am glad to know that there are many of us. 🙂

Mauricio
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Me too, @Mauricio467 - and I've learned so much from the Festival posts!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I am struggling a bit with getting guests to be a bit more environmentally friendly in my home. 

It might be controversial, but lately I have been getting a much higher percentage of guests of a certain nationality, and they are in particular not at all mindful of these things. People keep leaving taps running, the fridge thermostat is freaking out because people keep leaving the door open. Guests seem totally astonished by the idea of line drying their laundry (it's around 35 degrees Celsius here at the moment with the driest weather since 1976) and on and on...

I have this stuff mentioned in my house rules and I mention it again in my welcome tour, but it just seems to go over their heads. I don't want to be constantly nagging people about it and I definitely do not want to have to put signs and notes all over the place.

A current guest who works for an environmental organisation and says she is therefore really into sustainability, is not only not separating some of her trash, which wouldn't be such a big deal, but is kind of ironic, but is one of the most wasteful I've seen in terms of energy usage (and I have told her we are in the middle of an energy crisis and that energy efficiency is something that is very important to me). Her bedroom lights are always on, even if she is out the whole evening. I'm a bit alarmed at her water usage (and I have told her we are in the middle of a drought). She puts on the washing machine for the tiniest loads, I mean a handful of socks. I don't think I have ever seen anyone use so much water to wash one coffee cup. Her bathroom has very high water pressure so I dread to think how much she is using in there. I guess I'll know when my water rates go up again! 

I know as a host it is not my job to educate/house train people, but it's starting to get ridiculous and I need to regain some control over the energy and water usage in my home. What do I do??