[FESTIVAL] Hospitality also means eating together

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[FESTIVAL] Hospitality also means eating together

Quincy_0-1662124093203.jpeg

Screenshot 2022-09-02 at 09.47.18.png

This article is part of the Community Center's Festival of Hospitality 2022. The original  topic  was posted in the Italian-speaking Community Center by @Dario0 and we have translated it below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carbonara recipe

Meeting many guests sometimes also means sharing a nice plate of pasta... Cooked well. Have you ever eaten with your guests? 

Well, I may not be able to offer everyone a dish of good Italian pasta, but I can share the real recipe for pasta alla carbonara with you. And believe me, I'm from Rome: I've been practicing the art of pasta alla carbonara for many years. 

Here's the recipe: think of me when you eat it and it will be like we've eaten together with our guests virtually!

Ingredients for 2 people:

- 200 g of pasta

- 100 g of pecorino (hard sheep's cheese, typical of the Rome area)

- 150 g of pork cheek

- 2 whole eggs

- pepper to taste

As for which type of pasta to use to make this dish, I suggest you choose from spaghettoni, tortiglioni or mezze maniche.

There aren't many ingredients, so opt for quality. The flavor of this simple dish lies in the ingredients that you pick.

You need pork cheek, eggs and pecorino, a lot of pecorino.

Remove the rind (the hard part) from the pork cheek, cut it into small cubes and fry it in a pan without adding oil. I make it nice and crunchy by frying it twice. I do it once, wait for it to cool down a bit and let it brown again. Then I beat the eggs well in a glass salad bowl. I add the pecorino cheese and pepper and make a kind of cream. If it's too dry I add a little cooking water, but if it's too liquid you can add more pecorino cheese.

From here on you can follow two paths. For the fattier option: toss the drained pasta into the frying pan of used for the pork cheek, which will have a lot of melted fat, like oil, and then put everything in the glass salad bowl. Mix it up very fast, add a drop of cooking water if necessary and cover with film for a couple of minutes to "cook" the egg a little without turning it into an omelet, taking advantage of the heat from the pasta.

The less fatty way is to drain the pasta in the glass salad bowl with the creamy egg and pecorino mixture, adding water if it's too dry. Put all the pork cheek in and as much "pork cheek oil" as you want, but without using more than half. Then mix it well and cover it with film for 2 minutes.

Then put the pasta in the dish. I add more pecorino cheese and pepper on top.

For an extra tip, the pasta is better cooked in water that is not too salty, because between the pecorino and the pork cheek there will be no shortage of salt.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

10 Replies 10
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is a great a great post @Dario0! Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone on the community 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Thank you @Quincy ! I hope someone can follow the recipe and post some photos of the pasta here!

seguimi su Instagram @airbnb.dario - parlo di Locazione Breve e di Airbnb
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Dario0  @Quincy  yes terrific post.... thanks for the awesome recipe. I'd like to travel and taste it in person. My husband and I are planning our next big trip for Italy....soooo not sure where to but if near you....I will be in touch.  Ciao, Clara 

Hi @Clara116 , write me if you need any help to visit Rome. I was born there and I live there! 😄

@Dario0 Fantastic....thanks so much I will indeed remember. 

Best regards to you and your family

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dario0 

I never really experienced what carbonara was supposed to taste like until I ate it in Rome and then I was an instant convert. I now cook it fairly frequently at home here in London (I would cook it more often but I am aware that my waistline is expanding enough without it!).

You can come across some 'weird' wannabe versions of carbonara with ingredients such as cold sliced ham or cream or something. That has nothing to do with it as, you know!

An authentic carbonara is, well, just a joy.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Dario0 thank you for your receipe for the Italian Cabonara. When I make it I use bacon instead of the pork cheek as this difficult to obtain unless a special order was placed with a butcher. 

If we get to Italy with future travels we will haveto try the authentic receipe.

Ciao @Laurelle3 , Australia is very far away from Rome, Italy so I can imagine the difficulties to find the original ingredients. Anyway if you will have the chance to visit Rome just let me know and I will be happy to give you the best tips to eat some wonderful carbonara here. 😋

Bridget130
Level 10
Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy

sei forte @Dario0 ......fantastico ! carino da parte tua !

Bridget

Grazie @Bridget130 !😊