[FESTIVAL] I started hosting after being laid off

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[FESTIVAL] I started hosting after being laid off

Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 12.48.34.png

This topic is part of the CC Hospitality Festival.
The  original was published on the Italian Community Center by @ Alexandra516   and we have translated below.

On October 16, 2015, I set off for work as usual, with the cheerful tenacity and flawless professionality that I was known for. 

I remember checking out the various messages from the artists that morning; they always brought a smile to my face, and their undying appreciation and friendship made me feel so loved.

Upon my arrival, I found the English manager and their Italian counterpart waiting for me in a tiny, cramped room with a sheet of paper.

"Sign these papers. We have nothing left for you to do. As of tomorrow, you no longer work here." Laid off!

After 25 years at the same Company, a lifetime dedicated to work and art, and a daughter starting university.

That day, I wandered around the city in tears. I remember the anguish that had detonated inside my very soul, an overwhelming pain that words cannot describe.

I couldn't even bring myself to tell my loved ones — not my daughter, not my parents, not anyone. I felt tainted by guilt and shame, my disgrace a dishonourable blot upon my person.

At that moment, I even contemplated suicide.

For 5 years, I fought back with all my might. With 6 of the best lawyers, I filed two large lawsuits against the Company, which came to their conclusions in June 2020.

It was a fruitless effort, as I ultimately obtained only a lump sum settlement.

With only the house as an asset, I landed upon Airbnb as a means to make ends meet.

My negative thoughts, my depression, and my anxiety were all driven away by the modest earnings coupled with the joy of discovering new things: a whole new world to explore with people from all over the globe.

But I had to give up exhibitions and helping artists. So, I made them a promise: I would bring them home with me, an exhibition in my own house, to show the whole world how Art can lift people's spirits, giving them light and strength.

In short, my house is a hidden gem not because of any inherent value but because I've put everyone's heart and soul into my home.

Hugs to you all. I hope someday to start over in style with my own successful gallery, but money is tight. My daughter has graduated magna cum laude from medical school, which I'm mentioning as I can breathe a bit easier now.

3 Replies 3
Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

Parabéns Alexandre conseguiu superar !todo artista coloca o coração o amor no que fais grata Loni

Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

Wow and what a job you did! Your apartment looks stunningly beautifull. From the deep darks to the highest achievements. That sounds to me as you are a very strong woman.

Groetjes Katja
Yuan100
Level 10
Singapore

@Alexandra516 

Never give up! I am sure you will have a gallery of your own in the near future. So happy to hear that you discovered a whole new world of the living by opening your door to strangers from all around the world.