[FESTIVAL] ​​Individual wastewater treatment – my eco-friendly choice

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[FESTIVAL] ​​Individual wastewater treatment – my eco-friendly choice

Photo showing the reed receptacle in our homePhoto showing the reed receptacle in our home

Laura_1-1650622466867.png

This theme is part of the Community Center's Sustainability Festival.

The original topic was posted in the French-speaking Community Center by @Delphine348, and we have translated it below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Achères la Forêt is located in a UNESCO biosphere nature reserve in the Fontainebleau massif, a remarkable Natura 2000 (European Union) ecological site. When we completely renovated the house, we had to install an individual sewage system. I chose phyto-purification because it respects the environment and promotes biodiversity.

Its goal is to transform the water polluted by domestic human activity into water that can be assimilated by the natural environment. The resulting water isn't safe to drink. It is very rich in minerals that can be absorbed by the soil and plants, much like a fertilizer.

Definition-explanation

Phyto-purification (or plant filtering) is based on the principle of separating solids and liquids, as well as particle degradation by bacteria.

It relies on three elements:

- bacteria that break down organic particles so they can be absorbed by the natural environment.

- the substrate, consisting of gravel, constituting the bacteria's habitat. It's also a filter that allows water to pass through while blocking larger components.

- plants, that stimulate bacterial activity around their roots and absorb a small proportion of the minerals.

Advantages of phyto-purification

Phyto-purification is an effective, high-quality wastewater treatment solution. Unlike other systems, its plant filter doesn't consume any electricity or require complex maintenance such as draining sludge and transporting it to a treatment site. Its energetic/logistic autonomy makes phyto-purification the most ecological wastewater treatment solution.

Filters installed in this way recreate wetlands, an element necessary for the development of life. Many auxiliaries (insects, birds, batrachians, etc.) return to the area, making it a positive step towards biodiversity. Phyto-purification filters are covered with gravel, not water, so there is no risk of mosquito proliferation.

The system does not require maintenance by a qualified technician, emptying a septic tank, or energy (except if a lifting station is needed to supply the filters, but this only costs a few euros per year if necessary).

Collective phyto-purification has become the most common wastewater treatment system in France for cities with less than 1,000 inhabitants. Your wastewater may already be in the roots of plants!

To learn more - Source: LowtechLab

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

3 Replies 3
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Stephanie @Delphine348 Thanks for something I'm so curious to know more about - since I am part of an organic gardening family and a plant loving person this is something I'll certainly be reading about. As my husband often says: its all about the poop. He is an avid composter so I'm very interested to add this topic to our discussions. Thanks for posting this. Cheers, Clara

Luzmi4
Level 2
San Marcos La Laguna, Guatemala

Hello! I offer my guests an Eco  Lifesyle on the shores of Lake Atitlan in Guatemala, said to be among the most beautiful lakes on Earth. We use Dry composting toilets in my 3 listings and in my house. Also offer experiencial learning by design. I have 12 appropriate technologies working in my 4,000 square meters lakefront property, a piece of paradise said by most of my guests! I love hosting via Airbnb, it is now at 68 my dream job and I make great money by sharing with my guests my life passions. Some guests even come for water collie lessons or Maya superfoods cooking, but most want to learn about living an elegant simple life, without a fridge, water polluting conventional toilet, fossil fuel energy, etc, but discovery old ir more modern technical solutions for a sustainable lifestyle being if service to our Earth!!!

Daniel1651
Host Advisory Board Member
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Very interesting what you tell us @Delphine348   Phyto-depuration seems to be a very beneficial solution for the environment. And how nice that you live in such a natural and protected environment!