[FESTIVAL] More bibimbap

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[FESTIVAL] More bibimbap

Quincy_1-1629713856813.jpeg

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 11.04.00.png

This topic is part of the CC Hospitality Festival.

The original topic was posted on the German-speaking Community Center by  @Till-and-Jutta0, and we have translated it below. 

------

This period has been a real challenge for society as a whole, and here I'd like to focus on the aspect of hosting and traveling. While many have stopped offering their private rooms during the pandemic, others have come up with alternatives. For instance, we have changed our processes so that the guests have their own entrance and kitchenette, and they already have their own bathroom anyway - so our paths don't cross.

Communication has been always essential for us, so we want to know who we're sharing our home with, what brings our guests to us, and who we can expect.

At times, we were affected by an accommodation ban for tourist stays, but this has been relaxed now and, depending on the incidence, our guests no longer require Covid certificates.

It's obvious that as a host you have to take special hygiene and cleaning measures and that, if you test positive, you can't travel or host guests. This is required by law in most countries, as well as by Airbnb itself "Guests who've been diagnosed with COVID-19 should not book a space on Airbnb to quarantine themselves." The user's account may also be temporarily restricted.

New, stricter entry requirements have come into force recently in Germany requiring non-vaccinated and non-recovered people from high-risk areas to self-quarantine, which isn't possible with a private room in a shared apartment because there's always some kind of contact, even if it's only behind a screen (like in our case).

That's why we ask our guests where they've been in the last 10 days before check-in and, if they're coming to us from a high-risk area, what they've done to reduce their risk of getting infected (as required by the new entry requirements). All we want is to make sure our guests don't turn up at our door later and find out they're not allowed to check in.

Airbnb recommends that all hosts send guests the following message before booking:

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 11.15.46.png

Nevertheless, it's possible for a guest to check in having tested negative, and then suddenly turn out to be positive. Now what? The same thing has happened to us, and I'd like to briefly share our experience:

We had a long-term guest who was working nearby and wanted to go home to his family one weekend. To go back to his home country, he had to take a test, which turned up positive! We were informed immediately and took special isolation measures, including putting up an airtight partition across our apartment and ventilating it at all times. We also self-isolated until we got our negative PCR results.

What were our options? Where could the guest have gone? He wasn't allowed to go back to his home country, and he was supposed to self-isolate for at least two weeks. Ultimately, our measures worked: the guest was able to recover with peace of mind, and we remained healthy.

Self-isolating means zero physical contact with anyone else. Modern means of communication help, but they're still not enough to deal with the loneliness of isolating, so we went shopping for our guest and asked if he wanted some hot food. He was very grateful to get one hot meal a day at least, and  we wanted to cater to the guest's taste and remain faithful to our favorite Asian-vegetarian cuisine.

Important to know: When preparing meals for others, there are special precautions you have to take – possibly including a COVID certificate as well as hygiene training – please check local regulations.

One of our favorite dishes is bibimbap, a Korean specialty, and we weren't sure what our guest would think of it. The secret is the special sauce that includes miso and paprika paste, oil from roasted sesame seeds, and a healthy amount of fresh garlic and chili powder. A very intense, "resonating" taste that's initially unfamiliar to our palates. The temporary loss of the sense of smell and taste that often occurs with the COVID infection may well come in handy.

In any case, our guest loved the dishes, and we were happy to fulfill his next food request: more bibimbap!

Photo supermarché de BostonPhoto supermarché de Boston

Looking back, despite the drama and the restrictions, this was one of the most enjoyable experiences of our 11 years of hosting. But in this particular case, it was also thanks to our extremely friendly and sociable guest. That's how, despite the pandemic, Airbnb is still great fun!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

14 Replies 14
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Quincy  loved reading this inspiring story and I completely tip my hat and heart to Till and Jutta for such ability to show compassion and kindness on this amazing scale. Extraordinary indeed.

Thanks for sharing this. 

Blessings, Clara

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Clara116, it is a lovely story, indeed! 😃

-----

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Thank you @Quincy  for translating @Till-and-Jutta0  post.  I must admit that I’ve never had this Korean dish, but with travel I just might one day. Or I could go to the local Korean restaurant and see if it’s on the menu……

I’ve  never experienced having a Covid19 positive guest on site, but I must say you sound like you handled the situation admirably. After all, those negative tests can change. Here in the Northern Territory, if you were to have Covid19 you would be taken into medical care under supervised quarantine. This is a government facility with medical staff, catering etc.

I also have a Covid19 declaration checklist which guests need to complete on arrival. It is simple, but comprehensive.  I leave a few spare in case they have a day visitor show up to the AIrbnb space.

It is a complex time we live in so may I wish you well with your brilliant generosity, care and hospitality. Hopefully, you won’t have to go through this critical hosting, a second time. 🌻

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I love bibimbap @Cathie19! You should try it out sometime 🙂

-----

@Cathie19  yum yum ...in authentic Korean restaurants, they served it in a hot stone pot. So, you must be very careful not to burn your tongue. The bottom part of the rice should be crispy. I enjoy that part the most ^-^ 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

Till and Jutta0 we need the full bibimbap receipe please. Just would like to say thank you for caring and sharing your space with someone "your guest" with positive covid. Compassion and being a good Samaritan comes from the heart which makes our world friendlier place to live in.

Agree! Or else we'll just all have to come visit! 

Loved this post @Till-and-Jutta0 

Personally, I think Bibimbap is great because it's so versatile - you don't really need a "recipe" to make bibimbap, and it can be tailored easily for different diets. All you need is rice...... and any veggies, meat or protein (runny eggs and tofu are my personal favorites) that you happen to have in the fridge. It's actually  a great way to finish off leftovers~ Whatever combination of ingredients are thrown together and mixed..... somehow it's always tasty 🙂 

Here are a few links with recipes . 

https://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/FOD/FO_ENG_2_2.jsp

https://www.finedininglovers.com/article/cooking-classics-korean-bibimbap

https://mykoreankitchen.com/bibimbap-korean-mixed-rice-with-meat-and-assorted-vegetables/

@Laurelle3 @Cathie19 @Clara116 @Quincy 

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

I totally agree @Jessica-and-Henry0 , Bibimbap is such an easy but delicious dish! I think the secret is the sauce, which we always have on stock.

Put in a large bowl:

• 500 g Gochujang (red pepper paste)
  • 250 g Doenjang (something like miso paste of soy beans)
  • 1 tea spoon hot chili powder
  • 4 table spoon roasted sesame oil (must be roasted)
  • 3 minced garlic
  • 2 table spoon sugar

Mix and add some hot water to get it smooth, fill it in a jar, and keep it in the fridge.

Yummy – goes with everything! Dose carefully.

Doenjang and GochujangDoenjang and Gochujang

2021-08-25 11.44.44.jpg

@Till-and-Jutta0 

Thank you for sharing your lovely story! Your story makes me miss my hosting years. It is nice to be able to share food with people. Food is a universal language, which is also an expression of who we are. 

I like how you emphasised 'ROASTED SESAME OIL', it sure did make a huge difference!  The sauce is also good for the marinade. It sure goes well with anything! 

@Till-and-Jutta0 @Yuan100 

If you haven't tried already, the sauce is also great as a dip for veggie sticks~ 

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Far too hot. But we use it also as spice for our local dishes.

@Till-and-Jutta0 

To make a less spicy version of your sauce for a veggie dip, you can simply remove the chili power (or adjust the amount of gochujang and/or chili powder used)  and add a couple spoons of mayo. 

I usually use the gochujang as-is for bibimbap sauce and veggie dips 🙂 

I love hot and spicy~~ 

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Till-and-Jutta0 

Many thanks for this interesting topic that you shared with us 

Thanks, 

Miloud