[FESTIVAL] Who hasn’t heard of Tunisian hospitality?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[FESTIVAL] Who hasn’t heard of Tunisian hospitality?

Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 10.57.34.png

Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 10.56.24.png

This topic is part of the CC Hospitality Festival.

The original topic was posted on the French-speaking Community Center by @Tarek63, and we have translated it below.

Far from being a legend, this generosity is reflected in the everyday lives of all travellers. Here, you will be invited to drink mint tea, smoke hookah with friends, and be served a meal with a smile.

Tunisian hospitality can also be seen in the many gestures of affection conveyed to a guest.

If you are welcomed into a family, your host will bend over backwards to make you feel good, the best porcelain ware will come out, and couscous with lamb or fish, brik, tajine, and Mechouia salad will be served.

Nick_0-1629885641511.jpeg

If you visit the northwest or south of Tunisia, there is a ritual that sums up the very essence of welcoming guests the Tunisian way:

A small plate is quick to appear as an offering to the visitor.

At the bottom of the plate is seasonal honey in a small sea of olive oil with taboon bread.

As you leave, you will undoubtedly be surprised to see the family give you a small gift, object, or food.

Per Tunisian hospitality, you can't just let your guest leave empty-handed. 

Nick_1-1629885641529.jpeg

7 Replies 7
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Nick  @Tarek63 Terrific post and lovely pics.....made me wanna leave right now and fly immediately to visit and enjoy this amazing style in hosting/generosity/and awesome foods. 

Seems many different cultures have similar customs and rituals and it always reminds me how we in America have so much to learn about giving, sharing and hospitality from many others around the world - I know we try to do it but its so very differently done and in my mind doesn't come close. I know different strokes for different folks - Folks don't attack me on this, just an opinion. I suppose all the differences are why many travel to be inspired, encouraged and humbled just a little bit. Thanks for reminding me, this is terrific!

I'll be noting your name and listing Tarek so that when we are able to once again travel the world over I want to experience and learn from you.

Blessings,

Clara

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Tarek63  Like @Clara116, I need to go to Tunisia ASAP.  Amazing.  Thank you!

@Ann72 ok girlfriend..

Start packing we could meet one day there! No nice dream.

You're on @Clara116!  We would have a blast and I can't wait.  🙂

@Ann72 for certain....total blast and I too can't wait 😎💥

@Ann72 ,@Clara116,

welcome, I will be honored to make you discover my country.
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Can't wait for a CC social meetup after your trip @Clara116 @Ann72