FLEAS - HELP!

Kimi3
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

FLEAS - HELP!

Hi guys 

Would appreciate a bit of help or more opinion really...

I've been renting my place since Feb this year and have had 20+ bookings, all of which have gone pretty swimmingly. 

My current guest, and the last one for this calendar year (thanks London Limits!), moved in on Wednesday and has been a bit of trouble, frankly. She messages me several times a day over the most inane things. This is by the by, however. 

Around 11pm last night she messaged to say that I have a problem in the upper bed (it's a split level maisonette) with fleas! 

She says there is flea poo in the bed and they are covered in bites. I asked her to send me evidence and they are, indeed, covered in bites but she says she has bagged the bedding as she didn't want it to spread so can't send me pictures of that.

In the 6 years I've been living there I've never had fleas, none of the past guests have reported any problems at all (except to say the bed is really comfy!!) and my boyfriend and I sometimes live there between bookings and we've never felt anything. I don't have any pets and don't allow them in my apartment. 

I'm not sure what to do as I'm fairly certain they've been brought here by her or one of her party but obviously it's my word against hers and either way if there are fleas they need to be dealt with!

They've helped themselves to new bedding so I think I will go over there this afternoon with flea powder and treat the mattress, duvet, pillows etc and see how they do... 

I don't know what to do about Airbnb though - if they report me, like I said, it's my word against theirs. If it bothered them that much they would leave but I don't want them to stay then ask Airbnb for a full refund. 

Can they do this?

On a side note as a host I have always gone above and beyond for my guests, including driving out there at 3am when a guest locked themselves out, fixing anything immediately and always being on call but I just don't know what to do about this one and I'm not sure what my liabilities are. 

Unfortunately it's her first ever booking so I didn't have reviews to take into consideration. She was one of my first bookings though when I started so rookie mistake on my part I guess!! 

Has anyone had anything similar? 

Any thoughts, opinions, recommendations or anecdotes would be very much appreciated!!!

XX THANK YOU XX

15 Replies 15

@Kimi3 - Contact  the guests via the Airbnb portal and find out what they would like to do first. (do not have any conversations with them off the system unless you also document what was said on the system afterwards.   Explain that if they are unhappy they can cancel the remainder of their reservation and you will refund based on your cancellation policy.  If you want, offer more than what they would be entitled to receive which in this case is "If the guest arrives and decides to leave early, 50% of the accommodation fees for the nights not spent 24 hours after the cancellation occurs are refunded." 

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#moderate

In this way, you put the guest on notice that you've provided them a reasonable option to move along if the bugs and bites are really an issue for them.  DO NOT CANCEL FOR THEM!  

Then contact Airbnb immediately with the guest's decision and document it within the Airbnb portal.  Tell them that the guest is claiming that fleas are in the apartment and that you need to urgently deal with the problem, if it does so exist, at least to enter the property to vacuum, wash the infected linens, and spread flea powder (don't enter without permission).  Personally, I'd be more afraid what they've brought you were bed bugs, not fleas, but fleas are way easier to destroy.  http://www.fleabites.net/how-to-get-rid-of-fleas-in-your-bed/

See what Airbnb says about the situation.  If the guests choose to stay, Airbnb will likely tell you to just be patient and wait it out.  Do not let Airbnb convince you to cancel the reservation as a "host cancel"- you will be penalized - and you don't want to cancel because you aren't 100% sure that the situation is legit yet.  

Good luck! 

Thanks so much guys!

I went with the pictures of their bites to my local hardware store and the owner has hotel experience and he thinks they have brought bed bugs with them 😞

I'm going to vacuum and spray everything this afternoon, the thing is they've helped themselves to new bedding but are still using the old duvet which will do nothing but infect more bedding! 

They don't seem to have any intention of leaving so I'll treat the bed and everything on it then probably just boil wash and replace everthing after they leave. 

Nightmare! And such a shame as this is my last hosting experience for the year and it's been great until now... 

Same thing just happened to us tonight. we are super host with over 150   five star reviews 

The time frame alone of your claimed time of arrival being 11;46PM with a 24 minute time gap of your obviously FALSE complaint being 12:14 am in addition to the beds having been clearly slept in speaks volumes! again Nice Try! p.s. My degree is in Investigations.
Today at 2:06 AM

@Casey-and-Renda0 

Good on you Casey, stand your ground!

There is an ever increasing number of 'guests' who are travelling with a supply of bedbugs they will introduce into the property on the last day of their 10 day stay in order to claim a full refund.

Airbnb are onto this, and so are most of us hosts, but it is a wise precaution to document your bug treatment regime during listing turnaround to Airbnb. Then if a complaint comes in, Airbnb are not 'flying blind'....it will be on your profile notes and in many instances CX can nip these sort of complaints in the bud if they can quote your cleaning regime to the complainant! These bast*rds think they can bluff their way through and when confronted with evidence on Airbnb's side they will disappear faster than a cream bun at a fat ladies party!

There are some sh*ts of guests out there though Casey, and you do need to be ready for them!

Good luck mate!

Cheers......Rob

We have had mostly awesome experiences hosting but yes every now and then you get the occasional moron. Little did tonights fools realize I have a degree in investigations with over 35 years experience so I was easily able to prove the fraud. simply in the video where he implies that most of the fleas were in a certain area was a dead giveaway since they suddenly seemed to vanish in thin air once the GoPro was rolling . Have a good one Bob and thanks for the reply. Cheers 

We had a 2nd scam attempt this time it was a false claim of bedbugs the scam is becoming rampant!    There is a new and rapidly growing scam happening where Airbnb guest are ordering live bedbugs online and using them to get free stays and also resulting in huge civil judgments.

If a investigative journalist were to simply acquire the list of customer names who have purchased live bedbugs online and connected these names to the false Airbnb claims as well as recent court awards it has the potential to making national news and resulting in journalism awards. 

How the scam works: Someone planning a trip to New Orleans for lets say July 1st through the 5th would simply book the airbnb from July 4th-4th. on the 4th they would simply place and take a picture of one or more of the bugs on a pillow or sheet in the home then notify the owner and airbnb that they were bitten and found bedbugs resulting in a full refund of the booking and leaving on the intended planned date. 

Airbnb is aware of the scam. 

Company selling live bedbugs online http://www.dakotabedbugdetection.com/bedbug-sales.html

Injury attorneys are jumping on board!    https://www.bedbugattorney.co/bed-bug-lawsuit-value/

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

Flea bites are usually worse on the leg and the lesions present in a straight line as the buggers hop forward.  Bed bugs are much more randomly placed on the torso front and/or back.

if these are bed bugs, you are in for a big headache.  This is really one for professionals   Get your Google on to learn the ins and outs.

best luck!

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

PS.  If you suspect bedbugs, dont wait for her to leave, get her and herluggage (thats how they travel) out of there and fumigate fast..

Kimi3
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Amy!

It's the strangest thing, I went in there with my friend who used to work in a hotel and knows exactly what to look for and we couldn't find anything...

The sheets which, by her description, were "covered in poop" didn't have a single mark on them. Not one. We also had a look in all the crevices in the headboard/mattress to see if there is any remnents and nothing. 

So I've taken the sheets and duvets away and hoovered and sprayed all the upholstory and mattresses and we'll wait to see what happens.

Thing is she could have been bitten anywhere during her travels - bites can take days to show up as the anesthetic from the bug wears off.

So fingers crossed! I can't wait for her to leave if truth be told 😮

Hope she's not trying to scam me for a refund and get a free trip out of it! I've taken pictures of the sheets, upholstory and mattress so if it comes to it hopefully I'll be covered. 

XX

Casey-and-Renda0
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

There is a new and rapidly growing scam happening where Airbnb guest are ordering live bedbugs online and using them to get free stays and also resulting in huge civil judgments.

If a investigative journalist were to simply acquire the list of customer names who have purchased live bedbugs online and connected these names to the false Airbnb claims as well as recent court awards it has the potential to making national news and resulting in journalism awards. 

How the scam works: Someone planning a trip to New Orleans for lets say July 1st through the 5th would simply book the airbnb from July 4th-4th. on the 4th they would simply place and take a picture of one or more of the bugs on a pillow or sheet in the home then notify the owner and airbnb that they were bitten and found bedbugs resulting in a full refund of the booking and leaving on the intended planned date. 

Airbnb is aware of the scam. 

Company selling live bedbugs online http://www.dakotabedbugdetection.com/bedbug-sales.html

Injury attorneys are jumping on board!    https://www.bedbugattorney.co/bed-bug-lawsuit-value/

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kimi3  I'd get rid of her, because whatever the truth is, 1) she brought bed bugs to your unit accidentally, 2) she brought them as a scam, 3) she's high maintenance and hallucinated the bed bugs, it's a huge problem for you.  If there are bed bugs, you need her out so you can sanitize the place, and you need her stuff out so it doesn't continue to infect, if there are no bed bugs and she's nutty, she will continue to be nutty and cause a problem.  You are in for a bad review though, so you might want to get a professional who can certify no bed bugs.

I'm just curious, was there any red flag in her communication before arriving?  

Tetiana12
Level 2
Stryi, Ukraine

You have to take care of the house, carpets, area around walls etc. flea eggs will pop three weeks after. So after 3 weeks after you have cleaned and spray you will have to repeat it! Check out https://www.worldpetexpress.net/ for more info

I am visiting the airbnb community center exactly in cause of this reason, I wanted to find articles from hosts who think they got scammed by guests with bed bugs. First of all, sorry you needed to experience this scam, let's hope you really don't have any bed bugs. I had myself 3 guests over 6 years who claimed, I would have bed bugs and each time, it turned out I do not have any. I think it's a tactic to get full refund and stay for free. Or I also thought, maybe the guests themselves have a bed bug problem and this is why they book other places to stay on airbnb, during they exterminate their own places. The first time it happened to me, I refunded my guest. she stayed even with her daughter for 10 days and after she checked out she started claiming, I would have bed bugs. Second time, 4 years later, a guest stayed over 3 days, started claiming on his last day, he thinks I have bed bugs, I looked at his wrist, there was nothing, then I told him, if I get bed bugs after you, thats bc you brought them here. The same guest booked my place a month later 2x again. The third guest, stayed, checked out and 4 days after check out, he started texting me, he got bitten. I asked for pics, he didn't sent any, I asked where he stayed after me during this 4 days, he says at his brother's place, but his brother, it's impossible he would have bed bugs :). During back and forth via tex, I receive an email from airbnb, the guest gave me a review, and the guest texted me, " I gave you an excellent review." and disappeared with his convo. I am very upset and this is why I am looking here to see if there are more people who got scammed by guests with bed bugs. Every time it happens to me, I cannot sleep, it also cost every time a lot of money to invite a firm to determine if you have any bed bugs. I really hope that this epidemic scam is not getting bigger. I am taking it definitely serious but this 3 guests showed me that they were scamming me. Any suggestions how to stop this "bed bug scam"?

Sheila555
Level 2
Mill Valley, CA

As a person who travels and benefits from the charming and unique homes through AirBnB, I have mostly been good about picking hosts and stays that have been enjoyable. I want to share that I have experienced fleas at one of my stays. I grew up with pets, but hadn't experienced a flea infestation.

My stay was a second story apt, hardwood floors with area rugs, and on the surface, it appeared very clean, tidy and well appointed. Yes, the host allowed pets, but required proof of flea medication/treatment - this is now a red flag for me. Especially since I imagine fleas from a pet to a flea infestation likely takes time to develop.

Some keys points: I didn't initially notice it. I was there a couple days before I realized what was going on, primarily since it was a business trip, and I arrived late the first night, was out early the next day and then late home the second night, so I went straight to bed these nights. Day 2, I woke up and noticed bites on my feet and ankles and arm. Since I was in a humid place and in and outdoors the day before, I was concerned, but thought the bites I had where possibly from mosquitos or from a friend I had dinner with who had a dog. But the third night I came home, after a day of torrential rain, I went into the bathroom to my hang up my soggy shoes and noticed some black dots on my ankles, and went to dust what I thought was specks of mud off and ugh, the spots jumped. Then more jumped on and I removed them and rinsed them down the sink, only to stand there and over and over again rinsing them down the sink as they kept jumping on me. in dismay, I walked out onto the hardwood and back into the bathroom, assessing if it was as bad as I suspected, and sure enough, lots of fleas and then more kept jumping on me as I was standing there, mostly small from I suspect a recent hatching. It frankly was beyond gross and there was no way I could stay.  I immediately left and communicated with the host since there was nothing, I would have been able to do to improve the situation except to leave. The host was apologetic, responsive, and we communicated to resolve.

In a perfect world the host would have refunded the whole stay since I ended up hugely out of pocket for a multiday hotel stay last minute. 

Reading what it is like to be a host, I was sad to read the bitterness! I understand that you can end up with renters you don't like or who may be scammers - and I can understand it being upsetting. Hopefully you enjoy being a host and are working on creating an experience that benefits your guests and is fulfilling for you.

I share this experience, so you know that not all guests notice right away when something is off. And I honestly work to be a good guest, likely many others, so our reviews remain positive too. Also, as a guest, I and others take risks too and can lose out financially when pest or other issues arise. Honestly, no sincere guest wants to move or end a stay last minute if it can be avoided. 

In my situation, I was able to afford moving accommodations, even though it was a big disruption and not what I had expected to spend, but some travelers who use the AirBnB experience to save money may not be as fortunate.

I would suggest that in some ways, as a host you have to deal with the possibility of pest exposure within a global travel business, as a potential cost of doing business, whether pet related or not. Also being a host means answering questions, even if you think they are annoying, because frankly being transparent and helpful are good traits as a host.

The AirBnB model works because there are primarily good hosts and good guests. I hope it continues to stay that way.