FORGET FILING A DAMAGE CLAIM. YOU WILL NOT BE COMPENSATED.

Jeannie19
Level 1
Middleburg Heights, OH

FORGET FILING A DAMAGE CLAIM. YOU WILL NOT BE COMPENSATED.

BE AWARE!!!

So you think Airbnb has your back when damage is done to your place?

It does not!

I have been part of Airbnb since 2012. I have been a Superhost for years. I have had little things break, but have never put in a claim.

Earlier this month, I had a person who (somehow?) broke a six light track lighting system that will cost about $250 to replace. I tried a number of times to deal directly with this person to no avail.

I contacted Airbnb within it's time frame parameters, to help me recover the replacement cost and so I put in for a $160.00 claim.

I sent all documentation complete with pictures, explaination and went to the store itself, to show the actual amount to replace this fixture. I was willing to absorb the upcost for the light and the price of an electrician to replace it.

Finally after 3 WEEKS of sending and resending all of the same info, I finally got their resolution.

Last evening Airbnb decided $25.00 was all I was entitled to. 

***HERE IS WHAT I SO NAIVELY BELIEVED*****

$1,000,000 Host Guarantee
The Host Guarantee protects your home and your stuff from accidental damage. Every host with a listing on Airbnb is eligible for coverage at no additional cost. You don’t have to do anything to sign up.
Host Protection Insurance
Host Protection Insurance is designed to protect you from liability in case your guests get hurt or cause property damage. It’s automatically included as part of your Airbnb account.

So again, Be aware of how this company treats their life blood.

130 Replies 130
Jen108
Level 2
Manila, Philippines

To read this is so disheartening 😞 I would have thought Airbnb is objective and if ever partial, partial to their hosts. Because why would a host want to bother with a claim and stress himself if it's not because of real damage. I cannot imagine how many hosts have suffered the same fate when all we really want is to receive fair compensation.

Is there any way to explain the situation better, like can they just call us instead of emailing back and forth?

When Airbnb mediates do they do so with the guest in the loop? Because my guests are still LYING about smoking even after i find butts in the unit and them agreeably leaving (citing a different issue as a cover up).

Jen108
Level 2
Manila, Philippines

Thankful for this thread because Airbnb Help on Twitter responds in under 5 minutes!!! Love that team.

On the other hand the actual people handling cases only reply once a day and keep changing...

Jen125
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Same! I had the same horrible experience with Airbnb. 

Conrad1
Level 2
St Augustine, FL

also maybe a warning to not rent to Airbnb's without positive reviews?

A recent guest involved in NYC media and government basically let me know that airbnb is a part of that whole structure and we only get guests decided by airbnb which can end at any time and that my listings aren't being shown to everyone. 

There's really nothing I can do about it.  And in my case, many of the guests are wearing clothes that cost more than my sofa or even ALL of my furniture total.   What can you do?  If airbnb decides to suspend my account and I have no guests, I'll just enjoy painting the whole apartment SUPER girly and try to use the natural sunlight streaming in through 22 windows to offset the electricity that Con Edison may turn off as they have in past (and forced us to get a licensed electrician to turn back on and not for nonpayment - they claimed it was necessary until after we had paid the electrician and then said oh our mistake  - very cruel).

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

One thing for sure my Dad welcome guest does a walk through and tells the guest respect my house my house respect you pluse he cheack the front of the house pluse hallway for safty reason 

you and me all of us have to be responsible of our product 

cheack your guest from time to time to see if everything is all right see if they go out a lot then you all right then if they don't go out a lot then cheack to see if everything is right you know what I mean

Sarah1210
Level 1
San Diego, CA

I have had a similar experience. A guest did not use the curtain while showering and flooded the bathroom. The hardwood floors buckled and water leaked to the floor below. I have a quote equaling $18,000 to replace the wood floors (all continuous on the floor of the bathroom, as it is a loft) and have not heard anything. I am taking Airbnb to small claims - this is of course exactly what they want because it is cheaper than upping their insurance costs and will end up less of a pay out then paying out of their Property Damage Guarantee. I will never host with Airbnb and will continue to slander them by word of mouth because they really screwed me over. Terrible customer service. See you in court Airbnb! I am waiting until a class action is filed..

I am at the very beginning of filing one your situation can help ! 

Frances109
Level 2
Murrells Inlet, SC

Hello to everyone with similar grievances, my name is frances ferdinand and I along with my team of lawyers will be filling a class action lawsuit against bnb for their lack of property damage payouts.  New or old if you are interested please email coach.ferdinand@gmail.com Please begin to gather all documents pertaining to your situation. Also note these cases can take 1-3 years to settle . Like many of you I rent out my home with the hopes that whomever stays will respect it and if damage is done to be compensated. The only way to bring about change is to act,  again I encourage you to reach out and email coach.ferdinand@gmail.com 

thank you 

Lou2527
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

My guest poured full cans of milk and juice intentionally and wrote with markers all over. Trying to file a claim but Airbnb is very slow. How can I get help.  Thanks. 

I'm having the same experience with Airbnb. Found confirmed meth in my house, sent copies of police report damages to my brand new kitchen sink that they disfigured while burning their meth, and that I had to have my walls and cabinets wiped down by the cleaning lady. I have contacted Airbnb on numerous occasions with no success. I,m leaving the Airbnb community and just lease the apartment where I can vet my renters. I do not know how to file a case. Unfortunately these were my first guest.