FRAUD ACCOUNT ALERT - POTENTIAL THEFT/ROBBERY - TAMPA BAY, FL / PALM HARBOR 813 AREA CODE

Courtney207
Level 1
Palm Harbor, FL

FRAUD ACCOUNT ALERT - POTENTIAL THEFT/ROBBERY - TAMPA BAY, FL / PALM HARBOR 813 AREA CODE

Hello fellow HOSTS, 

We had a guest with an account "from San Fransico, CA" instant book for 2 adults and 1 infant. His profile picture was of him and a woman and he messaged saying he was traveling with his infant child - the booking was for a twin size bed. 

3 adult men arrived- 1 caucasion, 1 latino & 1 african american man entered our home when no one was on the premises.

We indicate our our lisitngs that we have surveilience on premsises (the common spaces/first floor/entry ways). Via camera's we could see the men recording our paintings, furnishings, etc., and then heard them when they noticed the cameras. Previous to this they unlocked the back entry access points through our sliding glass doors. When one of the party acknowledged the cameras and where they were located they abruptly left. 

We blocked access via digital key, and reported this to AirBNB. The guest confirmed with  AirBnb they were staying with us in the despite not being on premis. 

The phone number required for the digital key is a local 813 number. The picture on the AirBnb profile is of a man and woman in sunglasses. Account has a verified, government ID, e-mail address, and phone number with 4 reviews based out of San Fransico, CA.

HOSTS BE WARE.

I AM 99% CONFIDENT THEY WERE SCOUTING OUR HOME FOR THEFT AND THE ONLY REASON OUR HOME IS SAFE IS BECAUSE OF OUR HOME SECURITY SYSTEM. 

Kind Regards,

Hosts from Palm Harbor, FL

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Courtney207  I have to ask why you accepted a reservation saying 2 adults and 1 infant were going to sleep in a twin size bed? That would seem to be a red flag that would prod most hosts to ask questions or call Airbnb to cancel the reservation.

But I'm sorry this happened and glad your security cameras foiled the theft. 

BTW, the moderators of this forum will likely remove the guest information you posted. They usually do. So posting this here, unfortunately, is not likely to do much good.

@Sarah977 I felt the inquiry was suspicious, I questioned the guest on the sleeping arrangements and offered other better accomodating rooms. However, we previously had 2 great adult guests who utlized this room and they came prepared with their own air mattress/lounge chair to sleep.  I felt secure with the insurnace policy with AirBnb, however after researching others experiences I am a bit hesitant and glad we took matters into our own hands.

@Courtney207  Yes, you'd be wise to heed other host's experiences with the "host guarantee". It appears to be like pulling teeth to get them to come up with any compensation for theft or damages. It's just a bad joke. I hope you have your own home-owners insurance which covers damage or theft by guests.

I hope you've flagged this so-called "guest"'s profile, if Airbnb hasn't removed it yet.

I would also report this to local police and hopefully have them watch the video. These guys may be known to them.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Courtney207 Although you can't post the guest's identity here, you can post it on the Airbnb Guest Blacklist page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/188885775174427/