Fake Booking Enquiry

Rachel404
Level 1
Newcastle, Australia

Fake Booking Enquiry

Yesterday I received a booking enquiry as shown below (with personal info removed):

"I have been Airbnb hosting my 5Brm home in xxx for 12 mths now and I have just launched a cleaning service 'xxx'.
As myself and partner work fulltime, we know it can be a huge task to ensure the Airbnb property is immaculately cleaned for guests before arrival.
Therefore as it is almost holiday time, I am contacting hosts to offer cleaning services to Airbnb properties.
Price is negotiable, as a host I am experienced and pride myself on providing an exceptional clean home for my guests in a timely manner.
Please contact if you would like any further details.

I don't think this is an appropriate use of the booking enquiry feature and I'm not even sure it's a bona fide business. 

By using the booking enquiry, I am forced to respond to the enquiry or risk affecting my response rating, even if I am not interested in using their cleaning services.

As far as the existence of the business - I am still trying to understand how a couple can both work full time but still find time to clean other peoples' apartments. If I need someone to clean my apartment for a same day turnaround, it needs tobe cleaned between 11am and 3pm so I don't know how two full time workers could be available for this.

I have googled the company name they provided and neither the person's first name nor location match the information given in the message which leads me to be suspicious.

Anyone else experience something like this?

2 Replies 2
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Rachel404 Your response can be "this is advertising and not actually an inquiry", then archive the request, no need to actually accept or decline. Tho if you feel so inclined, go ahead and accept since they don't intend to actually come. There also is the ability within the message thread to mark an inquiry as spam. Go ahead and do that as well. 

No, this is not what the inquiry system is for, but ABB makes it impossible to just Contact Host without turning it into an inquiry.

Cate33
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Like Rachel in Australia, I've had people just enquiring about things, & because I'm new, I didn't know what to do. I answered the enquiries, but didn't accept, pre-approve or decline.  I see that ABB marks these as "not possible", which I am sure affects my ratings. So thanks also to Kelly in Austin, for pointing out the spam & archive options. 👌