Fake booking

Belinda141
Level 1
Maroochydore, Australia

Fake booking

Hi Everyone,

I have a guest who has booked checking in 23 December and out 27 December.  He has no photo on his profile and he has just joined Air bnb, no reviews.  I have messaged him to no response, I've just tried calling his mobile number and it states you can't contact his overseas number.  His profile states he lives in Winfield, QLD.  I smell a fake booking?  How do I deal with this?  This is potentially my holiday money I'm dealing with.

Thank you 

Belinda

Host from Maroochydore, Sunshine Coast 🙂

10 Replies 10
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Belinda141 I would contact Airbnb and ask them to cancel the booking penalty free. Just let them know you're uncomfortable with it. Then your calendar will be open to take another booking. 

Great thank you 🙂 Silly question how do I actually contact airbnb?  

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Belinda141Airbnb Australia number is 02-85203333

Hope everything works out for you.

cheers, Susie

Belinda141
Level 1
Maroochydore, Australia

Thank you 🙂

Salem2
Level 10
Al Hadd, Oman

@Belinda141 was the booking made through instant book? if you want more control over who books your property you can deactivate this setting and screen your potential guests, they will have to make an inquiry to book your property and through the dialogue you can decide whether you accept or decline their request. You can also add conditions to who can instant book, i.e. ID verified only.

I don't know that there is such a thing as a 'fake booking', as you have to actually pay airbnb to complete the booking process, there is no real reason for anyone to do this unless then plan to stay at your place. Also, there is no obligation to correspond with the host if the booking is made through instant book, clearly they are new to airbnb (no reviews) they may simply be unaware of how it all works. I wouldn't cancel the booking, as there is usually a penalty attached. There is still a week before the guests arrival, and they might just be late at responding. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

My first step would be a "Welcome to Airbnb" message.

Then ask him to complete his application with face picture and government ID.

Then, if he does not comply call Airbnb and cancel him.

There are many people new to Airbnb. They just don't understand the importance of trust in Airbnb.  Airbnb does allow reserving with only a cell phone number, so some people will choose the most expeditious and private way to make a reservation.

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

Hi @Belinda141 I would definitely check your IB settings.... I'm not sure how they were able to book with so little details.

Having said that, we have had so many newbie Airbnb requests or enquiries that come through to us without a profile pic. So many, that I now have a standard message template saved asking them to add a profile pic and share more information, for when yet another one comes through.... If they don't, I won't accept the booking. But I've never had to worry about that yet. They've all complied, and generally turned out to be great guests that are excited about their first ever Airbnb experience.

But I can understand your concern if they're not answering your messages.... Trust your instinct, it's usually right! 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Belinda141, I doubt this would be a 'fake booking' - why would someone do that? The guest would have already paid Airbnb as soon as they booked, and you will receive your money from Airbnb 24 hours after check in time. My suspicion is that it is a new user who probably doesn't have the app or check their emails often. However, if you are concerned, as the others have said, contact Airbnb and ask them to get in touch with the user and if necessary, cancel the booking. Never cancel the booking yourself, otherwise your calendar will remain blocked. Also check your Instant Book settings - if you want IB enabled, I recommend only allowing verified guests who have been recommended by other hosts. Like the others, I also ask people with no profile picture to upload one - it makes a big difference just being able to see a photo!

Hello everyone, I have a big problem with my jealous neighbor. She sends fake request from the different websites my apartment is listed . She even books with me way ahead in the year just to cancel in the last moment. She is smart enough to change her email each time and she cancelled always before a first payment is due.

What can I do? It's just a lot of work to write back, even with automatic messages. 

Thanks for your opinion!

Monika

How can she do this on Airbnb @Belinda141 

As you know she has to pay in full (or at least 50%) when making a booking with them.

Personally I have my cancellation policy set on strict. Why not change yours and then she will be liable for payment on booking.

Have you reported her harassment to the police/your council?