Fake extenuating circumstances certificate

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Fake extenuating circumstances certificate

I have a reservation for early September from a fully grown adult guest coming according to him with his friends. Today I get a note from Airbnb that his mother passed away and his reservation is canceled under extenuating circumstances. First off, while of course needless to say I feel for him and it is a tragedy to lose a mother, how is  this connected to a reservation six months out she is not part of? Ok, maybe this is a matter of opinion – maybe his religion requires him to mourne for a year.  I don’t know. The kicker is that the certificate is fake. I checked and it is from a small clinic where he works himself, however the Dr who signed the certificate does not work there! Or even comes up as dr. in search. I contacted Airbnb and they just said they felt it was legitimate. No explanation of discussion. I understand this is so far out, I will hopefully get another reservation but that’s not the point. 

84 Replies 84
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

As I have no idea what you can do about the above, can I change the subject @Inna22 

How did you get those green ticks on your listing title

Untitled3.png

f9d410e66ed18e06a30c5f909595367e815abb5c4fff25c312cc1d792d49668e

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 it's unfortunate, but really one of the items that must be learned and understood by any abb host is that at any given moment abb may change their mind about something (or allow a guest to change their mind about something) and there isn't anything we can do about it. I genuinely believe that abb will allow just about anything to be faked.

at least maybe go in and block this faker so that he can't try to grace you with his (non-)presence again.

@Kelly149 

I always knew that at the end of the day my cancellation policy meant nothing. But somehow I am still just as angry. Also, the more Airbnb is going to allow it, they more guests will find out and take advantage

@Inna22 yep, you promote what you allow

I'd be less angry if ABB showed any similar laxity with hosts, but No, it is one-sided

and this is why I prefer my Vrbo guests

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Inna22I remember our school days when everyone's grandmother died a few times until grandchild's graduation 😄 

Now I am experiencing the same excuses from contractors when they can't come the next day ( it takes 1 year of your life to renovate an apartment of 70 m2  in Croatia due to all the illnesses, child births and deads in their families)

@Branka-and-Silvia0 and traffic. Contractors always have the worst of luck with traffic. What it is open road for everyone else.

It's somewhat encouraging to realize that this happens all over the world. 

Standard Mexican all-purpose excuse- "I had to take my mother (or child) to the doctor." How could you possibly get mad at someone who had to take their sainted mother to the doctor?

Standard Mexican excuse for not phoning to let you know they couldn't make it that day so you didn't waste your whole day waiting for them to show up- "My phone was out of charge (or out of phone time)."

@Inna22  That's really outrageous- that they said it was legitimate when they obviously couldn't check the validity in a few seconds. They lie just like the guests do.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 

Please can you post the message from Airbnb where  'they just said they felt it was legitimate'.

And if you have proof it's a 'fake', can't you send it to their legal team for further investigation?

Personally, I don't take bookings many months down the line for a variety of reasons.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 @Kelly149 @Jeff158 

Before dismissing Airbnb and willy-nilly agreeing this is 'fake' or not knowing how to respond,

prima-facie there is a simple solution.

Inna should request the Guest send DEATH CERTIFICATE to Airbnb and let them question its authenticity.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Inna22   I don't understand why the guest would need to use extenuating circumstances 6 months in advance.  Do you?

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Linda108 

Yes, I do or would understand in the case of death if there are then legal issues to deal with.

Two examples:

1) When my mother died suddenly it derailed my life in a day. I suddenly had to deal with Probate & Inheritance Tax, including valuation of property. It took over 18 months!

2) In 2016 I had a Guest who was only due to stay a week. A Londoner due to go abroad.

In that week, an old friend of his family died. He initially had to extend to attend the funeral.

He then discovered the old lady had left him as one of the Executors of her Will.

His life plans entirely changed. He was still lodging with me 15 months later.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

They would only have got a 50% refund @Linda108 

Six months prior check in I always offer to refund if the dates get booked.  This has always been acceptable to a guest with so much advance warning.