Fake host

Fake host

I am a new guest user to Air Bnb and given their domination over the market, I am disappointed in the quality assurance. This site is for bookings all over the world which is amazing, however, it is extremely clear that many "hosts" are stealing pictures of hotels and rooms that are not actually available. On top of that, they are adding significant inflation to the pricing. This is extremely misleading, fraudulent and not a good reflection of a business. My question is, why are there not stricter screening processes for hosts? This should not be a craigslist type of site where you dont know what you're getting, if you're getting anything at all. I have had two people book through AirBnb that have shown up to the property that looks NOTHING like the photos, as well as not having a reservation AT ALL after paying extremely inflated rates. SCAMS. This is not good business practice and therefor I have not booked through AirBnB and may not ever get to enjoy the hype of this new company. Regardless of the manhandling AirBnB indicidents that the media has brought to light (as though incidents can happen anywhere at anytime), there is false advertising here. I hope the AirBnB can get it together and revamp a stricter process that ensures guests ARE GETTING EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE PAYING FOR! To the AirBnB team, if you were a consumer like us, would you want your entire trip to be ruined? Empathy goes a long way and if you can't conduct an honest business you're going to lose your place in the market.

8 Replies 8
Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

I don't see any of those problems you mention. Airbnb does a lot to prevent scams. Your post here seem delusional.

A few comments on your points though.

Why would anybody steel pictures from hotels when people rent out apartments/houses or rooms in those?

What's the scam here or even the point IF people were to steal pictures of hotels?

If you've rented a place that isnt't the proper place when you show up, you call Airbnb and they either help you find another place or refund you. That easy but not that common.

Rates aren't inflated. You can chose exactly the rate that suits you. Competetion between Airbnb's ? of course! but no scam nor inflated crazy prices. What do you base this notion on? Weird.

Another small factor: Airbnb can withhold payment to hosts up til 30 days for all new hosts  (and the sometimes do) JUST IN CASE of a scam. Normally you get the payment after 24 hrs of the guest check in but that can be postponed if Airbnb receives a report of if somebody flags an account.

I'm not sure what this post is about but you clearly don't know how Airbnb works. And regarding empathy and conducting a good business practice, I can confirm that they indeed do so. I have years and firsthand experience with them. Do they have problems that could be handled better? I'm quite sure they could but the picture you're painting is unusual and i'm curious to know what your motive is? 

Lastly, I love your comment about them losing their place in the market. I'm sure they THIS post made all of the difference and Airbnb will probably call you and get some more of your unique insight and thoughts on their business model an hire you as a consultant.

Christian, maybe you are delusional.

Fake listings, they advertise a special, and somehow they add to the nightly rate and remove the special as you are checking out?.  So you pay a little extra.  They hope you don't notice for 48 hrs, so they can keep the $50 cleaning fee?  I just had it happen to me and I cancelled in time.  I have no idea how to contact anyone real in airbnb to report this scam.  but it is real.

Josh

I just had this happen to me. Airbnb has taken my 50% deposit for a 2 month stay and I found the listing on another site, still with availability for my dates.  When I called the owners, I found out it is a scam.  How did this host pass the verification with Airbnb?  I have messaged him several times but he doesn't respond for several days now.  I am waiting to hear back from airbnb.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

New guest with no picture no verification and no bookings....

Sounds more like a Fake Guest.

David

My listing had a host with no picture.  I paid a 50% deposit for 2 months stay in Dublin for next January to March.  Then I saw the listing under Irish Land Trust with availability for my dates.  I called them this morning and it is a scam.  They did not rent to me and do not do long stays.  Also, their price was much higher than I was being asked to pay on Airbnb.  The Airbnb "host" will not answer my messages and Airbnb has still to respond to my messages.  The host had no other listings or previous reviews.  

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Macarena27 keeps copy/pasting this message in other threads so i've reported it to Airbnb. This profile seems to be a troll. 

Ton30
Level 2
Westmaas, Netherlands

I noticed that a complete unknown gay as a host is showing our property on the Airbnb website. He is also using our pictures which we provided to the travel agency for renting our villa via their own website.

Where (email address?) can I contact Airbnb to remove this listing and replace that by my own listing as the legal owner or legally appointed host?